Gillard Government postmortem (1 Viewer)

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
So where did it all go wrong for the Gillard government?

She never really was able to connect with the electorate. Before taking the leadership Gillard was universally viewed as having so much potential, so why did it end like this?

Communications? Bad advice? Gender? Manner of coming to power? Carbon Tax? Hung Parliament? Interested in your thoughts.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I think being female and obtaining her initial prime ministership by "illegitimate" avenues hamstrung her from the get go

let alone the carbine tax

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It's no secret I was a Gillard fan, but even I concede she was a horrible at politics. She made great policy decisions and negotiated through the difficult task of a hung parliament, but was hopeless at selling it to people. Rudd is the opposite. They actually could have worked really well together if Rudd had let Julia handle some things in the first term.

enoilgam

HSC
I think it was more the way she came into power, it just never felt legitimate. Plus, she failed to really establish herself as a "leader" if that makes sense. But I think the main issue was that she lacked X factor - that intangible quality which defines a strong leader. I dont know what it was, but she just didnt have it (neither does Tony Abbott in my view).

My two cents anyway.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I really don't like claims of illegitimacy, it makes me think people don't really get that we aren't the US, we operate under the Westminster system.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I really don't like claims of illegitimacy, it makes me think people don't really get that we aren't the US, we operate under the Westminster system.
The whole 'I voted for Rudd' nonsense really grinded my gears after Gillard took over.

It's one of those pet hates which I seem to get really anal about.

Emily Howard

HSC
so few polls showd rudd was unpopular

party seized the op to put gizzard in

ppl saw it as backstabbing n lyk at da tym she had a makeova leadin up to da depositin sit

dinkin dey though she was illegitimate n conniving

lets not 4get gen pop is moar concernd over votin a leadin dan party

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

ppl saw it as backstabbing n lyk at da tym she had a makeova leadin up to da depositin sit

Can you speak properly please.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it was more the way she came into power, it just never felt legitimate.
It's not usually a problem coming to power in that manner. For example it wasn't a problem for Keating nor with a number of state premiers. It was different with Gillard because there never was a long period of destabilisation of Rudd's leadership that needed to happen to get the electorate comfortable with the idea of change. To most it came completely by surprise quite literally in the dead of night. Second, Rudd was allowed to stay and spend 3 years actively destabilising her. He got his revenge. (A few parallels with Liberal leadership wars of the 80s)

enoilgam

HSC
It's not usually a problem coming to power in that manner. For example it wasn't a problem for Keating nor with a number of state premiers. It was different with Gillard because there never was a long period of destabilisation of Rudd's leadership that needed to happen to get the electorate comfortable with the idea of change. To most it came completely by surprise quite literally in the dead of night. Second, Rudd was allowed to stay and spend 3 years actively destabilising her. He got his revenge. (A few parallels with Liberal leadership wars of the 80s)
I think her bigger issue was her lacking intangibles.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A

No doubt.

Bitches be hatin'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)