• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Final days for subject selection for the undecided :L (1 Viewer)

Eg155

HSC
^ subject lines are due now and have no idea what to fill my last 2 units with, I'm taking the max of 14 to see which i like the most. So advice would be much appreciated :)

choices are:
* English Ext 1
*Physics
*Economics
*Ancient History

I've currently got : Eng Adv, Bio, Chem, 2U maths, modern history and society and culture.
My strengths lie in the humanities but i want to follow a career in medicine.

TheCardician

HSC
You could do Maths. Extension 1 and English Extension 1, hence you have 14 units. Extension maths aligns and scales very well, that is if you perform quite well, and it would definitely help into getting into medicine.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh that's cool how your school can fit 14 units on the timetable.

All the subjects you're choosing out of have good merits to them. I've done two of them lol If your strengths lie in humanities, do eco or ext eng 1.
Even though I dropped eco, it was a solid subject to take and I didn't actively dislike it. Also best scaling 2u humanity :)

Ancient is not as good scaling as the other three choices, and not sure if you like history enough to do 4u in addition to modern. The two histories have quite different slants though-so you could try to see which you like more.

Eg155

HSC
You could do Maths. Extension 1 and English Extension 1, hence you have 14 units. Extension maths aligns and scales very well, that is if you perform quite well, and it would definitely help into getting into medicine.
well i practically had to beg for the 14 units because i expressed interest in A LOT of subjects actually 20 units worth... had/ still having trouble. Hating this.

I want to do ext 1 math and ext 1 eng but maybe it'll be too overwhelming with 14 units with 2 extensions?
Also, im not particualary good at maths, but i can be if i put enough effort. And if im not then im sacrificing my atar :L

Eg155

HSC
Oh that's cool how your school can fit 14 units on the timetable.

All the subjects you're choosing out of have good merits to them. I've done two of them lol If your strengths lie in humanities, do eco or ext eng 1.
Even though I dropped eco, it was a solid subject to take and I didn't actively dislike it. Also best scaling 2u humanity :)

Ancient is not as good scaling as the other three choices, and not sure if you like history enough to do 4u in addition to modern. The two histories have quite different slants though-so you could try to see which you like more.
my school's dux last year got 99.90 atar with ancient and visual arts, notably low-scaling...
I love my histories too.... but ext english... eco would be helpful with general life and knowledge... physics would be applicable to medicine...

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd take either Physics or Economics.....
(Okay, I'm a bit bias because I'm doing both next year xD)

zombies

HSC
I say economics, cos you're already taking two sciences and a history. But I think 14 units is too much :/

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
lol people in this thread saying "pick this because it scales well"

To the OP: pick what you like. Don't pick a subject because it scales 'well' and also 14 units is manageable. I did 14 units.

polpe

HSC
I'd do mx1 or eng ex

these are both courses that scale fairly well and have more options later (but i doubt you wana do 4u because you havent nominated 3u yet)

Also my school carrer coucilor says to do medecine the highest english level your capable of is recommeneeded

Eg155

HSC
True...... OP needs some spare time to chillax.

To the OP:
If ur are absolutely determined on med....

Now... for the UMAT path (which u take in July in yr 12).... the good news is that you don't need any science assumed knowledge and don't need 99.95 atar to do medicine (except for USYD.... although for the other unis..... try to get at least 98-99 atar)... The bad news is the UMAT is hellish competitive (I sat the UMAT test this year... so I know...There were around 2000 people doing the test at the same time in the same hall as me at Olympic Park). If you fail the make it into medicine in the UMAT path, consider the Gamsat path or try again. You can also sit the UMAT as many times as you want.... as long as you've done yr 12.

Be prepared to take the Gamsat path.... which means you do the GAMSAT test during the last and/or the second-last year of ur Bachelor's degree..... and you need 1st year uni bio, 1st year uni chem and YR12 PHYSICS assumed knowledge. But don't worry.... I would choose economics in your situation.... cos physics isn't very hard to self-learn and plus, it ain't good to do all three sciences for ur HSC. (Good... I see ur doing biology...... cos that's the subject i'm having trouble to self-learn for). Have a think about what Bachelor degree you may want to do for uni (does not have to be a science degree cos you can self-learn the sciences for the Gamsat). Think about this over yr 11 and yr 12..... until you have a firm choice for ur ideal bachelor degree. Choose a degree you think you will do good in (you need a strong academic record for ur bachelor degree)

Remember, you can do the GAMSAT and the UMAT for as many times as you want (heck, you can even sit both in the same year... as long as you are in the second-last year and onwards of ur bachelor degree)

EDIT: I see it was too late for me to make this post.... but if you do read it... please give it some thought.
thanks, you really helped. It wasn't too late, I'm going to send it now i think.... I'm interested in economics too, but my english teacher recommended me ext english over the others. Also, i want to do ext 2 because u get to write speeches for the major work :)
but really, u have been very informative :awesome:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well if you like your histories and english and definitely than its out of eng ext and ancient then. But if you're taking eng ext, how will you have 14 because you don't seem keen on another 1 unit subbie. But seeing as you want to do EE2 you have to do EE1/

Also I think it's good to try 14 units at first but (personally) you don't see many people keeping them all the way through as it can split your time quite thinly. But I advocate trying as many units as you can at first so you can pick and choose from the ones you try. Like honestly, at the start of yr 11 I wish I had the option to try some more subjects-I could potentially be doing some very different subjects now.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^I would counter that economics is priceless, although I'm not disputing some of it is useful stuff to know because it is global. I think history is a great subject for getting you "out of your own context" and having empathy to understand situations. Depending what elective you do in EE1, you get into different ways of thinking, again getting you to reevaluate your stance etc.

History has relevance in daily life because you are more aware of why things happen in the world today (more so with Modern than Ancient) but anyway...OP is choosing out of all interesting subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)