Free Seminar for Interviews? (1 Viewer)

Medman

HSC
Yup restriction is off. Open to anyone interested year 11 or year 12 or whatever. Also JCU applicants should check this out too as if you do get an interview it will help you.

Have a feeling med confident people have disabled their FB and are studying like no tomorrow.

BlugyBlug

HSC
Just confirming, is the time 12pm-2:30pm?

The time on the facebook event is a little..misleading haha.

Medman

HSC
Sorry didn't realise the event time was weird. It's 1pm-2:30pm Sorry for any confusion.

Medman

HSC
Thanks for those that came! Hope you guys have learnt something useful! All the best for interviews!

mreditor16

HSC
You should join next time. If you're serious about medicine the information will be useful to prepare you in advance.
oh I wasn't interested (not interested in medicine at all) - I was simply replying to this:

I am interested and but I will see once umat results are out!
who posted yesterday afternoon AFTER the seminar had concluded.

Medman

HSC
oh I wasn't interested (not interested in medicine at all) - I was simply replying to this:

who posted yesterday afternoon AFTER the seminar had concluded.
Oh ic no worries :) thought you were that's all. Someone came to support their friend even though they weren't interested. She took some information for further job interviews in the future. There's a degree of overlap.

mreditor16

HSC
Oh ic no worries :) thought you were that's all. Someone came to support their friend even though they weren't interested. She took some information for further job interviews in the future. There's a degree of overlap.
hmm that's true :D but yeah to take out a half a day for this, when one isn't interested in med, isn't the best thing to do in my eyes :) better off studying or saving that energy.

BlugyBlug

HSC
^ The person in question isn't doing the hsc this year. In fact only 1 person in the whole seminar was actually a 2014 hsc student.

Medman

HSC
^ The person in question isn't doing the hsc this year. In fact only 1 person in the whole seminar was actually a 2014 hsc student.
Correct! Like I said earlier most HSC students are in hermit mode. It's a shame students place so much emphasis on HSC and completely neglect the interview and then realises later I should have practiced. Don't make the same mistakes I did, that is not your JOB!

Also I found a student saying they are aiming for QLD because there isn't an interview a bit surprising. Almost every single specialty in medicine requires patient interaction. At least 7-9 years of your training you will need to deal with patients. Also specialties jobs are limited so you will have multiple interviews in the future. If you do not like interviews I am a bit confused as to why one would even become a doctor. Unless you have a super interested in radiology or pathology. I think in general that's just the wrong attitude to have and I would think someone like that is doing medicine not for selfless reasons.

Last edited:

mreditor16

HSC
Correct! Like I said earlier most HSC students are in hermit mode. It's a shame students place so much emphasis on HSC and completely neglect the interview and then realises later I should have practiced. Don't make the same mistakes I did, that is not your JOB!

Also I found a student saying they are aiming for QLD because there isn't an interview a bit surprising. Almost every single specialty in medicine requires patient interaction. At least 7-9 years of your training you will need to deal with patients. Also specialties jobs are limited so you will have multiple interviews in the future. If you do not like interviews I am a bit confused as to why one would even become a doctor. Unless you have a super interested in radiology or pathology. I think in general that's just the wrong attitude to have and I would think someone like that is doing medicine not for selfless reasons.
wise words as always, medman :D

iStudent

HSC

Well said :)
Although... I think that person feels that way because he's just bad at interviews (comparatively to others)... not because he has a problem with the interview itself...
Like how some people go for JCU/Griffith because they're bad at umat... :/

mreditor16

HSC
Although... I think that person feels that way because he's just bad at interviews (comparatively to others)... not because he has a problem with the interview itself...
hmm that is a valid point....

Medman

HSC
Well having that mindset won't help you in life. The problem is that they haven't even tried and they already have that boxed in attitude. They don't see it as a challenge. When I am approached with a problem I take it as a challenge to push myself beyond my comfort zone to further improve myself. Valid point but just shows lack of character. Being nervous in an interview is ok because it's high stake but avoiding something like this is absolutely the wrong way to go about it.

iStudent

HSC
Well having that mindset won't help you in life. The problem is that they haven't even tried and they already have that boxed in attitude. They don't see it as a challenge. When I am approached with a problem I take it as a challenge to push myself beyond my comfort zone to further improve myself. Valid point but just shows lack of character. Being nervous in an interview is ok because it's high stake but avoiding something like this is absolutely the wrong way to go about it.
Well said once again :)
I'm actually that person, just so you know.
I'm not "aiming" for Queensland. I see UQ as the uni I go to if I don't get into a uni here in nsw. But knowing me, I feel as though the interviews is a bit out of my league. I do realise this is the wrong attitude to approach it though. Which is why I will prepare as much as I can for it. (and also why I applied "everywhere" rather than just queensland + nsw unis). :)
I'm quite looking forward to interviews actually (and getting destroyed haha)

mreditor16

HSC
I'm not "aiming" for Queensland. I see UQ as the uni I go to if I don't get into a uni here in nsw. But knowing me, I feel as though the interviews is a bit out of my league. I do realise this is the wrong attitude to approach it though. Which is why I will prepare as much as I can for it. (and also why I applied "everywhere" rather than just queensland + nsw unis). :)

Medman

HSC
Haha not awkward at all. I just speak the truth and don't take it as offensive take it as criticism as I want to help you guys out as much as I can! See how what you said can be taken in another context. So be very mindful of what you say to the interviewer. If you end up in UQ so be it but take the whole thing as a learning experience even if you don't make it, learn from it. I really do hope you will make it however so I'm definitely supporting you all the way. You can't say anything is out of your league until you have tried because you never know. No one can predict the future so don't have the "what if" mindset. Try to have the "I'll give a shot" mindset. Remember you will need to be talking with many patients throughout your life so start working on your communication skills early. Practice now will mean it will be more natural later on. Trust me I was in a similar position to your in year 12 so don't despair look how far I have come (I definitely still have room to improve).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)