Gaps between ranks important? (1 Viewer)

leesh95

HSC
Are relative gaps between ranks in determining your ATAR or is it just the rank that matters?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The gaps are important because they influence the moderated assessment mark.

leesh95

HSC
So if someone is third by 1.5 in a subject and another person is third by 20 marks in another subject their ATAR will be different

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Yep, given everything else is the same.

D94

HSC
N/A
So if someone is third by 1.5 in a subject and another person is third by 20 marks in another subject their ATAR will be different
You can't just compare two different subjects like that. If it was the same subject but two different scenarios (i.e. in some parallel universe), then the person coming third by 1.5 marks will be in a better position than if they were coming third by 20 marks.

Also, there are a lot of calculations going from your raw school mark to ATAR. If everything else was the same (and I mean absolutely everything), then a gap of 1.5 is better than a gap of 20.

braintic

HSC
N/A
You mean NO, right?

What if the two subjects being compared were General Maths and Ext 2 Maths?

sarahabc123

HSC
N/A
So what if the the overall gap difference is like 40 but the top students are collectively close ? ( e.g top students have gap of 1-2 but the overall range is 40etc ) ??

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
I assumed OP meant same subject, otherwise there is no sense in his question

yasminee96

HSC
Pretty sure they're both important. If you have someone coming third with 90 for example and someone coming 4th with an 80, the person coming 3rd would probably get a much better moderated assessment mark than the person coming 4th, as opposed to if there wasn't much difference between the two, in which moderated assessment marks would probably be much more similar...i think :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)