General Thoughts - Geography (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What were your overall thoughts of the geography exam? Share your opinions here.

maxwoz

HSC
It was just how I expected it would be. MC was quite easy and short answer was alright, thankfully our teacher dedicated a whole lesson to the ternary graphs so I was ok with that but thought it might throw some people off. The essay questions were fairly standard I thought but I only managed 6 pages Q19, 5 pages Q20, and 5 pages Q21, but it was quality so hopefully it will be enough!

Amylou222

HSC
I thought it was really good, though some of the multiple choice were a bit iffy! The essays all really suited my classes options (Macquarie Marshes/Coastal Dunes for essay 1; small country town of Nundle for essay 2; eucalyptus oil production for essay 3), so that was good!
Overall a fair exam I think :-D

JEWEL-LAD

HSC
Personally i think it was pretty hard, i also thought the trial was a b!@ch, and only answered two of the three essays. This time i did alot better and got all essays in the time, but it was still quite hard.

Question 20 especially, i was not expecting a question like that, more a question relating to World or Mega cities or Urban dynamics in SYDNEY, not an urban town or suburb which we did not cover in class, specifically anyway.

I hope alot of poeple thought it was hard aswell haha to scale me up.

robreido

HSC
i thought it was an easy exam! im fucking happy with it!! the only q i cudnt answer was the one about vertical integration cos i didnt pay attention in class when we learnt that :p anyways hope u all went as well as i did :)

fugglybob89

HSC
hey people...exam was pretty good...MC was good but a few were tricky...short answers were very easy...essays were pretty good but it sucked how they asked pretty much the same thing as last year for PAEA

williams180

HSC
tourism got 11 pages of gold , ecosystem 11 again and dynamics just 6 wasnt expecting that type of question. Short answers were easy and mc was harder than trials

simon1989

HSC
i took the paper home and i still can't work out how to do that time of day question by looking at the photo and topo map. the only thing i could think of was shadows but that could be a cloud or something. any ideas anyone

simon1989

HSC
i agree that the urban dynamic question was too concentrated even though it is a dot point.

fugglybob89

HSC
simon1989 said:
i took the paper home and i still can't work out how to do that time of day question by looking at the photo and topo map. the only thing i could think of was shadows but that could be a cloud or something. any ideas anyone
u knew that it was the northern hemisphere so the sun rises in the west, u than look at source f and determine which way the photograhper was facing, n which way the shadows r facing. u could also see more light on the left hand side of the page. i got 9am (a)

Harry Bannister

HSC
simon1989 said:
Well, if the sun riss in the east, and you could compare the photo next to to map, and then figure out north, you could see that the sun in the photo was coming from the east and therefore it was morning i.e. 9am. that's what i think at least.

Oh my gosh knew absolutely nothing about the urban dynamics question. How cruel: Board of Studies can get stuffed.

abbott75

HSC
I thought it was fairly ok. Im not much of a writer though, 8 pages for 19, 5 for 20 and 4 for 21.

Maths this morning sorta killed me before geo even started!

Dave2007

HSC
Decent paper...apart from the ecosystems essay I reckon I went well.

SA/MC: Generally they were alot fairer than other papers, although afew were a bit iffy...like how are you meant to know what they want when they give you about 5 lines and 5 marks to describe the huge topic of world cities? And the shadows multiple choice was ridiculous...

Ecosystems: I completely misinterpreted the question. Where it said "environmental change" I had just read a newspaper article that used that phrase as a euphamism for climate change...and had read about the politicisation of some other HSC exam. So i jumped in, figuring it was a climate change essay...and I talked about climate change and coral reefs quite well, until 3 paragraphs in I was out of content and was reduced to giberring out bullshit. I wish I'd thought clearly and done a straight ecosystem stress/management pre-prepared :(

Urban dynamics essay: Very unusual topic for this part of the exam, but easy to talk about with our case study suburb...I can imagine quite afew people around the state got screwed with this though

Economic activity: This was the "slip in your pre-prepared" one. Nature, distribution and future directions was utterly predictable.

simon1989

HSC
well luckily i did get 9am (a) by looking at shadows but i think the question is a bit iffy as the shadows are not very evident, except for darker coloured water which may just be because it is the harbour.

psychosomatic

pwnzor
HSC
fugglybob89 said:
u knew that it was the northern hemisphere so the sun rises in the west, u than look at source f and determine which way the photograhper was facing, n which way the shadows r facing. u could also see more light on the left hand side of the page. i got 9am (a)

YAY! I are winnar! I thought that aswell, my friends on the other hand, well ok friend was seemingly confused... it looked very "afternoon-y" to her. LMAO.

psychosomatic

pwnzor
HSC
Amylou222 said:
I thought it was really good, though some of the multiple choice were a bit iffy! The essays all really suited my classes options (Macquarie Marshes/Coastal Dunes for essay 1; small country town of Nundle for essay 2; eucalyptus oil production for essay 3), so that was good!
Overall a fair exam I think :-D
I'm pretty sure the questions would of suited everyones options... I agree with the multiple choice bit =)

mikrod

HSC
:santa:omg that sun question.looked at it and thought yeh offcourse doesnt matter which part of the world your in the sun rises in the east and sets in the west....wat a bitch....MC pretty decent all around....short answers preety decent...all the essays were really decent... so a really decent test...preety sure there will be about 200 students in the state who will get 100%....overall expected alot harder test....will wait for results now and hope i dint speak to soon..:wave:

psychosomatic

pwnzor
HSC
Dave2007 said:
Decent paper...apart from the ecosystems essay I reckon I went well.

SA/MC: Generally they were alot fairer than other papers, although afew were a bit iffy...like how are you meant to know what they want when they give you about 5 lines and 5 marks to describe the huge topic of world cities? And the shadows multiple choice was ridiculous...

Ecosystems: I completely misinterpreted the question. Where it said "environmental change" I had just read a newspaper article that used that phrase as a euphamism for climate change...and had read about the politicisation of some other HSC exam. So i jumped in, figuring it was a climate change essay...and I talked about climate change and coral reefs quite well, until 3 paragraphs in I was out of content and was reduced to giberring out bullshit. I wish I'd thought clearly and done a straight ecosystem stress/management pre-prepared :(

Urban dynamics essay: Very unusual topic for this part of the exam, but easy to talk about with our case study suburb...I can imagine quite afew people around the state got screwed with this though

Economic activity: This was the "slip in your pre-prepared" one. Nature, distribution and future directions was utterly predictable.
I did the same thing with my ecosystems essay. I think it was right though... I mean, I don't think they were looking for a typical ecosystems essay where you just dump a whole lot of information on the examiner (even though that's what expected of us geography students). I integrated recent statistics on global warming and Global environmental dynamics, with specific reference to my case studies. I think if you're a good geography student and you actually know your stuff the gibberish would of been somewhat informative and logical *cheesy grins*

Amylou222

HSC
For the sun question i got 9am, by assuming that the sun always rises in the east and sets in the west, no matter what hemisphere you're in. Seeing that the shadows were on the west side of the buildings, the sun must've been in the east, therefore morning. Is that correct? I hope so!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)