FINS1613 = Snore inducing! (1 Viewer)

Acid

HSC
Did any of you have FINS1613 today? I'm hating it already - we had a mumbling lecturer who spent 10 minutes on every line of the lecture notes. This is the first lecture i've been to where I was seriously struggling to stay awake.

And my QMB lecturer didn't even turn up, so it looks like Day 1 of Semester 2 was a complete waste. :)

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
omg, couldn't agree more! he speaks in a monotone!

You're in the qmb lect from 11-12 right?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
who's doing fins1613? zhang?
what are you on about qmb lecturer not showing up???
eh??
i just checked there's only one stream of qmb on monday and i'm pretty damn sure i was there and lance was lecturing and his a great lecturer that none of the stupid people in the lecture theatre can appreciate because you were all talking and not even listening! no respect what so ever, hate all those stupid fobs.....sitting behind me and telling her friends how she failed two courses (in another language of course), i just wanted to turn around and say maybe if you shut your trap you won't fail!?
i honestly haven't been to a lecture where so many people were talking and not listening...this was in mathews A and it was pretty much packed!

end rant.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
I went to the 2-4pm lecture for FINS1613 today.. was okay, but I nearly fell asleep (the only other time this has ever happened was ACTL1001- Sachi)

And Zhian Chen (I think thats his name) is doing it. He's using the same lecture slides as last session.

tempco

HSC
wow, so who went to the monday fins lecture?

i went, and he wasn't too bad. he has a mad haircut though.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
t-i-m-m-y said:
I went to the 2-4pm lecture for FINS1613 today.. was okay, but I nearly fell asleep (the only other time this has ever happened was ACTL1001- Sachi)

And Zhian Chen (I think thats his name) is doing it. He's using the same lecture slides as last session.
and the same slides as the session before...and the session before that...etc

The notes were first created when the textbook was published: just see the cover to see when it was published. I know this because my FINS1613 tutor made them.

ricenoodles

HSC
Did this course last year. The quizes are easy but I got hammered in the final. Went from a HD before the final down to a CR. Gotta love those final exams.

I am selling the FINS1613 textbook if anyone's interested (see buy/sell forum)
/end shameless self-promotion

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
jay2000, no you can't

google for "class utilisation site:cse.unsw.edu.au"

And for those who did fins1613, do you recall what weeks the quizzes were in??

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
Ok thanks

Anyway
When i did it last year, pretty sure the tutor told us the week before if we were to be quizzed the following week.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
yeah.. i just want to know what weeks the quizzes are.. helps with my planning for this semester..

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
ricenoodles said:
Did this course last year. The quizes are easy but I got hammered in the final. Went from a HD before the final down to a CR. Gotta love those final exams.
Can you tell me the structure of the quizes and the final exam? What type of questions is in it, multiple choice or short answers? Is it mainly on understanding like problem solving and calculation, or is it more on rote learning stuff like memorizing the lecture notes?

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
I'm just guessing, but I think the quizzes have a little bit on ROTE learning style.. but the final will definitely require understanding.

Either way, just memorise and understand everything, it doesn't hurt:)

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Lecture material tested
Weeks: 2&3; 5&6; 10&11; 12&13

final exam all multiple choice, i think 60 questions? can't remember but that doesn't matter....
have to do it fast....really fast! if you understand everything then final is easy, just takes a lot of time
many tricks, so have to know things well

textbook is useless, you can do the course without reading anything from the textbook, the only thing you need to use the textbook for are the questions, also because americans are stupid they use financial calculators so some of the questions cannot be done without a lot of work by hand as the qusetions are designed with use of fin calculators

just read lecture notes, attend lectures and do all tutorial questions then easy DN or HD if you get lucky
course has no scaling so you get what you get

also don't think this course is a walk over and you will ace it, that will be your biggest mistake

Last edited:

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
redslert said:
just read lecture notes, attend lectures and do all tutorial questions then easy DN or HD if you get lucky
course has no scaling so you get what you get

also don't think this course is a walk over and you will ace it, that will be your biggest mistake
okay. thanks for that.. i'll try.. and come back at the end of the semester with a HD hopefully:)

hkalanshiu

HSC
yeh FINS1613 is really snoring

i nearly fall asleep

and i am retaking it...
failed it last semester

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
t-i-m-m-y said:
okay. thanks for that.. i'll try.. and come back at the end of the semester with a HD hopefully:)
hehe when i was typing that out i had people who weren't actuaries in mind
giving advice to you timmy this course is extremely easy, most of the things you have done already in actl1001 and things done in accounting which you love so very much
you will have no problems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)