Geometry - Questions involving proofs (1 Viewer)

Shan4curry

HSC
I know it appears to be something petty like Geometry, but I would like opinions.

I've been practising some Geometry questions from past papers and my textbook today in preparation for the Trials. Sometimes, when I'm stuck, I come across the strangest proofs that I never even would've thought of by looking at what's provided in the answers section. A common one's using algebraic expressions to find angles or sides (not like sine rule or cosine rules, just really simple ones that look so obvious once you've seen the answer).
I'm not just talking these but many other seemingly 'complex' proofs.

So, I'd like to know (without this becoming a 'you suck, Geometry's easy ****' thread) how you attack these questions, and what you could reccomend I could do to better approach these sorts of questions. I feel better hearing what fellow students outside of my school would do to get mixed opinions.

Thanks in advance! Sorry if this sounds confusing...

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I just see it as a puzzle/strategy. Write down everything you know on a diagram, then play around with it a bit. Just fiddle around, and then look for the best method of attack.

Shan4curry

HSC
Aplus said:
I just see it as a puzzle/strategy. Write down everything you know on a diagram, then play around with it a bit. Just fiddle around, and then look for the best method of attack.
Yeah, I think I just probably need to think harder. I'm not much of a 'strategic thinker' in general. =P
Video games on the other hand... =)

Anyways, thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Just patience, I guess....go through all the theorems that you know.

red-butterfly

HSC
well its more like you've got to look at the shape at different angles and it takes time and practice ^ ^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)