Fight of the century! (1 Viewer)

Who will win?

• Total voters

astroman

HSC
“I thought I won the fight,” Pacquiao said after the fight. “He didn’t do nothing.”

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Neither really care. Both will be treated as legends. With regards to all the hype and 'bandwagons'. Boxing is definitely not a 'mainstream' sport but I'm sure most people who follow sports generally are aware of mayweather and equally of Pacquiao. They would also have some understanding of the context. TMT can't really say 'greatest ever (this era lol)' without beating the Pacquiao. Judges clearly made a fair call - TMT dominated throughout. But really no one cares - they both walk out champions with more money than we will ever see.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Neither really care. Both will be treated as legends. With regards to all the hype and 'bandwagons'. Boxing is definitely not a 'mainstream' sport but I'm sure most people who follow sports generally are aware of mayweather and equally of Pacquiao. They would also have some understanding of the context. TMT can't really say 'greatest ever (this era lol)' without beating the Pacquiao. Judges clearly made a fair call - TMT dominated throughout. But really no one cares - they both walk out champions with more money than we will ever see.
what fight were you watching

astroman

HSC
Here is an explanation of why Mayweather won from /r/explainlikeimfive

Pacquiao was the aggressor for most of the fight, and he swung a lot more. The crowd was clearly on his side, and Mayweather rarely drove forward.
But these things don't matter to the judges, or at least they shouldn't. Who was better at landing punches, who dictated the pace, who did the most damage, these things matter. And Mayweather did all those things. He threw less, but landed more. His hits were doing more damage. It was very rare that Mayweather ever seemed trapped, even buried in the corner.
Pacquiao need a lot more of those flurry pieces, and he didn't get through Mayweather's defense most of those times.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Lol mayweather was buried in corners the entire fight. Running the entire fight. Holding EVERY SINGLE TIME pacman go close to knocking his ass on the ground. Don't know what fight the judges were watching or you were watching, Pacman was leading the tempo the entire fight.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
tell me why they shortened boxing to 12 rounds again?

i remember the fight in rocky iv went to 15 rounds - or is that ~russian~ boxing

astroman

HSC
Lol mayweather was buried in corners the entire fight. Running the entire fight. Holding EVERY SINGLE TIME pacman go close to knocking his ass on the ground. Don't know what fight the judges were watching or you were watching, Pacman was leading the tempo the entire fight.
Correct me if i'm wrong but judging a boxing match is not entirely determined on who is overpowering who but rather who connects the most punches rather than most punches thrown. Pretty much quality than quantity or something like that but i might be wrong.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Correct me if i'm wrong but judging a boxing match is not entirely determined on who is overpowering who but rather who connects the most punches rather than most punches thrown. Pretty much quality than quantity or something like that but i might be wrong.
Correct. Still Pacman had landed way harder and way more punches than mayweather. I don't know what fight the judges were watching. Mayweather is a much better defensive fighter and he did land some great punches during the fight. It's just pacman landed WAY more hard punches as well. Even the commentators had pacman 8-4 and so did most people on ringside.

astroman

HSC
Correct. Still Pacman had landed way harder and way more punches than mayweather. I don't know what fight the judges were watching. Mayweather is a much better defensive fighter and he did land some great punches during the fight. It's just pacman landed WAY more hard punches as well. Even the commentators had pacman 8-4 and so did most people on ringside.
i am in the same boat as you, are you considering matchfixing?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
lol people watch their first boxing fight ever and think they know more than the judges

Firstly for people who think Manny should have won cos he "was more aggressive and Floyd just ran and hugged":

The fight is based on four things. First is the amount of CLEAN punches. This is punches to zones like the head/side of face that are landed with the knuckles (very specific zone), and are not blocked or glanced by the opponent.

Second is EFFECTIVE aggression. This is based on how effective the aggression actually was. Yes, Manny was way more aggressive, but it was not effective. Effectiveness is mostly judged upon getting a clean punch during the aggression.

Floyd rekt Manny in terms of clean punches, hence why he wins the above.

Now the third is defence. Yes, defence is considered. Let's be honest, you can't beat Floyd at defence.

Last is control of the fight. The judges know the boxer's fightstyle - Manny is offensive whilst Floyd is defensive. Now Floyd's defence shut down Manny's offence, and Manny eventually had to fight Floyd at his own game basically. Floyd controlled the fight.

It's boxing, not a street fight. Floyd won the BOXING match.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Tbf mayweather is like the chelsea of the boxing world, good at what he does but boring as shit

People who watched this by ppv must be feeling pretty annoyed by the snoozefest they forked out for

Also the way he won shows he isn't on the same level of the greats like Ali, Tyson, Foreman and Sugar Ray Robinson

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Tbf mayweather is like the chelsea of the boxing world, good at what he does but boring as shit

People who watched this by ppv must be feeling pretty annoyed by the snoozefest they forked out for

Also the way he won shows he isn't on the same level of the greats like Ali, Tyson, Foreman and Sugar Ray Robinson
Boring is the team that has not won a title in 10 years, that is boring

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

This is frekn hilarious.

Its really funny watching people who have no idea what boxing is and who have rarely, if not never, followed boxing to be making sweeping statements that are totally wrong and suddenly think they are experts.

As someone who is a boxer for club, and has followed boxing for the past 5 years, i know that you are completely wrong and making yourself look foolish. Boxing is NOT street fighting you dumbo.

NO ONE had Pacquaio 8-4. NO ONE NO ONE NO FUCKING ONE. The most that anyone gave Pacqaiou was 7-5( Mayweather - Pacman) and thats being super generous to Pacman.

Boxing is more than punches thrown, and defence. Its about smart boxing, strategies, movement around the ring - ring presence, connected shots, shots appropriately defended, flurries etc.

Every commentator, every boxer in attendance acknowledged Floyd's massive win.

You know shit about boxing.

Last edited:

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A

You had a good post until this foolish statement. Floyd has a case for being the best boxer there ever was. Fine, it is arguable (personally i think Ali take it followed by Sugar Ray and Rocky Marciano) but Floyd is definitely up there and might even be the best of the best.

Floyd is a smart boxer. He adjusts to different styles and deals with them effectively. This may lead to boring fights for the casual viewers, but it cements his skill as being superb. Every one who knows boxing recognises Floyd as being the best of this era and arguably the best ever.

There is no boxer currently that will beat Floyd. I think there is one to challenge him and give him problems, but still not defeat him - Amir Khan.

The way he won shows that he is one hell of a smart effective great boxer capable of outsmarting previous greats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)