• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

First year meant to be the hardest? (1 Viewer)

frootloop

HSC
lala2 said:
Now that I think about it...I dunno?! Maybe. Otherwise the quizzes were practically pointless, since they said the quizzes provide a model for the m/c part of the exam (I think, don't quote me on it). yeah, better get back to studying, haven't started anything else and am relying on what little I picked up during semester to sustain me for the other three exams. :(
Really? That would've been really helpful to know. I should've paid a bit more attention then. That was probably said earlier in the semester... or even in a more recent lecture and I wasn't listening. :rolleyes:

I thought about it some more and I am pretty certain that there is m/c... and I was just trying to find something else to freak out about. It's all good now. :wave: No more stress.

EDIT: screwed up the exam. :( it didn't go well at all... failing seems a definite possibility.

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
Hey all! :) Thanks for your support this semester...my results are progressively being released and I'll edit this post as they are being released. So far:

PHAR1615--74 (Credit--dammit!)
CHEM1611--68 (Credit)
BIOL1101--71 (Credit)
MATH1606--64 (Pass--dammit!)

Yay--through to next semester!

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
Is it true that each semester gets progressively harder? And also, are the marks and average you get in your first semester a good indication of what level you'll be achieving at for the rest of your degree? Because the subjects this semester are gay, but everyone is of the same opinion too, and once we get to more interesting stuff, 'everyone' might start doing better too, as will I, so it ends up being the same? (sorry for the bad wording)

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Your first year marks are probably a good indicator of your scores in later years if you don't change your study habits, whether it be to study more/smarter or participate in more/less trivial extra curricular activities. Having said that, I have seen some people obtain very low scores (<65 average with one or two fails) and then go on to average in the 90s in their 3rd and 4th years. Your marks just depend on your circumstances IMO.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Anonymou5 said:
Your first year marks are probably a good indicator of your scores in later years if you don't change your study habits, whether it be to study more/smarter or participate in more/less trivial extra curricular activities. Having said that, I have seen some people obtain very low scores (<65 average with one or two fails) and then go on to average in the 90s in their 3rd and 4th years. Your marks just depend on your circumstances IMO.
I sure hope so, HD average for the rest of my degree would be lovely.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Anonymou5 said:
Not really. First year subjects you can ace doing fuck all then when you get to second year you realise you're fucked.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
I agree with you there and this is especially the case in engineering, if you achieve top marks in first year. It does get more difficult to maintain high marks in later year subjects. However, if you're obtaining fairly average scores in first year then continuing to get average scores is not a hard thing to do.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
I retract my references to 'average scores' as it is slightly misleading. I think you'll find the answer to your question for yourself as you progress through uni. Some subjects tend to reward effort while others have more open ended/subjective assessments which you could score highly/lowly in regardless of whether you study heaps or put in little to no effort during the semester.

So it really depends on the nature of the subjects. I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. Just put in as much effort as you want to or feel that you need to. If you study consistently then you should at least get some fairly good marks.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Ok then, thank you! And thanks to all who have supported me this semester--I'll leave this thread around for reference.

Adam

HSC
In Engineering, 1st year is absolutely child's play. 2nd year get's harder, 3 year even more so, and 4th year eases off (apparently).

All I know is that 3rd year, first semester, Civil Engineering, USYD - hardest 3 months of my life. Stupidly hard.

Scanorama

HSC
In Computer Science, 1st year was very easy, I passed all my subjects with only a P, the rest are either C or D.

2nd year gets very hard and boring. But I am looking at changing degree at the end of the year, hopefully that will work.

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
lala2 said:
I heard that there's some absolutely shocking dropout rate for first years in Australia overall or something like that, and, the way I'm feeling at the moment, I could be part of that statistic too. Is it natural for first year to be the hardest? Harder than even the HSC?! WHat are your thoughts?

For me, I feel really unorganised, and since my lectures all start at different times, my sleeping patterns are not regular and therefore I wake up feeling absolutely crappy on the earlier mornings. Travel takes out a lot of studying time. I have hardly been able to meet up with the one friend I've kept in contact with from high school. And it doesn't help that, if I want more info, I have to go and look for it myself. >;< And another thing--is it possible to pass with just lecture notes and tutes without looking for more info? I really am only aiming to pass--nothing further.

It may not seem like a big deal to some of you who have to live on their own, and earn their own money, etc, (since I live with my parents) but I feel really unsettled and do need some assurance.
Hey you know its good that you think like that, because it means that you will probably not be apart of the drop out rate.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Aha, thanks for that Ralph! Yes, this semester is much better, and yes I am pretty sure that I won't be a drop out at this rate.

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
I experienced the same crap your going thru when i first began uni. It's most important to seek solutions to your problems ASAP. Talk to academic centre, lecturers, tutors etc. on how to deal with ur habits. University is designed to train you to be independent. YOU have to help yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)