Good idea to switch schools after year 10? (1 Viewer)

esiotrot

HSC
I'm in Year 10 right now and currently go to a school ranked 200-250 in the state. I topped 7/8 subjects this year and came 2nd/3rd in maths.

I have an offer pending to go to a top 3 selective school next year (year 11) but I'm kind of worried that I'm going to get crapped on all over the place if I go.

Opinions?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd go, obviously your ranks will drop there as it is much more competitive, but you would be competing with these kids in the end HSC exams anyway. Going to the selective means that you get to see this competition.

Paradox1345

HSC
N/A
Consider both personal and academic reasons. Ultimately this decision is up to you.

Advantages of transferring:
- more competitive students/environment which may push you to work harder, and encourage you to achieve a much higher atar.
BUT if you don't deal with the stress well or you get discouraged by your sudden drop in marks (expect that your first ranks will dropped to average or above average) you may end up performing worse.

Disadvantages:
- you won't see the friends (that often) who you've probably known ever since year 7.
BUT you may make some very good new lifetime friends at your new school and still be able to meet your old friends on a regular basis.
- everything will be new, it may take a few weeks to settle in.

Good luck!

D94

HSC
N/A
You should change, but remember to keep up with your work. Just because you're now in a selective school doesn't guarantee you anything, but can put you in a great position with a good cohort.

MichaelPoops

HSC
TAKE THE CHANCE AND GO!!

The Benefits ARE GOOD...

Your HSC Results will Scale Up because of your Schools' Overall Performance in the HSC aswell as overall School Assessment Marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)