Good "Introduction to Law"-style books? (1 Viewer)

Radio97

HSC
So I'm just about to start an undergrad arts/law degree, and I was wondering if you guys have any particularly good recommendations for books that just give a general insight into studying Law, how the legal system works in Australia etc.
I just thought it'd be good to get some grounding in it before I get to class (overkill, do you think?). I've actually already ordered one book, should be here any day now, Laying Down the Law (Cook, Creyke, Geddes & Hamer), and I'm also considering one called Surviving Law School (Brogan, Spencer).
Any other tips? I'm waiting til I get textlists + lecturer opinions before buying actual textbooks, all I'm after for now are some guides to studying, maybe some legal research/legal writing tips etc.
Thanks!

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
Mastering Law Studies and Law Exam Techniques by Krever has some useful things in it.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Laying Down the Law (Cook, Creyke, Geddes & Hamer), and I'm also considering one called Surviving Law School (Brogan, Spencer) - those two are both great. I used the first one in my intro to law class at UWS and bought the second its pretty helpful esp for the basics

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Understanding Tort Law by Carol Harlow, a very small book and easy to read. Probably the just slightly thicker than the typical "Cliff's Note" or the "..For Dummy" series.

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
I recommend "Laying Down the Law". It still sits on my bookshelf in pristine condition which just shows how much of it I actually read (or didn't).

twistedtigers

HSC
N/A
I used the Krever text and 'laying down the law', but only because I was forced to read them for an intro unit.

My recommendation - get these texts out of your uni library. They have some priceless information in them, but you generally won't find the whole book relevant and one quick reading is probably enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)