First job 8d (1 Viewer)

projectarms

HSC
okay im a 15 year old kid who needs a job, like all my friends have jobs already. I was wondering how to ask my parents if i can have a job, like i can just 'can i have a job' can i?
is greater union or boost better? or is kfc or maccas better? or city beach i really dunno, what are good places which are recogninsed as good employers?
ty for your help :D

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
I don't know if City Beach would hire people without retail experience - I work for a competitor of theirs and we don't. I've had friends work at Greater Union and they love it (one has worked his way up to management), and I've read on posts here that Maccas pays more than KFC, if you don't mind food it'd be a good place to start. Personally I'd apply anywhere you could see yourself working at, because a lot of the major retailers get flooded with resumes, and it could take months for a reply if they have no vacancies.

I think if you go to your parents and say that you'd like a job to be able to become a little more financially independent, they'd appreciate that. Working gives you a lot of opportunities to buy what you want (without bugging parents for money), you learn how to manage your finances, and you can save up for things that you want. My first job allowed me to go overseas and buy a brand new car, and gave me experience to move onto new jobs. Just stress that your job won't get in the way of your schoolwork, make sure you schedule time to do homework and assignments and don't take on heaps of shifts.

Dod0

HSC
I work at maccas and its pretty good, liad back, etc and they hire almost anyone. its a good place to work as your first job as they dont really care about past trainings, etc. Boost is also good I know a few people who work there and they reckon its the best job! As for KFC I personally wouldnt recommend it, alot of people I've knows said it was pretty shit work

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
okay im a 15 year old kid who needs a job, like all my friends have jobs already. I was wondering how to ask my parents if i can have a job, like i can just 'can i have a job' can i?
is greater union or boost better? or is kfc or maccas better? or city beach i really dunno, what are good places which are recogninsed as good employers?
Unless you've got connections, you're looking at retail and fast food.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
You seriously are going to "ask" your parents for a job? Lol what say do they have in it? Apply at heaps of places and tell them when you get an interview :)
Nobody can stop you from getting a job..

BTW, Safeway/Woolworths are the highest paying retail in Australia. They are always after 15 year olds. $10.54 an hour (pay rise soon too). Get in on it, i did :)

ajay12

Can count to potato
HSC
Why would they refuse you to have a job? Get's you experience, stop leeching off them. I'd say they were a bit slow to ask you the same question.

All those employers you listed, are different. City Beach = Retailer. Boost/Maccas/KFC = Food Outlet. I don't even know what to classify Greater Union as, entertainment? I suppose.

If you want to work with food, smell like food, get free food, I suggest working in food outlet. If you want to have discounts on clothes, suggest retailer and if you want to watch free movies, suggest Greater Union.

I work at a Video store, I don't watch movies though so I hate my job.

raniaaa

:)
HSC
i used to work at kfc :D i really enjoyed it but maybe because my work mates were cool.
although dealing with hungry customers can be a bit of a pain, seriously everyone's so picky with their food. and also i got these burns on my arms.. which are still visible even though it's been a good 2 years.

so yeah i wouldn't recommend working in a food outlet, however if you can't get anything else you might as well :)

projectarms

HSC
You seriously are going to "ask" your parents for a job? Lol what say do they have in it? Apply at heaps of places and tell them when you get an interview :)
Nobody can stop you from getting a job..

BTW, Safeway/Woolworths are the highest paying retail in Australia. They are always after 15 year olds. $10.54 an hour (pay rise soon too). Get in on it, i did :)
yea good point, i asked my mum and she was like what about school work, i will just apply, thanks :D

hairspray

HSC
I work at maccas and its pretty good, liad back, etc and they hire almost anyone. its a good place to work as your first job as they dont really care about past trainings, etc. Boost is also good I know a few people who work there and they reckon its the best job! As for KFC I personally wouldnt recommend it, alot of people I've knows said it was pretty shit work
Are you seriously trying to compare fast food chains? In my opinion there's no difference between maccas and kfc except the menu. Both oily, stressful and exploit cheap labour!

My friend whose 16 (lives in sydney) works at a library and gets paid $15/hr for sorting out books, not a hard job and its good $$. And she didn't have any "connections" with the library... she just told them that she's currently in yr11 and asked if there were any positions available. So be confident and speak clearly, tell them what you want ie. a paid job NOT volunteer work (people can get easily confused)

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
Grill'd is pretty good, though again, it's hot and stressful. You get paid the same low rate as everyone else but it's also a bit more laid back and hip. We had a few 15 year olds at our shop.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
fast food outlets are the most viable option in your case.
Get some experience and try out for coles/woolworths later.

parawhoree

HSC
I was 14 when i asked my parents to get a job. That was at the local fast food outlet with the rest of my year (my school pretty much ran the store) i was there for 2 years, got incredibly turned off the food as they treated me like a slave doing double shifts almost every weekend, as i was young and couldn't say no to the managers as they make you feel like shit for saying no... so i ended up doing around 25 hours over one shift on a school night and then the rest on the weekend.

I am very glad i left there. the training was okay, the crew were awesome, the only dickheads you will have to watch for are the managers and shitty customers that like to throw food back at you.

Honestly my advice: DO NOT WORK IN FAST FOOD try and get a job at woolies/coles/somewhere thats not going to make you feel ill everytime you see an add with a cliche'd catchphrase.

/rant

Get a job at a toy store, or a clothing shop or anywhere thats not fast food.

Kiim2507

HSC
Well I work at KFC and I like it...managers and works mates are good though. Pretty sure the 15 years olds are only earning around $7 which is pretty pathetic lol. But they hire young people with no experience where as places like city beach and greater union probably don't

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)