Going For Your P's - Tips (1 Viewer)

Pace_T

HSC
I’m writing this for the many people on this forum who are yet to go for their P’s test or have already failed. Since I’m a perfectionist and I don’t go down without asking a few thousand questions, I thought I’d share my notes that I have in my head to aid those who don’t have a driving instructor or have a really bad one :p

In the test you get an instant fail for:
-Going more than 10% over the speed limit (general rule of thumb, as it depends on your inspector)
-Cutting corners by driving over lines on the road, particularly at T intersections. For example, it’s easy to drive over the double line when turning right at a T intersection
-Hitting the kerb when doing reverse parallel park, or 3 point turn.
-Going severely under the speed limit
-Going off course (e.g. turning left when told to turn right)
-Not give way when a sign specifies to do so or giving way unnecessarily
-Parking or pulling over to the kerb when too far from it (around 30cm from when the gutter finishes)
-Go through a red light or disobey road signs (such as not stopping at a stop sign)
-Not correctly using blinkers (including not turning them off at the right time) more than two or three times
-Tailgating. Driving closer than the 3 second margin behind the car in front of you will decrease your final score. But tailgating is an instant fail.

The procedure you use most when driving is:
1. Look at your mirrors. If you are intending to use your left blinker, you look at your left side mirror and your rear view mirror. If you are intending to use your right blinker, you look at your right side mirror and your rear view mirror)
2. Turn on your indicator. Once you put on your blinker, take your time. You won’t get penalized for leaving your blinker on for a couple of seconds longer, but you will if you leave it on for a few seconds shorter than normal. When leaving the kerb, leave your blinker on for a couple of seconds.
3. Look over your shoulder. When using your left blinker, look over your left shoulder. When using your right blinker, look over your right shoulder.
4. Complete the manoeuvre by turning the steering wheel

It is this procedure that is used when you:
-Change lanes
-Overtake. This includes cars on the same lane as you and you are own a multi-laned road. It also applies when you are on a smaller 50km/h road and there is a car parked on your side of the road. In these two instances, you would use the aforementioned 4-step procedure twice. One to change lanes, or move to the other side of the road, and the other to get back onto the lane you were originally on.
-Turn enter/exit roads, such as regular intersections and T intersections. In the case of T intersections, once you look over your shoulder (3rd Step) you veer the car a bit to the left (if you’re turning left, if turning right keep the car straight) and that acts as your 4th step. Regardless of whether you have to stop at the end of the road or not, you don’t have to re-check your shoulder or your mirror. Just make sure that you’re far out enough to see for traffic and make sure you’re not over the line. (some inspectors would fail you just for this)
-Turn at a roundabout

Procedures for manoeuvres in test:

Leaving the kerb
This is basically the procedure above. However, note that once you look at your mirrors and look over your shoulder, the inspector will count to 5 in his head. You have five seconds to complete the manoeuvre before the mirror-check ‘expires.’ Bear in mind that you also have your blinker on for at least five seconds. So if it is unsafe to leave the kerb and you have already done the procedure, then it never hurts to check the mirrors and over your shoulder a second time, just in case your five seconds is up.

Kerbside Stop / Pulling over
Just use the 4 step procedure for this.

Reverse Parallel Park
*It is highly uncommon for an instructor to make you reverse parallel park in between two cars. They usually make you reverse parallel behind a car with plenty of space behind it.
*It is not very uncommon for them you put you on a slight downhill for the reverse parallel park. Just remember that if you’re in a manual, just hold in the clutch and control your speed with the brake.

The inspector will ask you reverse parallel park behind a particular car, parked on the side of the road.
1. Once you are 5 seconds away from coming up to the parked car, you perform the 4 step procedure explained above (as for the 4th step – steering, you veer your car enough to the left of the road so you pull up 1 meter away from the parked car).
2. Stop at the point where your side mirror is in line with the parked car’s side mirror.
3. Put the car in reverse and look over both of your shoulders
4. Reverse while keeping your eyes on the rear window of your car. Glimpse at your left side mirror every now and then, but make sure your head is turned and you have a full view of the rear window. You’ll lose points the moment you turn your head to the front of your car when you’re reversing.
5. When the side pillar of your car (the part that separates the left front passenger window to the left rear passenger window) reaches the end of the parked car, turn the wheel all the way to the left and continue to reverse until you reach a 45 degree angle. Then you turn all the way to the right and continue reversing.
6. Remember to straighten up by going forward when you reverse parallel park. Use you’re left blinker as you go forward. Make sure you aren’t too close to the car in front of you, keep it at a safe distance, because they can be pretty tough on parking too close to the car in front of you.

*If you see that your car is too close or too far from the kerb, you can correct it, but each time you change from drive/1st to reverse and the car moves in accordance with the direction that you set the gearbox, it counts as a move. You have 5 moves. Doing the reverse parallel park perfect is a single move.
*Aim for the tire to just touch the beginning of the gutter (the cement).
This procedure for the parking is fool-proof. I’ve never done a reverse parallel park before I knew this procedure off by heart, and I’ve never had to correct my reverse parallel park.

Three Point Turn
*Note that you’re inspector will never ask you to do a 3-point turn where the road is too narrow to do so. He/She will never put you in that position. So always assume it’s possible.
1. When the inspector asks you to do a three point turn, you pull over by using the 4 step procedure pointed above.
2. Turn your steering wheel all the way to the right and use the 4 step rule again.
3. Once you are as far as you can go, while turning the wheel left, make sure you look left and right down both ends of the road that you’re on to check for oncoming traffic, don’t panic if you block the road temporarily.
4. Make sure you stare at the rear window when you reverse back.
5. Once you reversed as back as possible or needed, make sure you put your right blinker on to re-enter the lane, and check your left and right again.

Hillstart
*Some inspectors won’t make you do a hillstart when you go for your P’s in a manual, but most will.
*You don’t always have to use the handbrake for this.
*They will ask you to do this after you do a kerbside stop, so remember to use the 4 step procedure outlined above to take off. It can be tricky since you also have to focus on the handbrake and the clutch.

Remember:
*Stalling the car doesn’t mean you fail
*You don’t fail if you voluntarily go under 2km/h or 2km/h over the speed limit. If you’re in a hilly area, it can be difficult to adhere to the speed limits yet not go too slowly. The inspector won’t think of it as a major mistake if you go much slower than the speed limit on a hilly street so long as your intentions are clear (to not go over the speed limit)
*You need to use the exit blinker in a tiny roundabout. Use it in ALL roundabouts. This includes a T intersection type of roundabout when you’re going straight through it.
*The inspector might be quiet on the day; it doesn’t hurt to start a small conversation if it eases your nerves
*If you end up getting an inspector that can’t speak English clearly, just ask him/her to repeat what she said. Doing the wrong thing because you misinterpreted something he/she said will result in a fail
*Have an energy drink about 30 minutes before the test, it will keep you very alert (probably more nervous too :p)
*Have a driving lesson before hand so you’ll hopefully do all your mistakes in the lesson and none in the test.
*Drive like an old lady. Be really patient in the test - for example, at roundabouts.
*Always keep one hand on the wheel at all times
*Most instructors will take you out on the main road only for a short period of time. The rest is done in mostly 50km/h zones.

My main motive for writing this is because I would hate to fail the test and wait another two weeks or more to do the test again and also forking out another $40 to pay the RTA. Luckily I passed first go with 100% in a manual. :D
I’ve probably made a thousand mistakes somewhere along the lines in this post and I’m missing key elements, but that’s the whole purpose of the thread – so others can contribute :)

Cheers and good luck.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
Pace_T said:
-Going more than 10% over the speed limit (general rule of thumb, as it depends on your inspector)

isnt it an instant fail if you exceed the speed limit by ANY amount?

and you're wrong about taking a wrong turn. I think you'll find that most, if not all, instructors are forgiving if you mishear directions in your test. its just a simple mistake and they can take you by another route if its too incovienient to turn around. i did it in my test, i just apologised and the bloke was like "its fine, its ok, just keep going up this road and take a RIGHT"

7th Sign

HSC

Man you dont get a instant fail if you go off course.

One of my mates took a wrong turn and they just made him take a different course...

He still passed.

CieL

HSC
Um.. hmm.. well, if you hit the kerb during a 3 point turn you fail

Pace_T

HSC
7th Sign said:

Man you dont get a instant fail if you go off course.

One of my mates took a wrong turn and they just made him take a different course...

He still passed.
Your friend must have had a really nice inspector. My instructor just kept on stressing the point that I must never go off course because it's an instant fail. :confused: It's always better to ask the inspector to repeat what he/she said if you didn't understand it 100% rather than taking a risk and just going by what you heard.

And as for being too cautious -standing at a roundabout a little longer than required doesn't result in an instant fail. However, waiting for your right of way in, a say an area where it has "turn left at any time with care" (for example) results in a fail as it demonstrates that you can't obey road signs.

As for instant fail with any speed limit- It's not a fail for going over a little bit over. I went 2km/h over the speed limit in one instance and 1km/h over in another. The inspector said it didn't matter as most candidates usually do this. So not only did I not fail because of this, it didn't result in any points taken off for the final score.

I suppose that whatever you we were taught through our experiences will always be subjective and when people go for their P's they should always assume that they are extremely strict to improve your chances of getting a pleasing result.

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
7th Sign said:
hahah no you dont...I remember in my test I was waiting at this busy as intersection and I was like starting to stress a bit because their were no gaps then I just went I lost a few points or some shit...the guy was like "I can wait all day, I dont care"
Well, im only on my Ls, ive had say 4 lessons with an instructor and 4 with the folks. My instructor is forever telling me that i couldve gone, or not to wait so long (usually at roundabouts)...but seriously i would rather be careful since im not sure than cause a crash if i dont move away quick enough.

gracie007

HSC
its easier than u think to pass.
book a test on a friday afternoon. increases ur chances. work out urself y

Aussiechick

HSC
You don't fail your test if you hit the curb in a reverse parallel park, you just lose a point. If you fix it up it's fine.

7th Sign

HSC
hahha friday arvo NO

go during the holidays thats when I went NO TRAFFIC AT ALL......

no school zones to mess with aswell :D

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
the mistakes:[just edit your post with these]

on speed:

going to slow is going under 15km. that is if its a 50km zone and you travel at 35 you ill either lose points or i think insta-fail.
Technically going even 1k over is classed as speeding and you can fail, but instructors will not fail you[ they have hearts 2] as this is counted as normal speed variance, just dont get an isntructor who is PMSing
it is for this reason that some intructors reccomend traveling around 5-10km under the speed limit to ensure that a) you dont go over the limit and b) should something happen you have a smaller stopping distance and more time to react[very useful when aproaching giveway or roundabout]

stalling
stalling the car does mean you fail, if you do it twice that is.

on the hillstart:
technically you do not have to use your handbrake, but if the istructor asks you to do a hillstart, it will be in an area where a handbrake is a good idea, not using one could lose you points. Safer to use handbrake on any hill imo

3 point turn:
it is called a 3 point turn for a reason, although they often get you to do the turn in a wide street, make sure you do not do a U turn

reverse park
when i went for my P's a little over a year ago you had 4 moves to do it perfectly so if you do it in 2 moves[which is the standard reverse into the spot, and creep forward to straighten up] good for you, but if it isnt quite right you can reverse backwards[ up to 7 metres from the front of your car to the back of the car infront away] then drive forwards [4 moves] and it is still counted as perfect: i.e no loss of points. i did this cause it was 2 far away from the curb and it was basically like a curb side stop which meant i got a perfect reverse park.
note: although you said a move is a directional movement in the direction the gearbox is set, you cannot cheat the system [as reverse parks are often on a slight incline] by clutch in [whilst in first] and rolling back a bit. It still counts as a move, what they mean is that if you car rolls back slightly it wont count.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
In some cases, dangerous driving will result in the examiner telling you to pull your car over to the side of the road, and then walking back to the RTA. Normally they won't say anything at all.

You don't automatically fail for hitting the curb in your test, though you do lose points. You do, however, fail if your car mounts the curb. This is especially easy when you attempt the reverse park without experience.

Also, watch out for crossings outside schools. Not all children crossings are at permanent crossings, and you may get a Stop sign next to a broken line, with an unbroken line a metre ahead. Ensure you stop at the Unbroken line. This is how I failed my test, and it cost me a whole bunch of money and time. But I didn't have any driving lessons except a few with my father so the test was a cheaper alternative to paid driving lessons.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
Serius said:
stalling
stalling the car does mean you fail, if you do it twice that is.

3 point turn:
it is called a 3 point turn for a reason, although they often get you to do the turn in a wide street, make sure you do not do a U turn
i thought you could stall any number of times. people ARE allowed to be nervous. even if stalling a few times lost some points, i dont think you can fail from stalling more than twice. but i didnt go in a manual, so im not really sure. it just sounds a bit wrong

ive never heard anyone saying that they were made to do their three point turns in wide streets. both of my pz tests were done in the narrowest streets they could find in the back streets of narellan, same as my brother. a wide street would hardly be challenging.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
haha Camden, i know some1 from there

yeah people are allowed to be nervous, thats why you only lose 1 point from your first stall [i stalled cause i was nervous] do it again though and the point penalty is much harsher, i dont know if its an insta-fail item or if it brings you down to within 1 point of failing but its risky to stall once even.[u need that stall saved up just incase] i was told i would have failed, but i did lose 2 points beforehand[ one from the first stall and one from failing to indicate]

i did mine in a wide street, it was a resedential street, but the kind with lines in the middle and a marked shoulder bit where u r supposed to park so if i swung wide[to the left into the shoulder parking bit] before doing the 3 point turn i could have made a U turn easily, all my friends say the instructor picked relatively easy places to do it, e.g wide street, low traffic density, not on a crest, nowhere near a bend, smooth properly sealed road etc etc.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Phanatical said:
Also, watch out for crossings outside schools. Not all children crossings are at permanent crossings, and you may get a Stop sign next to a broken line, with an unbroken line a metre ahead. Ensure you stop at the Unbroken line. This is how I failed my test, and it cost me a whole bunch of money and time. But I didn't have any driving lessons except a few with my father so the test was a cheaper alternative to paid driving lessons.
I don't understand what you are saying, can you please elaborate/re-explain? I often am not sure whether to stop at childrens crossings on weekends/when noone is around.

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
1. Drive like a saint
2. Be cautious, but not too cautious
3. Be aware of speed changes, school zones, stop signs etc
4. Drive around 5km/h under the speed limit
5. Be patient at intersections/ turns

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
seremify007 said:
I don't understand what you are saying, can you please elaborate/re-explain? I often am not sure whether to stop at childrens crossings on weekends/when noone is around.
In my case, there was a broken line with a stop sign next to it, and then an unbroken line one metre ahead.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You stop at the stop sign right?

... as for the crossing, sorry to ask this again but I didn't get a definite answer- if noone is at the crossing, do we have to stop/slow down?

Pace_T

HSC
Umm I'm not too sure on this, so maybe someone can clarify for me;
At the crossing, if it has a stop sign, you have to stop regardless of whether you see people crossing or about the cross. If the line before the crossing is unbroken, it's another way of saying there's a stop sign there whereas if there is a broken line before the crossing then you just have to slow down.
I think that's it. Either that, or I'm completely lost :confused: hehe.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Sounds logical Pace_T; and I know that stop sign means stop regardless... just the broken line thing confuses me. I guess an unbroken line, it makes sense to stop?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)