• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Geometric sum formula (1 Viewer)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
both formulas = the same output, can we just use the second one?

in my textbook (MIF)

Sn = (a(r^n-1)) / r - 1 for absolute value of r is > 1

OR

Sn = (a(1 - r^n)) / 1- r for absolute value of r is < 1

Now can I just use the second one, I think the two negatives make the positive output which = the same ouput as first formula.

timinator1993

HSC
Yea, i only remember one of them, just be careful about the signs thats all

maxc16

Get some
HSC
both formulas = the same output, can we just use the second one?

in my textbook (MIF)

Sn = (a(r^n-1)) / r - 1 for absolute value of r is > 1

OR

Sn = (a(1 - r^n)) / 1- r for absolute value of r is < 1

Now can I just use the second one, I think the two negatives make the positive output which = the same ouput as first formula.
Assuming you meant Sn = (a(1 - r^n-1)) / 1- r for the second one, then yes either works. Depends if r is greater or less than one, it makes it easier to choose the relevant one.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Assuming you meant Sn = (a(1 - r^n-1)) / 1- r for the second one, then yes either works. Depends if r is greater or less than one, it makes it easier to choose the relevant one.
nononono I didn't mean that. Anyways I've tested it on various questions and I get the same results with either formula, esp when r is > 1, i can still use the r < 1 formula and get the right answer.

My question is would a marker bitch about it in the HSC and say you used the R < 1 formula where u should of used the r > 1 formula?

*note the text book says they are the same formula, just rearranged.

I mean it just makes it a tad easier if there's just one formula to remember becasue it relates closely to the limiting sum formula Sn = a / (1 - r)

hscishard

HSC
nice work dude, they're exactly the same thing.

Try multiplying one of the formulas with -1/-1. What do you get OMG?

RawrJohnT

HSC
I REALLY don't see how it's difficult to decide whether to have r-1 or 1-r. If you're that lazy I guess you can just select one of the formulas, but seriously..?

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
I only use

BUT just remember that there is the alternate form (which isn't hard to remember). If you get a -ve answer use your common sense about the question.

Last edited:

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I REALLY don't see how it's difficult to decide whether to have r-1 or 1-r. If you're that lazy I guess you can just select one of the formulas, but seriously..?
I'm not lazy. I'm just curious as to what is right and wrong, seeming that both formulas lead to a correct solution.

hscishard

HSC
You haven't specified whether or not your question is answered.

Take your first equation
a(r^n - 1)/ [r-1]

= -a(r^n -1)/ -[r-1]

= a(1-r^n)/[1-r]

OMG, what? They're the same thing! No wonder it works whenever I use the "incorrect formula"...

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Of course the 2 formulae are the same thing - it's just that they suggest you use the 2nd version if |r| < 1 to avoid careless mistake from negative numbers.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Of course the 2 formulae are the same thing - it's just that they suggest you use the 2nd version if |r| < 1 to avoid careless mistake from negative numbers.
oh, Yeah i see now, you could get a negative "a", I was doing loan repayments, that "a" will never be negative in repayment questions.

HSC
They are 100% THE SAME. The marker cannot bitch about it because they are exactly the same! It is 'more convenient' or whatever, but both are EQUALLY as correct. I like to use the one with 1-r at the bottom because it looks nicer. Besides...just write the substitution and shove it in your calculator =D

Last edited:

DanJohnson

Premium Member
HSC
are you really that lazy? you spent more time making this thread than actually memorising both formulas

funnytomato

HSC
are you really that lazy? you spent more time making this thread than actually memorising both formulas
formulae? lolz

or you could derive it if you happen to forget the formula (as long as you don't forget how to derive it), which only takes 3 lines anyways

i don't think you would get marks deducted if you use the "wrong" one

DanJohnson

Premium Member
HSC
formulae? lolz

or you could derive it if you happen to forget the formula (as long as you don't forget how to derive it), which only takes 3 lines anyways

i don't think you would get marks deducted if you use the "wrong" one

straight off wikipedia:

"In mathematics, a formula (plural: formulae or formulas) is an entity constructed using the symbols and formation rules of a given logical language"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)