General Thoughts: Modern History (1 Viewer)

ashleigghh

HSC
thought it was a good paper
soviet union --> stalinism as totalitarianism great
cold war --> arms race great
gorbachev --> i thought the quote was an interesting one. i needed to reach a bit to link it with him
ww1 --> what i expected :)

hopes extension history is as good!

Sean1

HSC
What did people write for the Indochina question with the Geneva Peace Agreement?
Worried. :mad1:

JessicaCaroline

HSC
What did people write for the Indochina question with the Geneva Peace Agreement?
Worried. :mad1:
I stupidly did that question and almost immediately regretted it. Unfortunately, by then there was not time to switch to the other, infinitely more preferable other question..

What did I say? Something about how the Accords split North and South but as to how that affected the developments, I had nothing.. So, so bad...

I rather don't want to read what's posted after this so I don't have to have it rubbed what I obviously should have said..

Sean1

HSC
Jesus christ I wrote something similar.

Silly of us yeah, but it'd be more silly of us to feel silly! RIGHT?!

We'll be fine.

JB10

HSC
Suspension of elections and how that began the conflict pretty much.. US sending advisors over and in 1961 realising that they had to do the fighting if they were going to stop the spread of communism (containment, domino)

EgyptianKing

HSC
Flipping beautiful!

Loved WWI
Hammered Germany - Weakness of the Weimar was beauty
Leni Refenstahl has always been easy
And pacfic i love you atomic bomb! LOL

I think i did hecticly hectic :D LOL :monkey::monkey::jump:

tjo176

HSC
so does that mean if everyone one well that affects scaling or band 6 cut off?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Judging by the amount of people that felt overwhelmingly pleased with the paper, i'm going to assume late 80's early 90's.
No way it'd be that high. There'd be plenty of people who would've hated that paper too, don't forget and although last year was an easy paper which everyone thought was easy too, the cut off was probably the same as other years. There'd be people who wouldn't even attempt the exam... the girl next to me in the exam didn't seem to write much at all >.<"

But yeah, the max cut off would be 85.

so does that mean if everyone one well that affects scaling or band 6 cut off?
The cut off is determined beforehand so that won't change. For eg if everyone in the state got 95% raw then everyone in the state would get a band 6; there's no limit on how many can get band 6.

Scaling is based on the overall strength of the cohort for that subject, so it depends on how everyone doing modern goes in their other exams.

EDIT: The cutoff is not determined beforehand, as explained by cem on the next page :)

Last edited:

EgyptianKing

HSC
No way it'd be that high. There'd be plenty of people who would've hated that paper too, don't forget and although last year was an easy paper which everyone thought was easy too, the cut off was probably the same as other years. There'd be people who wouldn't even attempt the exam... the girl next to me in the exam didn't seem to write much at all >.<"

But yeah, the max cut off would be 85.
I agree, usually everyone who has a boredofstudies account are mad nerds, so don't judge the cut off mark based on what people say here. The girl next to me just watched me write, LOL Fail blog much.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I agree, usually everyone who has a boredofstudies account are mad nerds, so don't judge the cut off mark based on what people say here. The girl next to me just watched me write, LOL Fail blog much.
Gee, some people are so fail :/

vantastic

HSC
last year only 9% of the state did Arab-Israeli conflict, and 2% did Yasser Arafat. did anyone apart from our school do these two??? also anybody know how that affects your marks?

Shortii Tania

im not short, im fun size
HSC
I thought the exam was great considering i studied alot on the questions in
the paper! ussr was cool and same with cold war. The personality question was meh, i didnt do much for part a and friken forgot dates! but part b was easier.
Overall, i think it was a good exam =D

Now i have two more to go!
Legal and history ext :)

z-trip

HSC
sweet questions except i got pwned in the speer question. what did others doing speer think? a bomb question was mad

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Yeah, the weird thing is, she was also doing extension history with me :S? LOL But dropped like 2 months ago. LOL
Just wow.

last year only 9% of the state did Arab-Israeli conflict, and 2% did Yasser Arafat. did anyone apart from our school do these two??? also anybody know how that affects your marks?
I don't do it, but basically they'll use the core to align the marks for your options. So if everyone who did your options aced the core and are hence deemed "good" modern students, but the highest mark for the option was say 70% then they'd align everything up so that you won't be disadvantaged because the question for the core was too hard for even "good" students to get higher marks in.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The cut off is determined beforehand so that won't change. For eg if everyone in the state got 95% raw then everyone in the state would get a band 6; there's no limit on how many can get band 6.

Scaling is based on the overall strength of the cohort for that subject, so it depends on how everyone doing modern goes in their other exams.

The cut-offs are NOT determined beforehand.

The aligning panel will meet during or after the marking process and are markers as well.

There first meeting will involve a discussion about the difficulty students are experiencing with the section of the paper they are marking (and in Modern History at least one of the aligning committee will come from each section of the paper). They will then individually determine what they think the cut-offs should be for each question or part thereof e.g. one judge might think that the cut-off for Band 5/6 for Part II should be 21/25 while judge 2 might think 18/25 and the other four judges will also make their own individual recommendation. These recommendations are sent to the BOS and then in round two of judging they have access to some statistical information and re-do their recommendations. Round 3 sees them accesses samples that fit their cut-offs before their individual final recommendations are made.

For Modern History marking begins on Saturday so judging will begin sometime after that but probably no earlier than Saturday week so the judges have a week or more of marking behind them.

I have been on the Modern History judging panel in the past and we finish making our recommendations after marking has ended.

Scaling is done separately but also after the exam not beforehand.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
The cut-offs are NOT determined beforehand.

The aligning panel will meet during or after the marking process and are markers as well.

There first meeting will involve a discussion about the difficulty students are experiencing with the section of the paper they are marking (and in Modern History at least one of the aligning committee will come from each section of the paper). They will then individually determine what they think the cut-offs should be for each question or part thereof e.g. one judge might think that the cut-off for Band 5/6 for Part II should be 21/25 while judge 2 might think 18/25 and the other four judges will also make their own individual recommendation. These recommendations are sent to the BOS and then in round two of judging they have access to some statistical information and re-do their recommendations. Round 3 sees them accesses samples that fit their cut-offs before their individual final recommendations are made.

For Modern History marking begins on Saturday so judging will begin sometime after that but probably no earlier than Saturday week so the judges have a week or more of marking behind them.

I have been on the Modern History judging panel in the past and we finish making our recommendations after marking has ended.

Scaling is done separately but also after the exam not beforehand.
Really? I was told that a panel of judges decide the cut offs before hand :/

But i guess my intel is faulty, thank for clearing that up CEM :)

And if you're on the panel again, make the cut offs low please :rofl:

sungpwa

HSC
i reckon its pretty funny (maybe funny's the wrong word...i dunno lol) how i did conflict in the Pacific but i still would have found it very easy to answer the question on appeasement for conflict in Europe as i have studied Germany for my national study.

NOW I WISH I JUST DIDN'T HAVE TO STUDY CONFLICT IN PACIFIC AT ALL

Liyo

HSC
i reckon its pretty funny (maybe funny's the wrong word...i dunno lol) how i did conflict in the Pacific but i still would have found it very easy to answer the question on appeasement for conflict in Europe as i have studied Germany for my national study.

NOW I WISH I JUST DIDN'T HAVE TO STUDY CONFLICT IN PACIFIC AT ALL
LOL. Conflict in the pacific was good tho, it was similar to the CSSA trial question. :)
Did anyone else here do Japan for national study and Hirohito for personality?

untitled....

HSC
Can anyone outline what they wrote for the Pacific qu. on natioanlism and the Pacific. I'm worried I didn't have enough detail on anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)