Geography fieldwork? (1 Viewer)

Jumper :^)

HSC
So I havent ever actually done any fieldwork in geography. I've got all the points on making a RAP and everything, but I'm most likely going to need some imaginary fieldwork to write about in an exam.

So has anyone got any ideas for fieldwork I could have done?
What's everyone else done for fieldwork?

Thanks for any help.

speedofsound

HSC
We went to Myall Lakes and just observed the land and water and the ways in which human interaction impacted the environment (eg rubbish). Pretty straight forward.

dc1337

HSC
We did fieldwork excersise in Pyrmont about urban growth and decline.

rolror88

HSC
N/A
So you haven't gone on any geo excursions to places?..

Well, we went to the Northern beaches (I think) and did it on costal management at Collaroy and Dee Why.

dc1337

HSC
Oh wait, we did. Last year we went to a place called field of marsh. Can't remember clearly what we did. Measured some stuff, drew some stuff.

Somnolence

HSC
Our School made a fieldtrip to Cronulla beach.

You will probably need to be able to describe how you have collected primary and secondary data from your area of choice. We took temperature, humidity, water temperature samples, made observations on the environment, took information from reports on the area, threw a cork into the beach to observe longshore drift, etc.

We mainly focused on observing the issues that were impacting the coastal environment and the role of Government and NGOs in combatting these issues.

Cronulla Beach is an area mainly focused on tourism, and so the council has the responsibility of providing facilities for tourists, but also making sure that this does not impact on how the site is used by other people, such as residents, environmentalists, etc.

One major issue at Cronulla Beach is the erosion of sand dunes and the beach, the impact of this issue is that it discourages tourism in the area, due to the Sutherland Shire council's dependance on the area for money, they have devised strategies to combat this issue. In 1974, after huge storms washed away most of the sand/sandunes on the beach, the council constructed a very expensive "seabee wall" to absorb the impact of high energy waves and to decrease the amounts of sand washed out to sea. Other strategies include the replenishment of the sand or "beach nourishment programs" in the area by simply dumping large piles on the beach every few months. These strategies each have implications - they destroy the visual amenity of the area, they cost money, they affect the environments the sand is taken from, etc. Other strategies to protect the sandunes include the planting of vegetation over the dunes, the construction of silt fences, and the construction of pathways to prevent human interference, etc. There are so many other things that you can discuss.

The main thing with the fieldwork aspect of Geography is to have knowledge of a certain physical environment, the problems that impact that environment, the role of Government and NGO in finding solutions to problems in the environment and the implications of their choices to other aspects of the environment. Think Tourism/Ecosystem/Agriculture/etc. I hope this has helped in someway, and I only wish I could give you more information, but there's just too much to discuss in Geography.

These sites may be of some help, but if your class hasn't studied coastal environments, then you would probably be better off doing a RAP, etc on an environment related to that field.
http://www.skwirk.com.au/p-c_s-16_u-140_t-414_c-1451/coastal-management/nsw/geography/issues-in-australian-environments/geographical-issues-physical-environments

http://www.sutherland.nsw.gov.au/ssc/home.nsf

Good Luck! :D:eek::D

Last edited:

robot rabbit

HSC
I did one on the impact of improved infrastucture on the urban environment. I used my local shopping centre as it had been redeveloped rather recently.

I took photos, surveyed, took offical data and counted people for my data.

The infrasturcture improved the area's economy and may have potentially attracted others to the area as the area now had improved facillities. The impact was that damage was being caused towards the environment was both short term and long term through pollution: litter and air.

My reccomendations were actually introducing a recycling program (Company), sending letters of request for the recycling bins (individuals), using bins provided (individuals) and lastly cleaning up the area (individuals and community).

Last edited:

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Jumper :^) said:
So I havent ever actually done any fieldwork in geography. I've got all the points on making a RAP and everything, but I'm most likely going to need some imaginary fieldwork to write about in an exam.

So has anyone got any ideas for fieldwork I could have done?
What's everyone else done for fieldwork?

Thanks for any help.
What, you did no fieldwork whatsoever? Slack school much. If it's private I'd be hauling my ass outta there quick smart.

Umm, mangroves. Boring.

HSC
Hahaha that's right everyone- NO fieldwork. The whole geography department at my school is kind of a joke, but my teacher is by far the worst of them all- when I asked him yesterday what I was meant to do if I got asked about fieldwork, he showed me a page in the textbook.
The wrong page.
Oh gee, thanks Sir. :mad:

Did I mention that last year he forgot to teach his class about human rights and reconciliation?
...and it was their 15-marker. Bet they were pleased :)

Last edited:

HSC
supercalamari said:
What, you did no fieldwork whatsoever? Slack school much. If it's private I'd be hauling my ass outta there quick smart.

Umm, mangroves. Boring.
Catholic actually :)
Apart from the geo teachers its ok.

Oh yeah and thanks everyone for your help! I've finally decided on- from now on, if anyone asks, I went to the beach and studied the impacts of human activity on the coastal environment and possible actions people could take to manage these impacts, ok? ;)
I might actually go down there tomorrow.

Last edited:

indielove

HSC
Jumper :^) said:
Hahaha that's right everyone- NO fieldwork. The whole geography department at my school is kind of a joke, but my teacher is by far the worst of them all- when I asked him yesterday what I was meant to do if I got asked about fieldwork, he showed me a page in the textbook.
The wrong page.
Oh gee, thanks Sir. :mad:

Did I mention that last year he forgot to teach his class about human rights and reconciliation?
...and it was their 15-marker. Bet they were pleased :)

woahh dodgy much.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)