Getting Interviewed at an Investment Bank (1 Viewer)

treason

HSC
From my personal experiences and what I remember

Mac Bank (Melb)

- What did you do at EY(corp fin) ....I did summer there
- How do you value a company (i think i was one of a few who got asked this becuase of my previous summer in corp fin)
- What transactions have you been following
- Define beta..acccording to how you define beta, what is a company like xyz's beta

CSFB (Sing)

- What did you do at EY(corp fin)
- More questions about valutations, COE and components of that (e.g. how do you come up with a quick and dirty beta for indoneisan auto makers).
- Why IB
- Why this region
- Do you trade in shares (you wanna be careful with this answer according to my IB mentor)

Goldman (melb)
More of the same
+ how many planes flying over australia right now

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
treason said:
Goldman (melb)
More of the same
+ how many planes flying over australia right now
WTF?!! How did u answer that one?

slinky

A Very Important Member
HSC
N/A
Supra said:
lol....i was thinking the same, plus id reckon id struggle wit most ofthe questions on the list, id prolly jst bs my way through an interview like that, but then agian im jst a fool.....lol

treason

HSC
Supra said:
Knowing how the system works (i.e. hub ans spokes) helps you frame an effective answer.

Short of that, make some assumptions. It was just a math question I suspect, i wasn't fazed by it.

RIZAL

HSC
sort of getting nervous about the interview now...and still 7 days to go!

fin review is my friend.

treason

HSC
ND said:
Treason: so they didn't ask you behavioural questions?
I didn't get any for ib. And from speaking with my freinds it didnt seem like they did either. Having said that, you never know!

but my friend who went for an ops role had behavioural questions.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Isaaq said:
sort of getting nervous about the interview now...and still 7 days to go!

fin review is my friend.
ill just read up on the major stuff

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Had my interview today. It went alright I think. I'll wait for the outcome :p

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
jasee said:
Had my interview today. It went alright I think. I'll wait for the outcome :p
What kind of questions did they ask you?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
They asked me about uni and why I chose my degree, what subjects I liked and what I didn't like. They asked about extra-curricular activities and teamwork situations. Also about my goals. Then they talked about the IT division and asked me what type of role I want. That was all I think.

RIZAL

HSC
thanks mate, that helps.

Did you get IT specific questions, or are they gonna leave that for the 2nd interview?

Did they ask about your references or say they would call your references?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
The only IT specific questions she asked was what type of IT area am I interested in and what type of role I want, and then she talked about the different types of things people do there.

The website said reference checking is the last stage.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
jasee said:
The only IT specific questions she asked was what type of IT area am I interested in and what type of role I want, and then she talked about the different types of things people do there.

The website said reference checking is the last stage.
Out of curiousity, when are you notified about ur 2nd interview? my friend did his interview 2 business days after the closing date for the accounting division and is still waiting for them to respond.

ND

HSC
§eraphim said:
Out of curiousity, when are you notified about ur 2nd interview? my friend did his interview 2 business days after the closing date for the accounting division and is still waiting for them to respond.
I can't imagine they'd be handing out 2nd round interview offers until they've finished with the 1st round, so maybe end of aug? I'm just speculating though.

RIZAL

HSC
Had the interview today. I thought it went quite well. Jasee hit the nail on the head with what they asked. Big thanks to Jasee.

Good luck to ND (and seraphim if you haven't had your interview yet)....

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Omnidragon said:
Just curious... those guys/girls who got an interview with IBs, can you actually tell us what average grade you got for your BComm?
Well if you're applying for IB, then their expectations seem to be a lot higher than if you're applying for other parts of the business. Most of us here applied for accounting, finance and IT, so I think a credit average is usually alright.

I think with most of them, they want to see a balanced lifestyle. So besides your marks, they want to see that you've participated in extra curricular activities and worked well as a team and have some sort of work experience. This is evident by the similar questions that they'll ask you at any interview. So, while your still at school, and once you get into uni, start getting involved in stuff.

They told me they would reply back once the 1st round interviews were finished, which is the end of this week I think.

Well, glad to hear you went well Issaq! Good luck to you all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)