• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Fitting In (1 Viewer)

whatusername?

HSC
Tiffanys said:
Maybe you care a little too much for fitting in? After all what someone thinks is 'fitting in' is mostly subjective.
by fitting in, i mean just generally having friends in that place, so yes i do care about it. alot. can u imagine living in a place where no one really likes you? trust me its not fun. and theres no point really carrying on if the world outside highschool is similar (btw thank you to everybody who have pretty much shown me that it isnt)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Just watch 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off'- every1 loves Ferris

act like him, u will be popular

notice he takes the non-care approach to life and defines his own 'style'

whatusername?

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Most people that don't fit in tend to be deficient in these areas
thank you. i really appreciate that stereotype of ppl who dont fit in. (ur absolutely right btw) :(

Last edited:

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Oh dont worry about it :)

Im sure uni will be much better for you, but i suggest that you do the 1st move. You can do that easily, just go up to one of your classmates and just be like "Hey, how did you find todays lab/tute?" or "Did you finish that assignment?" and just continue the discussion from there, and before you know it, you'll be talking to them about heaps of random stuff.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
Rebekkie said:
just go up to random people and say hi.
i would be scared if someone did that to me.
it would be like
"hi"
"hi"
"...."

Pace_T

HSC
fernando said:
i would be scared if someone did that to me.
it would be like
"hi"
"hi"
"...."
dont worry. shes just a stupid 08er who has absolutely no idea on the topic, she hasnt even started uni yet...

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
JFK said:
Yeah so your response to the bully is to become the bully.

Act like the people who tormented you, who you hated.

Doesn't make much sense to me...
Because you don't know the situation nor do you really know me?

Either way, to the threadstarter, high school may suck but it's a matter of putting up with it for six more months and then starting over. You don't necessarily need to be a huge social butterfly when you get to uni but like others have said, you will find people with common interests in your course and a lot of people who are looking to make friends.

I don't really know many people who went to uni and stayed firm friends with their high school friends, even if they all went to the same uni. More often than not people move on after high school. So at the moment, it's just a matter of dealing with the now and knowing that eventually you'll get out of the crap cliques.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
JFK said:
I don't need to know.

You said: "They were a bitch to me that's why I'm a bitch."

Nothing i've suggested requires knowledge beyond that statement.

boom
That's true I guess. It was more that I got picked on, developed a defense mechanism and got turned into a bitch.

However, I don't torment people. I've never gone up to someone (with a group of friends) and abused them in front of a large crowd of people for ten straight minutes. You can't exactly survive public humiliation without having or creating a defense mechanism.

I like to think that I'm less of a bitch these days anyways :) It's just a necessary evil in some cases.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
That's true I guess. It was more that I got picked on, developed a defense mechanism and got turned into a bitch.

However, I don't torment people. I've never gone up to someone (with a group of friends) and abused them in front of a large crowd of people for ten straight minutes. You can't exactly survive public humiliation without having or creating a defense mechanism.

I like to think that I'm less of a bitch these days anyways :) It's just a necessary evil in some cases.
I think this point was raised earlier, where some one said that its strange you were picked on if your fairly attractive. Im in agreement- its rare that a hot girl will cop a hard time. People may be a bitch to you, but that is usually for different reasons such as jealousy etc

Overall point, the world is just nicer when your good looking

To the thread starter- how would you describe your 'look'?? If its dorky, maybe look at getting new clothes/haircut/general style. Im not saying change completely and rock up to school in a leather jacket with a cigarette, ppl will just call u a try hard fag, but if u subtly change ur look it can work wonders.

Possibly get into surfing (if u live near a beach) and gym. There both great physcial activities which get ur mind away from everything and allow you to develop as a bit of an individual. Believe me, not only is surfing extremely fun/relaxing, it will give u a healthy tan and love for the outdoors. Also, working out is great especially when u tell no one and let ppl observe the changes for themselves

Dont focus on getting friends, focus on an activity or something you love and get awsome at it. Friends will come once youve shown that you can stand on ur own two feet

whatusername?

HSC
Cookie182 said:
I think this point was raised earlier, where some one said that its strange you were picked on if your fairly attractive. Im in agreement- its rare that a hot girl will cop a hard time. People may be a bitch to you, but that is usually for different reasons such as jealousy etc

Overall point, the world is just nicer when your good looking

To the thread starter- how would you describe your 'look'?? If its dorky, maybe look at getting new clothes/haircut/general style. Im not saying change completely and rock up to school in a leather jacket with a cigarette, ppl will just call u a try hard fag, but if u subtly change ur look it can work wonders.

Possibly get into surfing (if u live near a beach) and gym. There both great physcial activities which get ur mind away from everything and allow you to develop as a bit of an individual. Believe me, not only is surfing extremely fun/relaxing, it will give u a healthy tan and love for the outdoors. Also, working out is great especially when u tell no one and let ppl observe the changes for themselves

Dont focus on getting friends, focus on an activity or something you love and get awsome at it. Friends will come once youve shown that you can stand on ur own two feet
i dont think i look dorky- if u were to come to my school and see me with the group i hang with- the "popular kids"- u would think i fitted right in. Stay a day or two more and u'll see the truth. but i agree- good looking people have it easier than ugly ones like me :(
in anycase, though, i dont think ur seeing my question- i know there is no hope for me to fit in at my school, i was myself and i didnt fit in. i tried to change and i didnt fit in. and i think a loser in one highschool will be a loser in all of them- like i said before, i just wanna know if the uni society is more accepting (and according to most of u, it is, so thank you)

Last edited:

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
whatusername? said:
i know there is no hope for me to fit in at my school, i was myself and i didnt fit in. i tried to change and i didnt fit in....i just wanna know if the uni society is more accepting

just make sure when you start uni you need to kill the fact that you THINK that you're a 'loser'.
The impressions you have of yourself will show through the way you carry yourself and you won't seem approachable at all... =D

Jinpoo

HSC
you should ask the coolest kid in your grade

"excuse me? how do you be cool?"

lala2

Banned
HSC
Uni is so much better...I've made friends that I would never have dreamed of back in Year 12. Just one good friend from school...people seem slightly aghast when I say I only keep in touch with ONE person from my school and not a whole group of us, one from tutoring, two people from pharmacy independent of each other, and I've settled down with three others in pharmacy whom I regularly sit with in lectures but I dunno if there'll be a connection there when we graduate--pharmacy is very cliquey and I do not deny that I slotted with them in part because of this atmosphere.

But see, despite a cliquey course like pharmacy I've still managed to make friends from outside and you'll meet lots of random people unless you seriously go to lectures and that's it. I cannot put a number on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if I've met literally a thousand people since starting uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)