• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

First year meant to be the hardest? (1 Viewer)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Thanks glitterfairy. It's just that I didn't think that the transition would be so hard! At least I'm glad I didn't pick to pay for law though my parents wanted me to--it'd have kicked me out by now.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Do you find a big difference in the method of teaching compared to school, lala2?

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yes--for bio and the statistics part of maths anyway. I love my other three subjects--maths (calculus bit), chemistry and pharmacy--they are taught how I would have learnt them to be, which is probably just a grand stroke of luck. Maybe it's just those two 'subjects' which are worrying me--maybe I should get a grip on my priorities. But for bio in particular--ecology (shivers).

I like to think for myself, but having forced myself to think in such a compartmentalised way just to succed in the HSC, it's really hard getting back out again. Hopefully it will get better.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
lala2 said:
It's just that I didn't think that the transition would be so hard!

I like to think for myself, but having forced myself to think in such a compartmentalised way just to succed in the HSC, it's really hard getting back out again. Hopefully it will get better.
Yes I wasn't impressed with how the high school system prepared most of my uni classmates for uni, sure they got high UAIs but it doesn't mean anything if they can't adapt to new environments. So many lose the plot simply because they have such weird concepts of what University is supposed to be. Also for a lot of people uni is the first time they live away from home or have to travel larger distances to attend something. Just like the big fish in little pond Year 6 students get used to being little fish in big pond Year 7 students.

The only structure you have at University is the one you make. Others may give you tips on how to succeed but in the end it's up to you to do it in a way that works for you.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
la-la: i HATED first semester in first eyar and I nearly pulled out as well and I was doing nowhere near your contact hours. For me it was the travel, not knowing anyone, and in my course not knowing what was expected of me. My advice is to hang in there and you will adjust.

olchik

HSC
The first semester is usually harder than another. It's the begining of new life - student life, so you need to get used to it!

lala2

Banned
HSC
Thanks to all! :) I feel much better. Master Yoda, I was thinking of deferring but I know that if I did, I would have to go through it all over again next year (or whenever I return), and I wouldn't know what to do this year (except perhaps earning a little more money, which I don't really need right now since I live with my parents). But yes, that's a good suggestion, I should think about it a little bit more.

Though glitterfairy, I do like the independence a little bit. I have never been much of a groupie person (though I'm not anti-social!) and I didn't (and still don't like) the cliquey atmosphere of high school, which stifled my independence and my ability to just be friends with everyone.

Leftrightout, thanks for reminding me of Year 6 to Yaer 7--I guess this is just the same scenario. Big fish in little pond becomes little fish in big pond. And Ranger Stacie, I will definitely consider your suggestion too. :)

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
lala2 said:
Though glitterfairy, I do like the independence a little bit. I have never been much of a groupie person (though I'm not anti-social!) and I didn't (and still don't like) the cliquey atmosphere of high school, which stifled my independence and my ability to just be friends with everyone.
I totally hear what you're saying there, and that's the reason I am enjoying uni so much more than high school on a social level.

Something I just thought of - if there is a mentoring thing at your university, you may want to sign up for one (as in sign up to get a mentor) because they're a good person to turn to for all the "small" but important questions in regards to uni life :)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Olsen said:
u should be right if u eview lectures, attend and particpate in tutes, do ur readings and generally keep on top of things.
I didn't do any of those last year...and I had 30+ contact hours for semester 2...:eek:

Personally, I'm not sure if deferring works that well. You might feel even less ready when you come back from a long break and it takes longer to adapt. Don't worry about it too much though, it's been less than three weeks, most of us took a few months to completely adapt to uni life. So just hand in there.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
glitterfairy said:
This is the time when everyone has to think seriously about how much they WANT to do their particular degree... technically if you want a particular hard-core degree badly enough (eg law, pharmacy) then you will be motivated enough to put in all the hours. Being smart is not always good enough... you have to really, really want it otherwise halfway through semester you will be dying and thinking "OMG get me out of here! It's not worth it!"
I gotta say that's true for me. I never wanted to be in a position where I agree with a comment like that but unfortunately I am. It's not too bad but I really thought I could claw my way through a degree that was never really "me". Still clawing haha :)...:(

HSC
N/A
Heh. ;) I was lucky enough to make that realisation in Yr 12 ;) I refused to work my butt off in order to get the highest UAI possible because I figured that since I wasn't going to change my studying habits for uni, I should just accept whatever UAI I get, and accept the degree (with related workload) that comes with it. :)

As it happens things have basically worked out fine. If anything, I "work" less now because I'm doing something I actually enjoy for the most part. Win win win situation!

Sarah: A girl I met in uni had been doing accounting for three years, thinking she could just claw through. By third year she was SO sick of it that she decided to graduate in Human Resource Management so she'd never have to touch accounting in her life ever again. She's now in my BBA class ;)

I guess that's the good part about uni. You will *know* when you're doing something you're not meant to be doing... and if you "claw" through it, likely you will fail or come so close to failing that you decide to pick up something else anyway/transfer to a degree that's better for you. :) So it's not all bad, if you look at if from the angle of "Hey! If I didn't do this degree, I wouldn't have realised how much I hate it!". And then, that can turn into "Hey! My first degree sucked so badly. I then transferred into _____ and I love it!"

kaylz

HSC
University is completely different to high school, for obvious reasons. If you're having trouble getting motivated then maybe start a study group - the rule of thumb to do well is meant to be to match each hour of class for one of revision. I can imagine that it'd be tiring having to travel to and from uni, but maybe you could try and make use of that time... Have you considered changing your enrolment in a subject to distance education mode? That might give you that extra bit of time you need at home... I wouldn't recommend deferring - at least not yet. There will obviously be teething problems - don't beat yourself up. Just get into a routine and make it through this first semester. :)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Thanks for all your responses everyone! I think I will try and stick through first semester first and see how I go. Besides, the upside is that I won't have to handle more than 6 weeks in one block, because Easter hols are coming up! :D So that makes the 13-week semester look a whole lot less huge.

HSC
i suddenly decided too change to commerce from computers/science purely because i thought id probably make more money and enjoy it all, and guess what .. i enjoy my commerce/economics degree. its relatively interesting (i probably would of creamed myself if i did adv science, now THAT is interesting) but yet i enjoy it, the upside i can go and combine it with computers or science and make a nice little package

thank christ i only have too do 2 accounting subjects, seriously that shit drives me MAD!

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
Serius said:
i think its mainly about the adjustment, i never really had a whole heap of self motivation in school and that is showing now, cause the way my timetable is i have massive gaps making for really long days, i usually end of just saying fuck it and going home.
That is exactly like me!

I have a few breaks of 2hrs, then one 4hr break, and I don't know about you, but I can only study for a certain amount of time before going bonkers. It also doesn't help that im poor and can't afford to go shopping or something in my breaks haha.

But to the OP, I think im in a similar situation. Im not finding the work incredibly hard, but im still having trouble adjusting to the increased workload across the board. And I suppose a 40x increase in travelling time doesn't help when compared to high school (I live just down the road from my old HS). But I hope to catch up in AVCC week :)

lala2

Banned
HSC
dimzi: I agree about the transport bit. I take 45 minutes each way and this is if the buses are good at Railway Square (City Road, that is, since PArramatta Road is never an issue). If bad, one hour. 10 hours of travelling a week + 26 contact hours = 36 hours, which is roughly equivalent to hours spent away from the house during school time (we have 7 hours a day, and with nice regular lunchtimes and morning tea times and nicely regular 1 hour free periods, unlike uni...grrr).

Last time, a 10 minute train ride + 10 minute walk from station did the trick for school.

But I can only say I'm glad enough I live just far enough to do some decent work on the train, but not far enough to make travelling a really, really big issue. Some people I know travel 2 hours each way and still live in Sydney! :eek:

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I still maintain that anyone that catches public transport has it easy.

I drive ~50 minutes each way (haha, 2 hours if there is a frigging accident :mad: ), and so that is nearly 2 hours a day of dead time that I really cannot do anything, and I still have to be astute and concentrating on what I'm doing. With public transport, you can do a bit of work, readings, whatever, or even lay back and chill out for the time you're on the bus/train.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Cool, yeah, I forgot about people driving to uni! It's just that I dunno anyone who drives to uni. But yeah, traffic jams are a major hold up! And parking too! Poor you! :(

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Actually, contrary to popular belief free all day parking can be found at all times of the day (just don't tell everyone!). Spend time cruising around the suburbs near Usyd to find secluded spots.
However, you'll have to take the 10~25 minute walk in addition to morning/evening traffic which in my case places puts driving about 5 minutes slower than public transport, so it's usually better to park away and catch a train into Central/Redfern. (For Pharmacy Building Central might be better.. if you get things anywhere near darlington you may as well walk from Redfern.)
---
If you think smooth sailing will become the norm after first year, I would heartily disagree. This is never the case (until you start honours and decide to waste your first semester not working on your thesis).

Perhaps people just make mistakes in their subject choices w.r.t. what they will actually enjoy. A lot of courses aren't what you think they should be, and some courses are actually fun when the name might put you of.

Your best bet as first years, will be to collaborate. There is no one you can't ask, and as long as you know the right answer you will be able to work your way towards it. Many seem to spend time knocking their heads on the assignments/concepts/etc. Individual thinking is good, but sometimes it's like birds and windows.
By this, I do not mean copy answers. But I do mean getting tips from people who understand. Whether this is the lecturer, someone from the year above or a cohort it's your choice. Study groups help, so don't run away everytime lecture finishes or only ever stick to your pals. Do open up to strangers, especially around assignment time.
I mean, university is supposed to be a learning place more than a differentiating place. Exams will tell who is on top anyway.

And one more thing, don't watch too much TV (muahahaha). And don't party too hard (more maniac-cackles). You only have (as far as I'm aware,) seven years worth of HECS/HELP to spend redoing your failed subjects and bad degrees choices.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)