General Education (Gen Ed) FAQ (1 Viewer)

LordPc

HSC
Cheers,

oh btw,

so general education courses are on this list correct?

UNSW Handbook -

does that mean I can only take courses from that list only?

say I want to take BENV1042 (which is not listed there), I can't take them right? even if I do, they would not be considered gen ed would they?

thanks so much again!
if you go to any page on the handbook, eg the page for ARTS2041 or for MATH1241, there will be this line in the summary at the top

Available for General Education: Yes/No

dawdlex3

HSC
UNSW Handbook Course - World Wide Web in Presentation and Communication - BENV1042

This one doesn't seem to say anything...

so if it doesn't say anything, i'm assuming it's a no?
It's a good question actually. I would advise you go to the Robert Webster office desk and ask who you should ask to. Last time I wanted to take a linguistics elective as a free elective I went there to ask. =) They'll let you know what electives and other courses you can take.

LordPc

HSC
actually, come to think of it, i have never seen a subject that has "available for ged ed: no", it has always been a yes. so yea, id say you can do that as a gen ed.

but do what the person above me said, always best to ask the uni themselves to be sure

ct92

HSC
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I have a question about the following quote from the first post.

[*]You cannot do more than 6uoc from any other single faculty
I can't find this rule anywhere on the handbook page, but I did find this.

Effective from Semester 2, 2008: to meet their 12 units of credit General Education requirement, students may take up to 12 units of General Education, or courses substituted for General Education, from any faculty or faculties, other than the faculty that is the authority for the program in which the student is enrolled.
Does this overrule the previous restriction that only 6 units can be taken from a single faculty? Does anyone have more recent experience with this?

x1kira1x

HSC
hi, Im hearing astronomy is a easy gen ed to do, just wondering if the course code is phys1160? thanks

MrTanman

Fascist
HSC
Uni Grad
For my course, I have spaces for 2 gen eds and 5 free electives. Can I do 3 gen ed courses from the same faculty?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
From memory the only rule is they have to come from a faculty other than your own.
Also, if you do a double degree program, which consists of two degrees from two different faculties, then you don't need to do gen eds as you have already satisfied the requirement of being "diverse" as to why there are gen eds in the first place.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Also, if you do a double degree program, which consists of two degrees from two different faculties, then you don't need to do gen eds as you have already satisfied the requirement of being "diverse" as to why there are gen eds in the first place.
as I have found out the hard way :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)