• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Getting Interviewed at an Investment Bank (1 Viewer)

mathemagician

HSC
N/A
Getting Interviewed at an Investment Bank - Macquarie

Hey my friend doing Actuarial Studies & Finance at UNSW is getting interviewed for Macquarie summer work. Anyone else going for the interview? Is it common for non-penultimate yrs to work as Interns over the summer vacation?

Btw, what kind of questions should he expect in his interview at the investment bank? I've heard that the interviews can be very tough.

Last edited:

baker182

HSC
mathemagician said:
Hey my friend doing Actuarial Studies & Finance at UNSW is getting interviewed for Macquarie summer work. Anyone else going for the interview? Is it common for non-penultimate yrs to work as Interns over the summer vacation?

Btw, what kind of questions should he expect in his interview at the investment bank? I've heard that the interviews can be very tough.
Applications only closed last Friday, I don't think they would ask people to come for interview's, that quick. Unless he applied for the May cut off date thing.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I got an interview for summer vacaction (IT though). Yes, applications did close last Friday and I got a first round interview offer on Monday, so it was very quick.

baker182

HSC
jasee said:
I got an interview for summer vacaction (IT though). Yes, applications did close last Friday and I got a first round interview offer on Monday, so it was very quick.
dam, guess I did'nt get a interview offer then :p

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Is it common for non-penultimate yrs to work as Interns over the summer vacation?

What kind of questions do they ask in interview ?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Usually, its the penultimate year students who work during summer vacation.

Erhm, well depends which round interview. The first round one is usually behavioural type questions. They'll ask you specific questions for which you have to come up with a situation, like when have you had a problem with a team member, or been in a leadership position, had to manage a group of people, making a choice between multiple decisions, and stuff like that.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
jasee said:
Usually, its the penultimate year students who work during summer vacation.

Erhm, well depends which round interview. The first round one is usually behavioural type questions. They'll ask you specific questions for which you have to come up with a situation, like when have you had a problem with a team member, or been in a leadership position, had to manage a group of people, making a choice between multiple decisions, and stuff like that.
Do they ask questions about stuff from the news? eg. our thoughts on China revaluing the Yuan

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
jasee said:
I sure hope not :p
Maybe it depends on which division you are applying for. I know for investment banking they ask tough questions.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah a friend of mine had an interview, and he said they asked general current affairs questions from the finance sector, in order for you to show them you have a genuine interest in keeping up to date with the market etc

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
ND said:
Minai: Was this an interview at macquarie?
I think so.
I think he said that the questions asked for your opinions on a particular market event, or recent trends and how that affects things..stuff like that.

ND

HSC
Ah ok, thanks mate.

edit: sorry, was that for a graduate position or summer vacation?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it was internship (summer vac) but the interview process is essentially the same anyway.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
I think it was internship (summer vac) but the interview process is essentially the same anyway.
How many positions are usually offered in each division for any typical bank/investment bank? And how would you rank the competition for positions in the different divisions. Eg Investment Banking would probably top the list, but what about trading, accounting, etc?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
§eraphim said:
How many positions are usually offered in each division for any typical bank/investment bank? And how would you rank the competition for positions in the different divisions. Eg Investment Banking would probably top the list, but what about trading, accounting, etc?
I can't really answer that, I'm only going by what friends have told me, having gone through the process.

You could try to look on their website's Careers section for grads and they might detail what and how many positions they have on offer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)