Getting into selective (1 Viewer)

Magical Kebab

HSC
I'm currently in year 10 and want to enter Baulkham Hills high but the applications have closed. Do you guys think there is any chance of me getting accepted because it's either that or Manly I want to go to.
Any thoughts?

jnney

lemon
HSC
Unless you are an extremely outstanding student, I doubt they'll take a second look at you. Besides, llike you said, the date for applications has long past. But remember you can always try out again in year 11 (that is, if baulkham accepts seniors).

Magical Kebab

HSC
have you applied for baulkham yet?
Well not yet since i decided not long ago and it's holidays...
But on their website it said applications close in June or July for years 8-12, I'll probably just apply for year 12 if it's that.

interesting

HSC
N/A
Well not yet since i decided not long ago and it's holidays...
But on their website it said applications close in June or July for years 8-12, I'll probably just apply for year 12 if it's that.
i don't think you can change for year 12? because that would mess up what you should have learnt in year 11 and stuff

Amogh

HSC
N/A
I'm currently in year 10 and want to enter Baulkham Hills high but the applications have closed. Do you guys think there is any chance of me getting accepted because it's either that or Manly I want to go to.
Any thoughts?
I was in a similar position (only, in year 9 instead). You can try contacting them, but it was a straight no for me, without even a look at my application. That being said, please DO try!
A mate of mine went from a partially selective school to Sydney Boys just for Year 12, and for him the change has been manageable (despite it being HSC and all...so it's doable)
Even though it is a benefit being in a selective school (imo, I like all the competition), don't be disheartened if you don't make it in. At the end of the day, you can get a .95 from any school!

I don't know why I just had an unnecessary outpour...perhaps its the Stu-vac getting to me D:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Any thoughts?
This also applies to me as I now want to try out for Fort Street HS (or even Sydney Boys) as I kind of regret not trying out earlier in the year D: But, it seems like I'm getting too greedy due to the fact I have received offers from two other fully selective schools (Sydney Technical and Hurlstone Agricultural).
To be honest, if you can, you should try out for Baulko if it's possible because even if you don't make it in, you won't regret it at least (knowing that you had a chance). I felt as though I had a chance of making it into Fort Street but wasn't too confident back then and now I kind of regret it.
Overall, try out if you want and good luck! And remember, no matter what school you go to, you can always achieve your goal of 99+ if you give 100% effort.
May I ask, what grades did you get for your Half Yearly report?
I received 6As and 2Bs out of 8 subjects. So, if you get a report of similar caliber or even better, then you MAY be considered in my opinion for Baulko. Though, an entrance test will occur and the test + interview are two other factors that they consider.
Feel free to contact me if you need any advice or assistance!

Amogh

HSC
N/A
No entrance test for baulko, if I remember right

Magical Kebab

HSC
This also applies to me as I now want to try out for Fort Street HS (or even Sydney Boys) as I kind of regret not trying out earlier in the year D: But, it seems like I'm getting too greedy due to the fact I have received offers from two other fully selective schools (Sydney Technical and Hurlstone Agricultural).
To be honest, if you can, you should try out for Baulko if it's possible because even if you don't make it in, you won't regret it at least (knowing that you had a chance). I felt as though I had a chance of making it into Fort Street but wasn't too confident back then and now I kind of regret it.
Overall, try out if you want and good luck! And remember, no matter what school you go to, you can always achieve your goal of 99+ if you give 100% effort.
May I ask, what grades did you get for your Half Yearly report?
I received 6As and 2Bs out of 8 subjects. So, if you get a report of similar caliber or even better, then you MAY be considered in my opinion for Baulko. Though, an entrance test will occur and the test + interview are two other factors that they consider.
Feel free to contact me if you need any advice or assistance!
Yeah there isn't a test in the process of entry. For my half yearly report, all high 90's except for my 3 electives and geography (because I literally do nothing in class) and the comments are all good except again, for those subjects. Maybe that will have an affect if they even consider looking into it?

interesting

HSC
N/A
Yeah there isn't a test in the process of entry. For my half yearly report, all high 90's except for my 3 electives and geography (because I literally do nothing in class) and the comments are all good except again, for those subjects. Maybe that will have an affect if they even consider looking into it?
unless your prelim/hsc subjects have relevance to those shit subjects i dont think it would matter

fiesycal

HSC
it's probably too late to apply but I'd try anyway. If by some luck you manage to get in for next year or for Year 12 be prepared for the environment. Many people come to our school who are top of their cohorts in Year 10 and then when they get to Baulko they languish in the middle-lower half. Although some of them do very well. If you're currently not in a selective school just be pre warned the atmosphere is very welcoming but very competitive. This can be a good thing though as it pushes you to achieve the best you can. If you make it don't be shocked if you find yourself average all of a sudden.

Magical Kebab

HSC
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Does anyone know anything about Manly High because im also thinking of going there?

chevlr

HSC
yeh it's probably too late to apply to any selective as they all would have offered places last term. then again, i entered baulko halfway through the year (i had applied the year before) and it was a good move hsc-wise, so you should at least try.
good luck :D

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, I got A for English, Maths, Science, Commerce, PDHPE, IST and B for Geography and History but they mainly look at English, Maths and Science (maybe History and Geo too) in my opinion... But I think they might consider you but thing is, you need extra-cirriculars to back-up your application...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)