First-time Job (1 Viewer)

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Hey guys,
I finished my HSC a few wks ago and I'm beginning to think I need a job as home has become a very boring place.. (lol). Just wondering, where do most ppls work as their first-time job ....ie someone who has had no experience what so ever? Thanks

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
An easy job at a big company like YUM! eg McDonalds KFC or whatever. Conditions and pay aren't as great as say a restaurant or woolworths but they (restaurant and woolies) don't tend to take ppl who have no experience. I work at KFC
Apply online for Hungary Jacks etc - as many places as you can.
Ask around at your local, little shops, like maybe a newsagent, burger joint, cafe, or some other shop. Ask relatives if you can get some work experience with them, or if they know anyone that will hire you.

My advice is to be nice to everyone, even if they are mean - don't let it get to you. Don't be late. Ask questions if you don't understand anything. Don't be shy. Get some work ppl's numbers to call when you are sick and need to swap shifts etc.
:cool: Good luck with ur first job

Last edited:
HSC
Rockyroad said:
Conditions and pay aren't as great as say a restaurant or woolworths but they (restaurant and woolies) don't tend to take ppl who have no experience.
Woolworths was my first job, as well as most people who I work with. Fast food places simply hire almost anyone because they find it difficult to get staff.

tania O

HSC
Ahahahaha yea home is boring my first job was RETAIL till now working in retail. =]

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
babikakez said:
Woolworths was my first job, as well as most people who I work with. Fast food places simply hire almost anyone because they find it difficult to get staff.
nah thats true...no offence but you dont need experience for woolworths lol

Dr. Oyster

HSC
Go to a Asian take-away.

They're not as busy as Maccas, KFC, etc.

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Hey, so is it hard to get into jobs like Myer and Coles or any other jobs like normal retail shops that are better than maccas? I mean, i'll only apply for maccas if it's hard to get into all other half-decent jobs...lol

Last edited:

akrinis

HSC
VuongstER_boi said:
Hey, so is it hard to get into jobs like Myer and Coles or any other jobs like normal retail shops that are better than maccas? I mean, i'll only apply for maccas if it's hard to get into all other half-decent jobs...lol
Department stores like MYER and DAVID JONES are quite hard to get jobs for, and unless you have prior retail experience I would think you would wait a long time to get an answer.

Fast-food outlets take very little time to respond back. I applied online on 13/11, and was asked to interview on 24/11. I went to the interview and got an email the next day saying I got the job.

If you have no retail experience, stick with TARGET, K-MART, BIG W, COLES, and WOOLWORTHS or fast food outlets.

Last edited:

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
General labouring. Easy job, you just do what your boss tells you to.
no experience necessary really.
lol my first job at the moment is making bricks.
i make bricks.
the end haha
too easy really.

HSC
I just went on gumtree.com.au for the first time...

some seedy, seedy job adverts and work wanted... one woman posted a thing wanting a professional tattooist and his mate to tattoo her while having an orgy

like WUT?!

sparkerasp

HSC
babikakez said:
Just apply everywhere that has vacancies, especially considering that a lot of retail stores will have filled their positions for christmas.
True. So you are a bit late, but keep searching and applying. I find www.hippo.com.au a pretty useful site.

proringz

HSC
Look through the papers for any ads. I applied online a few months back for Coles, and they called me for an interview a week before HSC started. Then a week before HSC finished I found out I got it. I also had no experience, but you gotta start somewhere.

Dr. Oyster

HSC
settle*precious said:
I just went on gumtree.com.au for the first time...

some seedy, seedy job adverts and work wanted... one woman posted a thing wanting a professional tattooist and his mate to tattoo her while having an orgy

like WUT?!
sick ass site.

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Also, Just wondering on two things:

1. can you apply for more than one store location of the same Company. eg. Target. so that you may increase your chances ? lol.

2. What exactly are referees that you put down on your resume. Can they be family friends?

( I am so new to this whole 'work' thing lol)

Last edited:

*So WOnderful*

HSC
VuongstER_boi said:
Also, Just wondering on two things:

1. can you apply for more than one store location of the same Company. eg. Target. so that you may increase your chances ? lol.

2. What exactly are referees that you put down on your resume. Can they be family friends?

For the jobs at Target, you have to apply manually ie fill in paper application form for every store you want to apply for and submit it to each store . Each store does their own staff recruitment.

sparkerasp

HSC
VuongstER_boi said:
Referees are basically people who know you quite well and can range from past employees (including work experience) to school teachers. It is strongly advised that you don't put down family or family friends (even if they have been past employers) because they've known you for your entire life and that's not exactly what the employer is looking for.

If you haven't had any work experience your options are a teacher/principal at school, your church pastor (or someone if you go to church), or someone similar. Basically, anyone who knows what you’re like to work with and is willing to promote your skills and work ethic.
Don't worry about that, we all have to start somewhere. I was also new to this a few months ago. Now I have a nice job and I've learnt new things :spin:

VuongstER_boi

HSC
*So WOnderful* said:
For the jobs at Target, you have to apply manually ie fill in paper application form for every store you want to apply for and submit it to each store . Each store does their own staff recruitment.
Ahh oks, thanks!

VuongstER_boi

HSC
sparkerasp said:
Referees are basically people who know you quite well and can range from past employees (including work experience) to school teachers. It is strongly advised that you don't put down family or family friends (even if they have been past employers) because they've known you for your entire life and that's not exactly what the employer is looking for.

If you haven't had any work experience your options are a teacher/principal at school, your church pastor (or someone if you go to church), or someone similar. Basically, anyone who knows what you’re like to work with and is willing to promote your skills and work ethic.
Don't worry about that, we all have to start somewhere. I was also new to this a few months ago. Now I have a nice job and I've learnt new things :spin:
Well, looks like I might have to go back to school for a visit.....I guess I might get one of my teachers..... who sorta likes me lol . I'm not sure bout principal though cos I've had had a record of coming late into school ....occasionally ....hm.

lol, yeah, I guess we all have to start somewhere. That's really cool for you =) . I guess the reason why I'm looking for a job is to break the monotony of staying at home everyday(almost) since the hsc. Somehow, I feel directionless at home ....so I guess getting a job will be pretty cool'..

So like , where do you work now? Is this the same job as ur first?lol' ..

Last edited:

langlece

HSC
Safeway/Woolworths is generally a very easy place to get a job. I hate it now and I'm in the process of quitting, but I got my job towards the end of year 10, in October 2006 and I didn't even have a resume!! My sole experience was a week's work experience in a Law firm. As long as they're looking for a few people, it's pretty easy as long as you look confident in front of people and are good at communicating.

As for being a good place to work, it depends entirely on management. I used to absolutely love it, my boss was the most amazing person ever and it was all fun and games. Now our new boss is great, but the 2ic is horrible and hated by everyone, so everyone is quitting. I don't think that is the norm, but it's something to keep in mind. Maybe ask peoples at the store you're thinking of applying at :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)