General Thoughts: Science (2 Viewers)

zoro88

HSC
Lol, for that question, I thought they wanted a different scientific theory other than Darwin/natural selection, since that was the one we had previously done so I put inheritance of acquired characteristics, aka. Lamarckism. My evidence for that was the slow changes in a species as shown in the fossil record of our geological history.
yeah that had crossed my mind as i was reading the question, because that flow chart was only just a few questions back.
yet im preety sure if they wanted a different theory they would have noted it in the question "other then natural selection by darwin"
otherwise they can't really not give you the marks...can they?

xMaFF

HSC
Hello, fellow Year 10's ^__^

I put:
- HYDROGEN
(as hydrogen is present in all acids, right? right?! =S)

- UTERUS
(that's where the embryo develops into a foetus, I think?)

Did anyone else put:
- INFECTUOUS for one of the short responses?

Overall, I thought the school cert exam for science was easy.
Anyone could have done well if they paid attention throughout yr.9 and 10...

Congratulations all Yr. 10's and good luck for your results!

:apig:

Mythril

HSC
Well, either one should be fine as they are both scientific theories but as long as you have convincing evidence to support your theory.

miss giggles

HSC
you know that question about maintaining humans as functioning organisms...and it said 'use the source but the source was like digestive and excretory systems and i talked about the nervous and endocrine

am i going to fail that question?????

no i'm pretty sure nervous and endocrine are the right answers , they did say use the source to answer this qyestion however i think they only meant question(a not question(b

hul0

HSC
Hello, fellow Year 10's ^__^

I put:
- HYDROGEN
(as hydrogen is present in all acids, right? right?! =S)

- UTERUS
(that's where the embryo develops into a foetus, I think?)

Did anyone else put:
- INFECTUOUS for one of the short responses?

Overall, I thought the school cert exam for science was easy.
Anyone could have done well if they paid attention throughout yr.9 and 10...

Congratulations all Yr. 10's and good luck for your results!

:apig:

yes i put infectious too and there seems to be a confusion whether its 'contagious' or 'infectious'

this is from the BOS syllabus

5.8.4 humans
b) describe some responses of body systems to infectious and non-infectious
diseases

its under the heading humans and BOS don't normally ask us anything outside the syllabus...
so i think both CONTAGIOUS and INFECTIOUS IS RIGHT

=}

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
no i'm pretty sure nervous and endocrine are the right answers , they did say use the source to answer this qyestion however i think they only meant question(a not question(b
That is a serious mistake on their (BOS) part. There is no such thing as "question (a and question (b" there is part a and part b of question 6X (i think it was 62).

burkefan

HSC
Well with the theory, I wrote about the Big Bang. As it did say scientific theory and said about COBE.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
That is a serious mistake on their (BOS) part. There is no such thing as "question (a and question (b" there is part a and part b of question 6X (i think it was 62).
Did the paper specifically state that you had to use the source to answer the question? My understanding is that it implies you may use the source in conjunction with your own knowledge to answer the question, and thus you were expected to know endocrine and nervous systems for that question.

But yeah, the wording was ambiguous, especially since there were two combinations of answers that fitted (nervous and digestive or endocrine).

burkefan

HSC
I agree mirakon... so the speculation begins... well in the exam, for the long response anybody want to add to this list to remember what the q's were:

- Discuss the impact of replacing fossil fuels with energy sources...
- The one with the dessert and geology etc
- The thing on evolution and the theory you had to write about
- The reproductive system (label the parts)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Did the paper specifically state that you had to use the source to answer the question? My understanding is that it implies you may use the source in conjunction with your own knowledge to answer the question, and thus you were expected to know endocrine and nervous systems for that question.

But yeah, the wording was ambiguous, especially since there were two combinations of answers that fitted (nervous and digestive or endocrine).
Yes i think ill try and contact BOS and get this sorted out lmao.

xMaFF

HSC
yes i put infectious too and there seems to be a confusion whether its 'contagious' or 'infectious'

this is from the BOS syllabus

5.8.4 humans
b) describe some responses of body systems to infectious and non-infectious
diseases

its under the heading humans and BOS don't normally ask us anything outside the syllabus...
so i think both CONTAGIOUS and INFECTIOUS IS RIGHT

=}
Oh nice :)

Thanks for responding.

I was kind of getting worried. People were saying it was: "BACTERIA"

And I was like... That can't be right? =S
LOL.

joeym132

HSC
wat did u guys get for these multiple choice?

1.there was a flow chart thingy about wine......the question asked how is this an example of biotechnology??
the only answer i remember in the test was can be consumed by humans.

2.which series circuit was it?

3.what is an advantage of mutation?
the only ones i remember r
can replicate exactly and can have variations

4. the last question?
higher than 4000 or lower?

5. if someones skin is burnt or sumfing like that.....then there is mutation?
it comes back the same as before? or
comes back stonger? only ones i remember

6. which beaker tested for water only?
1 and 3 or 2 and 3

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
wat did u guys get for these multiple choice?

1.there was a flow chart thingy about wine......the question asked how is this an example of biotechnology??
the only answer i remember in the test was can be consumed by humans.

2.which series circuit was it?

3.what is an advantage of mutation?
the only ones i remember r
can replicate exactly and can have variations

4. the last question?
higher than 4000 or lower?

5. if someones skin is burnt or sumfing like that.....then there is mutation?
it comes back the same as before? or
comes back stonger? only ones i remember

6. which beaker tested for water only?
1 and 3 or 2 and 3
1. I got because it used living things. Biotechnology definition: the use of living things to make useful products.

2. I got the weird dangly one that seemed like a parallel circuit but was series. C i think it was.

3. I can't remember what I got, but I think I got something along the lines of variation.

4. I think i got lower than 4000 but I can't remember.

5. I don't even remember being asked that question

6. 2 and 3.

joeym132

HSC
1. I got because it used living things. Biotechnology definition: the use of living things to make useful products.

2. I got the weird dangly one that seemed like a parallel circuit but was series. C i think it was.

3. I can't remember what I got, but I think I got something along the lines of variation.

4. I think i got lower than 4000 but I can't remember.

5. I don't even remember being asked that question

6. 2 and 3.
thanx

and just wondering wat u wrote for the flowchart in the writing part as well as the mass and weight

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
thanx

and just wondering wat u wrote for the flowchart in the writing part as well as the mass and weight
For the flow chart

Variation in population + Parents producing more offspring than needed to replace them
=
Increase in population
=
Environmental pressures selects and rejects others.
=
Those with favourable characteristics enhance their chances of survival in an environment. Those with unfavourable characteristics will find the environment inhospitable and die
=
Those with favourable characteristics will have a more likely chance to produce offspring. This will increase it's gene population.

The mass and weight dilemma.

Mass is the amount of matter an object has. It is measured in kilograms. The mass of an object is the same wherever you are in the universe. The astronaut will have the same mass on the moon and in earth.
Weight is the force of gravity pushing you towards the centre. It is measure in Newtons. Weight depends where you are in the universe. The astronaut will have a light weight on the moon than on earth.

joeym132

HSC
For the flow chart

Variation in population + Parents producing more offspring than needed to replace them
=
Increase in population
=
Environmental pressures selects and rejects others.
=
Those with favourable characteristics enhance their chances of survival in an environment. Those with unfavourable characteristics will find the environment inhospitable and die
=
Those with favourable characteristics will have a more likely chance to produce offspring. This will increase it's gene population.

The mass and weight dilemma.

Mass is the amount of matter an object has. It is measured in kilograms. The mass of an object is the same wherever you are in the universe. The astronaut will have the same mass on the moon and in earth.
Weight is the force of gravity pushing you towards the centre. It is measure in Newtons. Weight depends where you are in the universe. The astronaut will have a light weight on the moon than on earth.
band 6 for uuu

joeym132

HSC
wat was the short answer response to the lava question?? i thought it was convection??

and is infectious correct??

what were the two systems in that question and what do they do?

and wat was labelled z and wat does it do?

LH-Mirror

HSC
The lava thing was 'Convection'
I labelled Z as Uterus, where the zygote attaches it selft to develop as a foetus and baby.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)