Go selective, or stay? (1 Viewer)

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Another side that you should consider is how well you would cope with the change, i changed schools in year 10 and found it really difficult. Since most of the groups are well established by year 11, often people aren't as open to making friends and this can make for a really really shit time which can impact on your grades. If you're an enthusiastic, resilient kind of person it probably wouldn't be a problem though.
this.

and my best friend since year five went to the school, so i have her and the boyfriend, but that's about it. i don't get invited to heaps of stuff my so called 'group' has, because their nights are all "traditions" with certain people and stuff like that. it's shit. but hey. i also find it hard because i had a real connection to my old school, like it really felt like home, and now i don't give a shit about graduating from high school cause i haven't been with this group from year seven, so they're not really my true high school peers if that makes sense? and i haven't been at this school for very long so it means nothing to me. but yeah. that's just how i feel. there are way too many factors to take into account for someone to give you an answer of what will truly be better for you. just go with your gut =].

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
this.

and my best friend since year five went to the school, so i have her and the boyfriend, but that's about it. i don't get invited to heaps of stuff my so called 'group' has, because their nights are all "traditions" with certain people and stuff like that. it's shit. but hey. i also find it hard because i had a real connection to my old school, like it really felt like home, and now i don't give a shit about graduating from high school cause i haven't been with this group from year seven, so they're not really my true high school peers if that makes sense? and i haven't been at this school for very long so it means nothing to me. but yeah. that's just how i feel. there are way too many factors to take into account for someone to give you an answer of what will truly be better for you. just go with your gut =].
Naw, thats exactly what it was like for me. Just try to put on a brave face and get involved even if it feels a little weird, usually once you put yourself out there people get friendlier and start inviting you out more.

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
Merewether High School?
I'm in year 11 there this year (I transferred this year)
Best decision I've ever made -
Although I hear SFX has a good reputation, I think you should definitely apply!
Everybody works together + you can be as competitive as you want to, really
(Teachers will help you if you WANT to be pushed, as well)

Amogh

HSC
N/A
thanks for your great replies.
merewether is ranked 25th in HSC 2008.
sfx around 180th..
big difference.
very hard that you have to select friends or education.
:(
LOL if you think of it that way then people left my school in year 10 and went to schools like girraween and baulko
my school isn't even ranked in the hsc list
its that hopeless
only around 10 people have done the hsc from my school
so ye that 'rank' isnt really a good depiction of how good the school is
i mean my school may sound bad but it isnt THAT pathetic..
i still want to leave tho..:D
so anyway
im in a pretty similar dilemma as you
i would recommend leaving your catholic school for a better option
don't think about friends and all while making such decisions
if you know you'll get better competition in your new school than go there asap

Uncle

Banned
HSC
I have gone around my school lately asking teachers if applying for Merewether (a selective high school in my area) and discontinuing my education in the Catholic system is a wise choice, and they have said it might be better to continue SFX (catholic senior high school) as moving to a completely different atmosphere might be difficult.

Would you recommend applying for a selective school, or just remain in the Catholic system?

My main goal is to get the best UAI (or ATAR now) I can so that i may study medicine in UNSW, and would do anything to help me get there. My teachers tell me i can easily achieve this in SFX, but i find that being in a selective school may help me get there.
Although i know such issues are up to my decision, i would like to get the most advice i can.

Thanks a lot for your time.
Regards, Daniel.
Your local school or nearest non-local.
Why waste your time on a catholic school or even a selective school?
Be just a regular school kid.

Another side that you should consider is how well you would cope with the change, i changed schools in year 10 and found it really difficult. Since most of the groups are well established by year 11, often people aren't as open to making friends and this can make for a really really shit time which can impact on your grades. If you're an enthusiastic, resilient kind of person it probably wouldn't be a problem though.

kooltrainer

HSC
changing to selective schools.. this was a huge decision i had to make.. but i ended up transferring ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)