failing (1 Viewer)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
He doesn't need advice on how to improve his marks, he needs to be encouraged to quit and get a job. He is clearly not interested in doing any work so why should he continue wasting his time and money.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
jake2.0 said:
Wait so in other departments the final isn't worth at least 60%? Man that'd make life so much easier.

And i beg to differ on the cram sessions not working :p
Last exam I had was worth 30% lol. (2 years ago)

X

xeuyrawp

iamsickofyear12 said:
He doesn't need advice on how to improve his marks, he needs to be encouraged to quit and get a job. He is clearly not interested in doing any work so why should he continue wasting his time and money.
I think it's already been said a few times in the thread that uni and accounting isn't for everybody.

However, I don't think it's reasonable to say 'you're shit at uni, quit and get a job'. If he wants to stay at uni, he should, regardless of his marks. He if wants to stay at uni and get a job with his degree, he obviously needs to pull his socks up. If he wants to leave uni, he can. But none of this is evident, so it's best just to answer his questions.

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
I am one of those people that doesn't do anything all semester. I cram everything two weeks before the exam... since I started doing it in first-year, my short-term memory capacity must've increased by at least 3000%... but it does mean spending an entire two weeks indoors and never leaving my study area.

Still, I seem to be able to get away with it, my marks are good, and I haven't failed anything to date, and I don't expect to either.

Anyway, this is what I think of your situation... if you're not at least somewhat motivated to do it in the first place, then don't bother doing it. It's better to do something you enjoy and thus be good at it, rather than do something you hate and thus fail it.

Why are you doing accounting? What are your motivations? Unless you're going to perform well, there's no point in doing it... you'll graduate with mediocre marks, and get some dead-end $36 000 boring accounting job... trust me, there are plenty of other jobs out there that pay the same but will be more enjoyable for you.

So my advice is to forget accounting; start looking at alternatives, other options... figure out what you enjoy doing and go from there.

Here's an interesting fact though; the physicist Steven Hawking (the man with the highest IQ in the world)... he found that he didn't really enjoy physics until he started to work very hard at it... just something to think about.

Luke.

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
PwarYuex said:
I think it's already been said a few times in the thread that uni and accounting isn't for everybody.

However, I don't think it's reasonable to say 'you're shit at uni, quit and get a job'. If he wants to stay at uni, he should, regardless of his marks. He if wants to stay at uni and get a job with his degree, he obviously needs to pull his socks up. If he wants to leave uni, he can. But none of this is evident, so it's best just to answer his questions.
"Accounting isn't for everybody" doesn't cover it. Anyone doing so little work that they basically fail everything in the first year doesn't belong at uni at all. Even non-interest in the subject can't account for such bad marks. It's more of a non-interest in doing and work and uni in general, and changing degrees won't solve that.

I think it is. If he can't be bothered now how is he all of a sudden become bothered next year... it only gets harder later on... even harder for him now that he has fails to redo.

The_Adonis

HSC
There are a lot of know it alls in here who are quick to judge someone who isnt performing that great. I believe coming here and asking for some advice shows that they do care about their degree a bit more than nothing.

Everyone is different some people find they only do well if they work hard all semester.
In EFS I found that internal work meant very little to the final mark. If i did crap internally or did well internally my final mark would differ very slightly so I found it more efficient to coast during the semester and work hard in the final 2 weeks as someone mentioned above, because it worked for me.

You can pass if you put effort in at the end. I think the big flaw is the emphasis the department puts on the final exam. I honestly think more substantive tests during the semester and a reduced final. Many of my mates at Syd and UNSW have 40% finals that you dont even need to pass to get through the course.
I believe Mac has an agenda for ppl to fail for the moolah...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Theres only one person (imsick) who is telling them to piss off, and I don't even think they're a MQ student.

dracover

HSC
i agree with the maq has an agenda to fail people. i've had lecturers tell me (off the record off course) especially in core subjects if they pass too many people they are pressured to make exams harder the following yr. they have the if too many people pass it lowers the standard mentality.

this has proven incredibily bad for me and severel of my friends. not the failing bit but moreso the cr and d bit. i rem requiring a cr in somthing for acst exemption missing by onli 1 mark. i rem reviewing my tuts and things and was able to legitamitely find a mark here or there in assignments to push me to that exemption bracket. after consulting the lecturer in charge he found every reason in the book to not give me the mark. he tried to even say "oh tell me some of ur friends and i'll look at their assignment marks i bet u all worked closely anyways so there shouldnt be a big difference in marks". and wen the marks were compared mine were substantially less (damn tutor i hate her with the passion) so would have easily got it if i just had a different tutor =(. he still refused to give me marks. he basically made the point that they are given certain guidlines on about the no. of people can pass get exemptions etc so unlike say unsw where everyone can pass and/or get prerequs exemptions or wateva maq is designed to make people repeat. in this case i thought i had a solid case for a formal appeal i rem the lecture basically saying dont bother cause no ones work is perfect and they'll find somewhere to take marks off ..hence i gave up =(.

i know its a bit off topic but wen i read that remark about the uni the passion just came out ahhhh.

and dw about 60% final exams. for me 60% is like a low % for exams i've had 95% final exams god save me

iwannarock

HSC
dracover said:
and dw about 60% final exams. for me 60% is like a low % for exams i've had 95% final exams god save me
i've got a 100% exam 2morow.

of which im trying to learn the whole course today for the first time.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
dracover said:
Yea i love Jim Farmer too :)

Will_2005_

HSC
Thanks for the good replies. Some of you have hit it right on the head. My only motivation to do accounting was because i heard it was a well paying job and i actually had no idea what i wanted to do career-wise back when i was applying for courses. I know now i don't want to do accounting or probably anything business related because it bores me to death and i just don't see myself being happy employed in the industry.

Problem is, I still don't know what career i want to pursue. I'm not even sure I still wanna be at university right now. I figure my best course of action is to do as well as I can in these upcoming exams and then take a full break from study next year and get a full-time job while I contemplate exactly what i would like to do with my life.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
dracover said:
i agree with the maq has an agenda to fail people. i've had lecturers tell me (off the record off course) especially in core subjects if they pass too many people they are pressured to make exams harder the following yr. they have the if too many people pass it lowers the standard mentality.

this has proven incredibily bad for me and severel of my friends. not the failing bit but moreso the cr and d bit. i rem requiring a cr in somthing for acst exemption missing by onli 1 mark. i rem reviewing my tuts and things and was able to legitamitely find a mark here or there in assignments to push me to that exemption bracket. after consulting the lecturer in charge he found every reason in the book to not give me the mark. he tried to even say "oh tell me some of ur friends and i'll look at their assignment marks i bet u all worked closely anyways so there shouldnt be a big difference in marks". and wen the marks were compared mine were substantially less (damn tutor i hate her with the passion) so would have easily got it if i just had a different tutor =(. he still refused to give me marks. he basically made the point that they are given certain guidlines on about the no. of people can pass get exemptions etc so unlike say unsw where everyone can pass and/or get prerequs exemptions or wateva maq is designed to make people repeat. in this case i thought i had a solid case for a formal appeal i rem the lecture basically saying dont bother cause no ones work is perfect and they'll find somewhere to take marks off ..hence i gave up =(.

i know its a bit off topic but wen i read that remark about the uni the passion just came out ahhhh.

wow you should have kept going :(

that sounds horrible.. you should have said.. i don't really have many friends this semester because your working so much lol but ne way not the point he probably wouldve found another way to take off marks.

I would have kept going, arggh that makes me hate mac now :(

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If they 'pass' everyone, thats 3,000 kids every year that'll be going through when they either shouldn't be or deserving of it.

I'm not saying you don't deserve it, and yes I have been in a similar situation with a shitty tutor, but that's no real basis to say "MQ is a conspiracy".

Dealing in numbers, I would've thought you guys would understand the bell curves and the fact that the market is saturated with people who are largely incompetent or incoherent, or both. Its a quota system, the mark you receive isn't actually indicative of your raw marks (most of the time anyway) but rather your position in relation to everyone. [this is for subjects 40+ which most EFS ones are]. The numbers are set, and so can't be 'biased' against people, there were just others who were seen to be better. Additionally tutors and conveners will all converse on the marks and decide how they should distribute people, its not a single person.

We have people complaining about too many internationals passing, and then they complain about not enough people passing.

Last edited:

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
i see where your coming from asy :)

but dracover sounds like such a nice person that tries and was only a mark away from his waiver thing :( ... it made me feel sad for him

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
- people HAVE to fail. in a normal canditure you'll have the not so bright/lazy people who should not get through the subject. its a filtering process which might seem like a scam but its objective is aligned with deserving students passing through the subject/degree.

- original poster - you need to get some smart friends. network = less work.

- the 2 fail rule applies to certain ACCG2xx subjects. check with EWICK

- accounting is a good place to start if you are unsure of where you want your career to take you. i think it is pretty safe bet if you at least have an idea to work in a businessy/commercial environment.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
accg is horrible though... im studying for accg200 now and i want to stick a fork in my eye :(

X

xeuyrawp

iamsickofyear12 said:
"Accounting isn't for everybody" doesn't cover it. Anyone doing so little work that they basically fail everything in the first year doesn't belong at uni at all. Even non-interest in the subject can't account for such bad marks. It's more of a non-interest in doing and work and uni in general, and changing degrees won't solve that.

I think it is. If he can't be bothered now how is he all of a sudden become bothered next year... it only gets harder later on... even harder for him now that he has fails to redo.
*Bows down* Since you're a clairvoyant or something, could you tell me the next Lotto numbers?

Otherwise, maybe not judge this person whom you've assumedly never met or chatted with?

If you had any sense, you'd know that giving generalised advice based on assumptions is a really bad idea. Telling someone to quit and get a job, when you don't know their circumstance, is just stupid. When you posted, it really wasn't apparent that he maybe didn't want to go to university, hence you're either a clairvoyant or a giver of shitty advice.

pb

Inside The Hollow
HSC
lol i'm sooo not one of those people who can study just the few weeks before and pass. i wish i was though! i procrastinate too much even in the last few days. esp in accounting! argghghgh...
i'm also doing an accounting degree and plan to not work in the industry. 4th year uni student, transferred like a million times and i still don't know what to do with my life.. how sad.

anyway! will_2005 ... i think you should go find what you want to do before you continue, or transfer into something else that interests you. Don't choose your degree based on money. You're already losing money doing so. Doing something you like will make you want to study and your marks will go up. Marks dropping in a degree you don't want to do is really depressing, pointless and wasteful. Trust me lol. Studying accounting units makes me sad.

dracover

HSC
well maq might not have a conspiracy but the sng system doesnt work its a system where by it doesnt allow for different strength of students from year to year and thus even with the rite knowledge u can miss exemption not because of lack of knowledge but cause theres a few more nerds in ur class damn it (this wouldnt happen in unsw for example). anyways bak on track.

gl in exams i hope the original poster does well past papers could help if u can get ur hands on sum.

god more maq annoying thing happened today i had a test that refered to an article that wasnt in our reading list and we were meant to write an essay on it. u know those 40-50 min long essays u do in econ finals ahhhh.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
dracover said:
well maq might not have a conspiracy but the sng system doesnt work its a system where by it doesnt allow for different strength of students from year to year and thus even with the rite knowledge u can miss exemption not because of lack of knowledge but cause theres a few more nerds in ur class damn it (this wouldnt happen in unsw for example). anyways bak on track.

gl in exams i hope the original poster does well past papers could help if u can get ur hands on sum.

god more maq annoying thing happened today i had a test that refered to an article that wasnt in our reading list and we were meant to write an essay on it. u know those 40-50 min long essays u do in econ finals ahhhh.
thats unfair ... how did u know to read it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)