FINS1613 = Snore inducing! (1 Viewer)

PeT_peT

HSC
i totally felt asleep in last wk's fins 1613 lecture...i even hogged two tables so i cld sleep better..LOL let's hope i dun repeat myself tmr

Acid

HSC
LOL I didn't go to yesterdays lecture. After the first one, I couldn't see myself sitting through round 2. But thankfully the textbook and lecture notes are pretty solid so I don't think it's really necessary anyway.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
redslert said:
normal commerce is bludgy and easy
if you have ever attempted actuarial course you would understand
actuarial can be bludgey if u can cram like hell. that isnt the case with maths (eg for 1st yr actl)

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
PeT_peT said:
i totally felt asleep in last wk's fins 1613 lecture...i even hogged two tables so i cld sleep better..LOL let's hope i dun repeat myself tmr
hahahah now theres an idea :cool:

Acid said:
LOL I didn't go to yesterdays lecture. After the first one, I couldn't see myself sitting through round 2. But thankfully the textbook and lecture notes are pretty solid so I don't think it's really necessary anyway.
Kathryn was actually quite good. :) But then again.. maybe I understood cus twas just qma revision.. :rolleyes:

lol, relax redslert, I was just pullin ur leg.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
yeh kathryn was alot better... tho a bit repetitive...the 1 and half hours of this weeks lecture was done in ~15 minutes in actuarial studies

and apparently the tute questions are recycled from previously as well... lectures, tutes, notes, how lazy are these people

you cant cram actuarial....carl.. you dont even do it anymore..:p

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Constip8edSkunk said:
yeh kathryn was alot better... tho a bit repetitive...the 1 and half hours of this weeks lecture was done in ~15 minutes in actuarial studies

and apparently the tute questions are recycled from previously as well... lectures, tutes, notes, how lazy are these people

you cant cram actuarial....carl.. you dont even do it anymore..:p
there are ppl in actuarial who cram and get their exemptions..u just need 2 ask dem

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
yeh thats true but you cant do well by just cramming like you can say in accounting/economics

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Constip8edSkunk said:
you went to the lecture? i told raymond not to go because we've done everything already last year

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
actuarial can be bludgey if u can cram like hell. that isnt the case with maths (eg for 1st yr actl)
Can't you cram math? What is actuarial anyways, is it just harder finance or something?

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Carl man.. You can cram actuarial and get your exemptions... but its not like other subjects where u can cram and come out with a nice mark (ie. distinction+).

MAICHI:
Actuarial Studies involves the application of quantitative, economics and financial models and analysis to long-term financial management particularly in life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and superannuation, as well as in other financial services.

Actuarial courses at UNSW involve the study of models used to quantify and manage risks and the principles involved in pricing, risk assessment, investment, financial management and financial soundness of insurance companies, benefit plans, financial service companies and financial projects.

The courses are quantitative and intellectually demanding. Students require a strong ability and interest in mathematics, statistics and their applications to business. Actuaries are employed by insurance companies, superannuation funds, banks, and governments and also practise as consulting actuaries.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
MAICHI said:
Can't you cram math?
ive found that maths has more assessments spread out and the concepts can be quite challenging so it makes it harder to cram. but even so, the marks are fairly well distributed. imo, actuarial is just very compact which makes it challenging. not sure of any other ways to descrbe it....

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
t-i-m-m-y said:
The courses are quantitative and intellectually demanding. Students require a strong ability and interest in mathematics, statistics and their applications to business. Actuaries are employed by insurance companies, superannuation funds, banks, and governments and also practise as consulting actuaries.
Is the math in actuarial subjects harder than the math offered by school of mathematics?

Has anyone done the finance homework for next week? I think the math in there is really easy.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
MAICHI: are u thinking of doing actuarial/already doing it?

Personally, I think the Maths school is more pure maths, actuarial is more applied.

THe finance homework is piss easy, I'll do it sometime later:D

Last edited:

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
MAICHI said:
Is the math in actuarial subjects harder than the math offered by school of mathematics?

Has anyone done the finance homework for next week? I think the math in there is really easy.
lol you can't compare finance maths to anything
it's easy, you can usually do all the tut questions for finance on a 15min train ride

where as for actuarial maths sometimes it takes you an entire weekend to get only 75% of the work completed

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
t-i-m-m-y said:
MAICHI: are u thinking of doing actuarial/already doing it?
I'm doing finance at the moment, but I don't know, might change my mind. Actuarial sounds just like finance except more exciting and harder, which is good and bad I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)