G forces whilst in freefall (1 Viewer)

bazookie

HSC
Hey guys quick Q.

If a skydiver is in freefall, is he experiencing 1 G or 0 G?

I would think it is 1G because the skydiver is experiencing only the usual 9.8ms of acceleration right? However, my friend disagrees and says it is 0G because there are no forces acting in the opposite direction.

HSC
N/A
An object in free fall -- accelerating downwards at 1 g relative to the Earth -- experiences a g-force of −1 g + 1 g = 0 g (relative weightless).
Use the formula.

Your friend's right.

Edit: a is not 0; in free-fall, it is -g, Aereth. :p
That's terminal velocity, man.

Edit: Pwnage101, so long as there's a graviton in any proximity (unless at an infinite distance away), weightlessness doesn't exist. Only apparent weightlessness exists.

Edit:
Forbidden. said:
Neglecting air resistance and other resistive forces analysed in mechanics and all that, he only experiences 1g in free fall.
Why 1? Isn't that the answer when the object's at terminal velocity, a=0? :confused:

Edit:
H4rdc0r3 said:
(g+a)/g where g = 9.8, if ur free falling, it means that ur falling at a rate of 9.8 ms^-2 so -9.8 + 9.8 / 9.8 = 0
WIN!
Yes? :p

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Lucid Scintilla said:
An object in free fall -- accelerating downwards at 1 g relative to the Earth -- experiences a g-force of −1 g + 1 g = 0 g (relative weightless).
Use the formula.

Your friend's right.
Is the -1g + 1g = 0g the relative velocity formula we learnt in prelim or something? Cause I'm sorta confused.....

I thought it would be (g+a)/g , and since a = 0, therefore g/g = 1g-force unit. Sorry for dumb questions.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
he is experiencing 0g, and therefore wieghthlessness - just like an astronaut in outer space, i know its hard to get ur head around but BOTH are falling to earth at the same rate (ie with acceleration 9.8)

currently u and i are experiencing 1 g

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: G forces whilst in freefall

bazookie said:
Hey guys quick Q.

If a skydiver is in freefall, is he experiencing 1 G or 0 G?

I would think it is 1G because the skydiver is experiencing only the usual 9.8ms of acceleration right? However, my friend disagrees and says it is 0G because there are no forces acting in the opposite direction.
Neglecting air resistance and other resistive forces analysed in mechanics and all that, he only experiences 1g in free fall.

independantz

HSC
Re: 回复: G forces whilst in freefall

Forbidden. said:
lol how can it be 1?, that implies that we're currently experience freefall ???

H4rdc0r3

HSC
Re: 回复: G forces whilst in freefall

(g+a)/g where g = 9.8, if ur free falling, it means that ur falling at a rate of 9.8 ms^-2 so -9.8 + 9.8 / 9.8 = 0

HSC
N/A
Charity F said:
0g, because in freefall there's no other accelaration aside from gravity itself.

soo a = -g

(g + -g ) / g = 0

...right? agree with Lucid, Hardcore, etc
Yes, I agree with you, you agree with me, and, thus, I agree with myself. :D I'm not mad or manic! :p
I'd go on with some epic Shakespearean harangue (which is more gay and faggotry than epic, to be frank) or something, but this thread really has gone on long enough.

To conclude this fucked-up slag-bitch of a thread, if a is 0, terminal velocity; g-force, per the formula, is 1. Couple.
If a is -g, as in free-fall, the g-force is 0.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)