• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

FINS2624 - What the fuck (1 Viewer)

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Oh great, so 50% of people are gonna pass. I didn't realise how fucked I am then. I regret reading this now lol.
Why does he put so many spreadsheet exercises in? It never was a course about spreadsheets. I think he wants us to use his book - just change the whole course around so we can use his book. god. cant stand him.
Spreadsheet exercises are there to make the course a bit more industry relevant. Just like the news articles and journals. These things aren't heavily tested (maybe a few questions in the midsems, dont remember it in the final at all)

Again if you were working in industry then excel etc. becomes your bread and butter and you'd be expected to be keeping up with macro news as a given.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with Vagabond- spreadsheets have a very practical use and if anything, I think the way that it's taught should be improved to make it more important. When you do start working, having Excel skills is sometimes taken for granted.

chinaman21

HSC
lol so lucky for me :p only sem yip was away, I did 2624 . . . test was available online!!! . . . . goodluck to everyone who has Yip!!

FuJu

HSC
I'm doing it now, and it's quite similar to 1613, which I did last semester. Very mathematical. Not really that similar to 1612 (thankfully).

Involves a lot of bond pricing, evaluating risk/return, you'll encounter CAPM again, as well as new stuff on portfolio theory (ranking porfolios) and such. Wish I could tell you more but I haven't been to lectures since week two... And now I'll probably pay the price seeing as we've got a mid-session on Wednesday. :(

It's not that hard, probably same difficulty as 1613 I'd say. Maybe even a tad easier, at least for me. Yip sets some stupid assessments though, like the 80 (yes, 80) word assignment. I think the mid-session is too heavily weighted as well (35%), and it's all multiple choice which I don't think I like.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I'm doing it now, and it's quite similar to 1613, which I did last semester. Very mathematical. Not really that similar to 1612 (thankfully).

Involves a lot of bond pricing, evaluating risk/return, you'll encounter CAPM again, as well as new stuff on portfolio theory (ranking porfolios) and such. Wish I could tell you more but I haven't been to lectures since week two... And now I'll probably pay the price seeing as we've got a mid-session on Wednesday. :(

It's not that hard, probably same difficulty as 1613 I'd say. Maybe even a tad easier, at least for me. Yip sets some stupid assessments though, like the 80 (yes, 80) word assignment. I think the mid-session is too heavily weighted as well (35%), and it's all multiple choice which I don't think I like.
I do CAPM in financial econometrics (ECON3106) and it's fucking pissing me off as I actually have to use the stupid model in econometric software...

whoisurdaddy

HSC

80 word assignment LOL!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)