General thoughts on the whole English Adv. Paper 2 (1 Viewer)

MajinR

Procrastination Master
HSC
i wanted to write in different text types :(

a speech, an interview, a feature any/all of those :(

leigha

HSC
Don't worry i wrote it as in straight essay format-what informal language?u just had to make it persuasive with ur point of view inserted every now and then. anyway who cares-no more english ever!i'd pre-prepared essays for emma/clueless and FL so i reckon i did okay on those ones...screwed on mod B.

Mandy101

HSC
I actually thought it was rather difficult. My heart almost stopped when I read the questions for the first time. But once I drew up my plans, I calmed down. I wouldn't say it was an easy paper though?!

mikenov4

that paper was fucked....i knew my work but got so stressed that i spent 1.5hours on bladerunner/bnw and had 30mins to write 2 essays....

elliotv

comparisons

it's a bit irrelevant whether its easy or not - everyone gets the same test. so its easy for you, but its also easy for the guys next to you and those in the next school and everyone. Its still going to be the skills and preperation that you came into the exam with that differentiate you from others. so i don't get the point in examining the exam in detail and orgasming over the fact that you found it easy or crying cos you found it hard

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Meads said:
Very straight-foward paper, where I think the good students will be seperated from the average students is in the module requirements. For instance 'In The Wild' required the two texts AND context to be compared in order to formulate the response. You may get away with an ok mark if you showed how interest was maintained without looking at context, BUT the better marks will go to the students who were able to do so. Same goes for Critical Study module, where the texts reception in different contexts should be an area you look at in your argument.

btw - by no means am i saying i am one of the these 'good' students. lol.
Nevertheless, a comparison of text and context for Module A, as well as a comparison of the reception of texts in different contexts for Module B is now and always has been part of the rubric. So even though previous exam questions didn't specifically direct students towards those areas, it was still required nonetheless.

Imo, you can get away with a 13-15/20 without a mention of context provided your response is good. Though I think even a brief mention of context could get you 17-18, and a sustained reference to context would get you a 19-20 (from what I can gather, given the marks for the essays I've given to my teacher who marks Module A)

For Module B, I made a comparison of the speeches' reception now and when they were delivered. However, I don't think I made enough reference to construction/language/content...the latter two were ok, though reference to "construction" was probably scant in my essay - I had to make up something about "structured rhythm and cadence" :confused: + I just threw in some criticism for good measure :p

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Easiest modules paper ever. I think that however poses a problem in that more people will go well, so a closer range of marks *Shrugs*. I wish I could've done stuff a litttttle better but I'm happy with what I got done.

mizza

Miry
HSC
mizza

ellio tv is exactly right. Their is no point stressing over the english exam. For those of you who thought it hard but studied well, then rest assured your knowledge will come through to the markers in the exam and will hopefully award you some extra marks. Others who thought it easy and completed their essays may not have discussed it in the same depth that you did. I attended an HSC talk once and the marker said that when marking essays they are pretty lenient because they look at it as being a draft, if they find potential then they give you the marks. That and my prayers for Divine Intervention are keeping me optimistic and will hopefully help you all breathe easy too.

H.S.What?

HSC
yea i thort it was not that bad but section III was kinda gay. Hard to adapt question to antony and cleopatra in my opinion, regarding 'emphasis', etc.

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
I thought it was all really quite easy, they let us off for all english... General questions, nice and easy... I think module A could have been hard, I guess, but once I figured out what UI could say to answer the question, it was easy.

SarahJZ

HSC
I thought it was good...

Nearly cried when I saw THREE speeches...thought to myself hey they won't ask for 2 additional in Powerplay...wish for bluddy thinking...

It could be possible that the reason they gave us 3 essays is that they balanced out the difficulty in making us do 3 of something in Section II...just a thought...

Powerplay's question was iffy...even the teachers said that it was hard to understand under exam conditions...I dunno...I shoved in a few emphasis etc points in there trying to sound like I was addressing the question, when I was sooo not...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I wasn't prepared for the THREE poems but I think I went okay overall... Didn't really like my Mod A. Not expecting very high marks (16/20, 17/20, 18/20) but should be ok I hope^^ At least no more English.. ever!

Btw SarahJZ- we have the same b'day =]

hayley232

HSC
seremify007 said:
I wasn't prepared for the THREE poems but I think I went okay overall... Didn't really like my Mod A. Not expecting very high marks (16/20, 17/20, 18/20)

lol ur not expecting high marks? i think 18/20 is pretty damn good! i would beg for a 17! my best seems to never get over the 16 mark...
good luck!

adrenaline88

Medicine...
HSC
I thought Paper 2 was excellent! The fact that they didn't ask for something ridiculous like a feature article (*cringes*) or a conversation made me almost jump out my seat during reading time. GO BOS! WOO! (except for question 1 of paper 1- they're wankers in that respect)

sexo9800

A place far from Sydney, but soon, Surry Hills!
HSC
SarahJZ said:
I thought it was good...

Nearly cried when I saw THREE speeches...thought to myself hey they won't ask for 2 additional in Powerplay...wish for bluddy thinking...

It could be possible that the reason they gave us 3 essays is that they balanced out the difficulty in making us do 3 of something in Section II...just a thought...

Powerplay's question was iffy...even the teachers said that it was hard to understand under exam conditions...I dunno...I shoved in a few emphasis etc points in there trying to sound like I was addressing the question, when I was sooo not...
i could not cocnur with this more. i looked at Module A (I do William Wordsworth + David Malouf) and thought yeah this is O.K, then flicked over and nearly pulled out a cigarette, THREE SPEECHES. i had an Australian speech prepared just in case they stipulated one, so i wrote about Cicero, MLK AND Keating. the question was fairly easy enough though. a good question to get in all you know. then, as i casually turned the page, WHALA! the most screwed up question with the most screwed up stipulations. 2 SUPPLEMENTARY. now yes i must admit i am lazy in not preparing others, but paper 2 i feel is really disproportionate. Paper one has the same time amount for one terms work, and paper 2 3 terms of work. How do they figure that? anyway, overall i felt it was a no brainer, questions generally broad. Although i do have to vehemently cocur that the Powerplay question was a little diffuclt to get ur head around in exam conditions.
X1 Monday. YAY (said with a juxtaposed grin) :)

Boo_

HSC
I liked the paper, the questions weren't too hard, was surprised that they asked for three poems in module B, but not too troubled by it. the questions seemed a bit...generic in how they were quite easy to grasp. i knew like the basics of what i wanted/needed to write, and jst rattled it off as usual, and just changing bits here and there to suit the question.

i do feel sry for those who only studied 2 poems, some of my friends did, but yeah, bos was bound to do something like that eventually...

the only think im worried about is that i didnt cram enough contenet into my essays, these english exams would be alot easier if the exam was 3hrs, giving more time to write the essays, but saying that, the marking criteria would be alot harder, so yeah, 2hrs is good...

slinky_cumquat

Geriatric
HSC
i was surprised they didnt specify the text types! i was like.. so im going to write.. another essay? oh well, was nice and flexible.

the Lear and Truth questions threw me at first but i managed to work around them. but emma/clueless was a sinch! so simple, loved it. probably my most confident exam so far (out of english 1 and DT.. which was today as well.. damn bitches of BOS)

H.S.What?

HSC
SarahJZ said:
I thought it was good...

haha i hear ya ... did exactly the same thing ... added a few points on emphasis and deliberate events or watever it said...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)