General Thoughts: English Paper 1 (AOS) (1 Viewer)

3p1c f41lur3

HSC
well... the last question was a abit ambiguous, even the supervisors in my school had problems giving us the answers, even board of studies told us to give it our best... WTF...

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
overall it was surprisingly not difficult

shame i didnt read section 2 properly though. probably going to lose like 5 marks for not talking about celebration of relationships!

Mysterious X

HSC
5 / 5.5 / 8
Did the same amount for each section as this person roughly (maybe 6 for the second?). I was ranked in the bottom half in my school for English but I put a good deal of effort into this one; hoping I get a band 6 for all three sections, especially the creative writing section which I got a band 6 in for the trial even when I was struggling (y)

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
I found this on the BOS website:

"Responses that exceed stated parameters
In some examinations, particularly projects and performances, there are limits placed on students’ work. This limit may be a limit on the size, time or word length of the work. Where a student’s response exceeds the stated parameters, a mark penalty may be imposed.

In written examinations, some questions indicate a limit on the length of the response. Overly long responses generally are not penalised because the student is considered to have already imposed a limit on the time available to answer other questions
."

The markers are going to read every word of your essays, and mark it normally. It does say "generally", so maybe a penalty will be applied, but in my opinion, i think it's highly unlikely. Worst case scenario would be a penalty, but I am almost positive they have to read every last word. Like what if you did two responses but integrated them throughout. They can't skip a few sentences here, a few sentences here.
That is just my reasoning and opinion though :p

chaldoking

HSC
I thought the paper was fair and definately doable.

I did think people with prepared responses would of wasted time memorising essays and short stories.

I think section one was relatively easy, although some of the stimulus pieces (like the last one) were annoying.

Section I - 12 pages.
Section II - 5 pages.
Section III - 15 pages.

I am quite happy. :)

catylist

HSC
i thought the exam was sooooo mega shit!
half my grade wrote 2 related texts
i nearly did that hence finding out halfway through, crossing things out and unable to change my related text to the better 1

took 1hr on the comprehension although it looked easy, found it hard to incoroporate strong techniques. 3rd text was WEIRD! 4th text was HARD

rambled on about nothing

not enough time for the creative repsonse

essay was a piece of crap everything all jumbled up and no structure due to the missing related text

6pges, 3.5pgs, 6pgs

sigh my guess mark is

8.5 / 10/ 7.5

waycoolsteve

HSC
does any one else think that because this one was so easy (ish) that the next one will be really hard?

Kaplutz

HSC
S1 - 2.5 pg - 6-10/15
S2 - 3 pg - 7-12/15
S3 - 3 pg. - 8-12/15

Yeah...I guess I did crap/average. A lot of blank-outs, crossing out and re-reading of texts in S1. A mark over 60, hell even 50, is fine for me.

Gosh, S1 was a bitch. Spent an extra 10 mins. on it FFS. That 4th text was ridiculous. Plus, I might've misinterpreted the 2nd text.

I also realized post-exam in S2, even though you didn't have to specify which quote you based your creative writing on (right?), I wrote that mine was based on the 2nd one, while it was actually more fitting to the 1st one.

S3 was OK, but I fear that I might've added quotes that aren't relevant enough, or said stuff not adhering to my thesis or the question. The question wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

For the most part, at least I got to finish what I intended to write in the test for S2 & S3.

To hell with English!:chainsaw:

braz_55

HSC
Loved it :D I can't believe I did but I did. It was really fair.

Love school

HSC
same good test was fair :)

but like now im thinking if they will cut the module B speeches to only two speeches ><

is that possible?

diamond4723589

HSC
i think i did pretty good, better than half of my friends feel that they did.
i wrote 2.5/6/7 pages and thats heaps good for me. :)
i laughed at the "imaginative" writing piece though, it was funny cause it was soo lame!

TechnIx

HSC
N/A
I did OK. Not as good as I hoped, and yet not as bad as I imagined I could go.

Pages:
4/2/7

Hopeful marks:
12/6/14

Anything above 30/45 I will be happy with. Aiming for above 70%.

Just curious, how good is 70%? Is that usually average? or really crap?

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
does any one else think that because this one was so easy (ish) that the next one will be really hard?
I'll be extremely happy if they're all essays, but I doubt thats gonna happen...
I have this weird feeling theres going to be one of those radio transcripts or letters in paper 2 :uhoh:

Stompy11

HSC
Didn't go that bad.

Just relieved to get my first paper done and over with. Well... Still have the other half of the English exam to go ):

I started on section 3, then went onto 1 and finished off with 2. Had a few minutes spare, and like usual I didn't check over my essay or creative :/

But I'm not sure if I wrote enough though: 4/8/6 pages (in smaller writing - small compared to the size I've seen in the standards package) for the the sections, respectively. Hmm... I don't get why people would write 19348729 pages for section one, I mean you only need so much :/

TROLL :9
ekcsueke me m8 juz cus i live under bridge n ur jelous dustn mena u corl me trol orite?

AzzA0608

HSC
I feel very confident about this english test,, all the questions were heaps easy,, didn't stumble up one bit..

I wrote 8/10/13 pages for section 1/2/3 respectively.

in all honesty probz should walk away with at least 43/45...

funkyknight

HSC
I found this on the BOS website:

"Responses that exceed stated parameters
In some examinations, particularly projects and performances, there are limits placed on students’ work. This limit may be a limit on the size, time or word length of the work. Where a student’s response exceeds the stated parameters, a mark penalty may be imposed.

In written examinations, some questions indicate a limit on the length of the response. Overly long responses generally are not penalised because the student is considered to have already imposed a limit on the time available to answer other questions."

The markers are going to read every word of your essays, and mark it normally. It does say "generally", so maybe a penalty will be applied, but in my opinion, i think it's highly unlikely. Worst case scenario would be a penalty, but I am almost positive they have to read every last word. Like what if you did two responses but integrated them throughout. They can't skip a few sentences here, a few sentences here.
That is just my reasoning and opinion though :p

omg... are u srs??? thats great news!!! i did 2 related aswell... i srsly hope they actually follow it though

Ben Taylor

HSC
im pretty happy with it :)
considering it was the first year they tested us on belonging, i thought the questions were generally pretty simplistic, but still difficult enough to test our knowledge. The essay question however limited us, due to its focus on understanding as an aspect of belonging, thats what I think anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)