Friends and Social Health. (1 Viewer)

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
I was wondering how easy it is to make friends in university.... Are most people open to new friendships? Also generally do First Years mingle with First Years and so on..... Are many people lonely when they first start uni? Also... do many university friendships last the test of time?
Thx in advance.

Crashy19

HSC
i don't really talk much to people i dont know
i started on monday and know a few people
mostly talked and hung around with the people from my room though
but i guess that will change when classes and that start
i just have to talk to people when i am near them

so i have pretty much told myself to make the effort
so if you are like me just attempt to give it a go
everyone is in the same boat as you
including those that have been at uni before in a way...

but yea, the people i have met and been around seem to be all for meeting new people

just have to wait and see how the future goes with long lasting friendships

amaccas

HSC
N/A
Take it from a guy who dropped out of uni in 2002, 1st year uni can be VERY lonely.

Please make an effort to talk to the people around you in lectures and tutes, even if it's only to introduce yourself. That way if you see them again you will have someone to talk to. Also, any group work stuff is a good way to get to know people.

It takes a long time for friendship to grow though. The more you see the same people and stuff, the more fun it becomes to go to uni.

DTFM

HSC
If you can't cope without friends then you are pretty worthless and will have a horrible time at uni.

icelillies

In the twisted branches of the faraway tree
HSC
If you can't cope without friends then you are pretty worthless and will have a horrible time at uni.
Thats a tad harsh - not everyone has had enough life experience to comfortably rely on themselves without some form of friendship surrounding them. If he doesn't make friends then it will be an experience - it MAY even make him bitter like YOU - a credible assumption considering the hostility of your post and it's severe point of self reliability versus human connection.

To the OP - Smile, make people laugh - and your in the game ;)(from there on in, it's up to you).

Good luck :)

lucidassembly

HSC
On orientation day, I sat between two strangers who simply introduced themselves. We spent most of the day together, so just saying "hi" seemed to work out nicely :) I wouldn't worry... everyone is in the same boat.

amaccas

HSC
N/A
Thats a tad harsh - not everyone has had enough life experience to comfortably rely on themselves without some form of friendship surrounding them. If he doesn't make friends then it will be an experience - it MAY even make him bitter like YOU - a credible assumption considering the hostility of your post and it's severe point of self reliability versus human connection.

To the OP - Smile, make people laugh - and your in the game ;)(from there on in, it's up to you).

Good luck :)

I lolled. nice response.

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
^what wrx said. it takes a solid 8 weeks to make a good nit of friends

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
meh all this long-time bullshit

Walk in and 'laude' the room, you'll have 'friends' within 3 days-

As in:

"Hey, watsup? I'm ..."

Do this to the main groups that form, show yourself to be a social (friendly and chilled) person and create quick conversational threads based of what the people say. Focus initially on your similarities with people as oppossed to differences and you should start rapport building instantly.

Then again, I'm a conversationalist and realise that this is NOT easy for the majority of people. But certainly ANYONE (no matter how u look, where ur from etc) can have a lot of friends, it just takes a little bit of initial effort.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
Just say hello to people. University is a clean slate, so use the opportunity to make friends. Everyone else will be open to it, because they're trying to do the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)