Gap year talk. (1 Viewer)

HSC
Re: Gap year [Rollcall]

spain!! umm and england/ireland/scotland (to meet people mainly)... france, italy, greece, finland, switzerland, austria, germany.... i think... but i really really want to go to spain :)

danz90

HSC

I'm still undecided about a gap year, i'm thinking it might not be such a good idea, as it may steer me off wanting to go to uni. What do you guys reckon?

HSC

ness.xox said:
Umm I'd love to go to Thailand, China, Korea (South of course wouldn't want to get shot if North lol) oh! definitely Japan (even though things are a tad pricey over there) and because I do history I would love to go to the places I've learnt about like Italy (Pompeii), Germany, Russia etc.. I pretty much want to go everywhere! lol
i have a friend in korea! i went there for a stopover once, we went around the markets at night... the lights are pretty trippy, but i saw heaps of garbage on the roads (and bums. they're everywhere). at krispy kreme, they had a glass window so you could see how things were being made... then these people came out and gave me and my friend a free donut, hehe. i got heaps of free stuff overseas...

as for Japan, i'm looking at one of the travel threads here and it sounds really awesome.

i definitely reccomend italy... i went on a cultural exchange there. the people are really nice, and generous... i was just standing in maccas waiting for a friend and this guy came over and gave me a soft serve... lol. i know everyone seems to be interested in venice, but i thought it was a bit overrated, it's expensive, polluted, crowded with tourists etc florence is way better, there are markets, and it's easy to find your way around.

in i wish i got to go to pompeii, since i'm studying it now...

spain!! umm and england/ireland/scotland (to meet people mainly)... france, italy, greece, finland, switzerland, austria, germany.... i think... but i really really want to go to spain
ooh, me too, i'd watch running of the bulls... but not participate. i want to go to the tomato throwing festival there, lol.

I'm still undecided about a gap year, i'm thinking it might not be such a good idea, as it may steer me off wanting to go to uni. What do you guys reckon?
everyone tells me that 'if you don't do itwhen you're young, you won't'. so i reckon go for it. that way you won't be burnt out when you get to uni, you've had a break.

Last edited:

BackCountrySnow

HSC

If I were to travel it would have to be to english speaking countries.
How are you guys going to break down the language barrier??
learn them all, because there's a lot if you're going to be travelling around europe.

BackCountrySnow

HSC

russianROULETTE said:
i definitely reccomend italy... i went on a cultural exchange there. the people are really nice, and generous... i was just standing in maccas waiting for a friend and this guy came over and gave me a soft serve... lol.
lol, he wanted sex.

ooh, me too, i'd watch running of the bulls... but not participate. i want to go to the tomato throwing festival there, lol.
I'd like to take part in that. The running of the bulls that is.
Tomato throwing fest?!?! THERE ARE CHILDREN STARVING IN AFRICA!!!

everyone tells me that 'if you don't do itwhen you're young, you won't'. so i reckon go for it. that way you won't be burnt out when you get to uni, you've had a break.
I might wait til I finish uni. You're still young then.
I think straight after the HSC I'll go on a road trip with a few friends. Hopefully we'll all be over the getting smashed all the time stage.

HSC

i want to see the running of the bulls, wouldn't actually take part in it though...

yeah alot of languages... am kind of thinking just try learn a bit of basics?? and well in alot of countries more people are learning/knowing english... i did try to learn spanish as its really fun, but well its hard enough learning all the stuff for the hsc! :p

moz324

HSC

yeah, im thinking bout it. i might do a year of uni then take a gap year, so then i can go and my cousins overseas will b able 2 go 2 pubs with me, coz they're all a year or 2 younger than me! but i wont b able to not do 1 at some point coz ill burn out. lol.

HSC

BackCountrySnow said:
If I were to travel it would have to be to english speaking countries.
How are you guys going to break down the language barrier??
learn them all, because there's a lot if you're going to be travelling around europe.
phrasebook + dictionary. i was in italy a month and it was all i needed to get by.

lol, he wanted sex.
so i guess the lady that gave me a necklace in italy and the girl who gave me a krispy kreme in korea wanted sex too? damn, should have known... lol.

I'd like to take part in that. The running of the bulls that is.
haha i would, but my self of self-preservation is too high for that.

I might wait til I finish uni. You're still young then.
you'll also have a massive HECS debt. it happens all the time, people are like, 'oh, i want to save up for a house/car, i'll go overseas later', then you're like 'oh, i cant afford to take time off work', etc then you keep putting it off for ages. not saying that it'll happen to you, just that it happens to a lot of people, which is my reasoning for going now.

~aussiegirl!~

08 sac baby!
HSC

Well im sort of going to have a gap year!

I'm thinking of applying for a traineeship with the local city council in Human Resources!
So it wont be a gap year from studying cause u do one day a week of TAFE in the area that u apply for the traineeship in so yeah!

Apparently it is really hard to get traineeships but im gonna do it and looking at my report it shouldn't be a problem with getting one!

looking forward to just getting out of the hard on crunch time studying though so im interested in doin that and building up qualifications and background in the area to further myself into the business course at uni

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC

it's an option.

i have fuck all clue what i'm doing next year, so....

Kujah

HSC
N/A

A trip around Europe would be nice. Not sure about the gap year though; I've thought about it before but its a distant option at the moment.

aussie-boy

HSC

ive been thinking about spending next year overseas as well...
but im way too scared to go solo
isnt the idea of being 18 and travelling alone to non-english speaking countries daunting?

ticky2002

HSC
N/A

I'm going to England to get a job, make some money, and then travel.

Be better off earning money over there, and bringing it back to Aus with an exchange rate in my favour. :)

HSC

^^ yeah thats a good idea.

i'm pretty much doing a bit the same thing, am going over as soon as i'm able to have a visa, then if i need to earn more money i can just do it there :)

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC

six months will do me - ie, a semester
anymore than that and ill be tearing my hair our and harrassing my school for volunteer work.

-.-

Last edited:

sasa-o8

HSC

I'd really love to but I'm a total scaredy cat so highly doubt I'd go to Europe (would LOVE to visit Switzerland)

ticky2002

HSC
N/A

aussiechick007 said:
^^ yeah thats a good idea.

i'm pretty much doing a bit the same thing, am going over as soon as i'm able to have a visa, then if i need to earn more money i can just do it there :)
Are you planning on going to England as well?

I don't need to worry about waiting for a visa, as I'm half English I don't have to or something. Not quite sure how it works, but it does.

smozdaddy

HSC

All this talk of GAP years is so exciting.

I plan to go to South America next year for a while. Hopefully i can become good enough at spanish by that point to survive there.

Also, has anyone thought of going on a gap year with an organization like GAP Activity Projects? Or are you organizing your own trip?

*@fu55ybu66l33!

HSC

Gap yr rockz!! ;) :lol:

i'm thinking (actually so wanted to) travel around europe!!! coz it's gonna be awesome!! nd da 1st place to visit/stay will defin. be France, then Italy then Swwitzerlan then so on !! lol... it would be mad

HSC

ticky2002 said:
Are you planning on going to England as well?

I don't need to worry about waiting for a visa, as I'm half English I don't have to or something. Not quite sure how it works, but it does.
yes, i'm going to england, i plan to get a uk working visa (as it'd be more use than a working visa in a non english speaking country lol)

lucky you being half english lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)