• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

failing (1 Viewer)

dracover

HSC
lol i didnt read it. in my essay i pretended i did read it by making very general comments on the topic and articles.

since my last post i checked webct and like theres been about 20 posts relating to it so its not just me. problems with the maq system and they wonder y we fell in uni rankings.

on the same thing did anyone get that email from the uni about not worrying about low ranking haha.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
dracover said:
well maq might not have a conspiracy but the sng system doesnt work its a system where by it doesnt allow for different strength of students from year to year and thus even with the rite knowledge u can miss exemption not because of lack of knowledge but cause theres a few more nerds in ur class damn it (this wouldnt happen in unsw for example). anyways bak on track.
You keep referring to this but I'm quite sure they use the bell curve, while not officially stating it, otherwise we're in the same situation whereby you're passing 3,000+ students a year, it doesn't happen, its probably not as 'visible' because of their substantially larger demographic compared to ours.

god more maq annoying thing happened today i had a test that refered to an article that wasnt in our reading list and we were meant to write an essay on it. u know those 40-50 min long essays u do in econ finals ahhhh.
Hmm?

That happens all the time, its there to make sure you have comprehension skills and you're able to apply your theories/concepts to something in the same area, but previously unseen. Try doing a 2.5 hour exam on 6 different philosophy readings which are 10 pages each.

Surely you can't expect the world to revolve around spoonfeeding you, particularly as a 3rd year subject where you're expected to perform as a professional/graduate afterwards. Not trying to pick on you, but stuff like this happens to everyone, its not just EFS, and its meant to happen.

dracover said:
lol i didnt read it. in my essay i pretended i did read it by making very general comments on the topic and articles.

since my last post i checked webct and like theres been about 20 posts relating to it so its not just me. problems with the maq system and they wonder y we fell in uni rankings.

on the same thing did anyone get that email from the uni about not worrying about low ranking haha.
So by letting more people pass, you're ensuring quality of education? The argument doesn't make sense :|

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
clairegirl said:
accg is horrible though... im studying for accg200 now and i want to stick a fork in my eye :(
What degree are you doin'? I thought you were a psychology or arts student or something.

And yes, I feel your pain, ACCG200 was a very, very annoying unit... all those job costings, process costing, variable costs, budgeted costs..... YUCK.

redruM said:
people HAVE to fail. in a normal canditure you'll have the not so bright/lazy people who should not get through the subject. its a filtering process which might seem like a scam but its objective is aligned with deserving students passing through the subject/degree.
I totally agree with this... the more Macquarie fail other people, the lower the supply of accountants when I graduate, the higher my salary. :p

And so what if Macquarie has an agenda to fail people? At the end of the day you can still pass every subject if you apply yourself. Plus, higher academic standards will hopefully translate into higher industry standards.

To the original poster: are you a SIBT student, or a Macquarie student?

If you're a SIBT student, remember that when you transfer to Macquarie your GPA will be reset, thus you get a fresh start... which was bad for me 'cuz my GPA was 3.3 when I left SIBT... all that hard work was wasted... *Sigh*.

Mmmm, in any case, you need to make a decision... best of luck with it.

*Luke hits ejection button, flies out of this thread, parachutes safely back into the forum, and lives happily ever after.*

Luke.

dracover

HSC
AsyLum said:
You keep referring to this but I'm quite sure they use the bell curve, while not officially stating it, otherwise we're in the same situation whereby you're passing 3,000+ students a year, it doesn't happen, its probably not as 'visible' because of their substantially larger demographic compared to ours.
ye i know they do a bell curve i'm fully aware of that. hence the problem. i donno wat u do but as far as my degree is concerned the uni marks relate to external external recognition. whilst if u did an exam through them it would be a nonscaled basis it is in uni. this effectively makes u repeat subjects that u PASS because u didnt rank high enough. this would not occur doing the test through institue or say at unsw. by all means make students repeat if they dont know their stuff but making them repeat even if they know the stuff??? i donno i find that a bit unfair.

AsyLum said:
Hmm?

That happens all the time, its there to make sure you have comprehension skills and you're able to apply your theories/concepts to something in the same area, but previously unseen. Try doing a 2.5 hour exam on 6 different philosophy readings which are 10 pages each.

Surely you can't expect the world to revolve around spoonfeeding you, particularly as a 3rd year subject where you're expected to perform as a professional/graduate afterwards. Not trying to pick on you, but stuff like this happens to everyone, its not just EFS, and its meant to happen.

So by letting more people pass, you're ensuring quality of education? The argument doesn't make sense :|

ok so if u did a subject get told theres a dozen 50 page articles ur expected to learn and be able to debate them. then in the exam they say ok so wat did john smith say about this critiqually analyse his comments...and john smith wasnt one of them. u can do it???

and wen did i say give out passes to everyone. i said i didnt like the sng system. the purpose of a university degree is to signal to potential employers of ur ability. hence a raw mark of some kind is sufficent imho. the sng makes people repeat subjects that they otherwise would not have to with no added benefit for a potential employer (like its already been discussed several times potential employers dont realli care wat u came and wat u got mostly they onli need to know you can do the stuff). i'm not a supporter of too many people are passing lets fail more or too few people passing fail more. if sng was actually done on a critieria basis i wouldnt have a problem unfortunately too often its not (if u go read the VCs blog on this one of the academics makes a statement on this as well) sng marks are allocated in advance really it'll just be fitting some preconcieved bell cure.

dracover

HSC
Luke! said:
I totally agree with this... the more Macquarie fail other people, the lower the supply of accountants when I graduate, the higher my salary. :p
sry to double post but too much effort of two replies in one post.

thats true but even if there more accountants u wouldnt be competing with those of a lower calibre then urself u would onli be competing with those on ur same level. hopefully u'll be graduating able to get a job in the big 4 earning well those of poor skill level wouldnt get near u anyways. all it does is forces lower lvl employers to go else where and it actually erodes ur market. this has already been happening in the actuarial market. have u noticed the drastic falls in actuarial marks? its largely due to the uni accepting more actuarial students in an attempt to boost no. y? theres too few actuaries and wats happening is that students of other degrees are filling in the roles. finance students, maths students etc are taking up positions traditionally reserved for actuaries but then employer start to realise these other graduate are just as good (really with the invent of very simple computer programs the maths in regards to actuary, finance, investment accounting etc is just a mouse click away) so even now wen theres been attempts to modernise the actuarial course i c people of all sorts of degrees and backgrounds in these jobs.not that ur comment affects me i'm not an accountant but having high fail rates is not good even for u.

Last edited:

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Luke! said:
What degree are you doin'? I thought you were a psychology or arts student or something.

And yes, I feel your pain, ACCG200 was a very, very annoying unit... all those job costings, process costing, variable costs, budgeted costs..... YUCK.

Luke.

I am all of that and more baby lol :p ... bba/arts-psche

stupid bba degree making accounting compulsory :(

X

xeuyrawp

dracover said:
god more maq annoying thing happened today i had a test that refered to an article that wasnt in our reading list and we were meant to write an essay on it. u know those 40-50 min long essays u do in econ finals ahhhh.
Hahaha. Yeah, you go to a fine institution like USyd or Yale, and they'd never do that!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
dracover said:
i donno wat u do but as far as my degree is concerned the uni marks relate to external external recognition. whilst if u did an exam through them it would be a nonscaled basis it is in uni. this effectively makes u repeat subjects that u PASS because u didnt rank high enough. this would not occur doing the test through institue or say at unsw. by all means make students repeat if they dont know their stuff but making them repeat even if they know the stuff??? i donno i find that a bit unfair.
(like its already been discussed several times potential employers dont realli care wat u came and wat u got mostly they onli need to know you can do the stuff)
I'm confused, people repeat stuff for employers but employers don't give a fuck about it?

You seem to have missed the point entirely, UNSW does make use of a bell curve, albeit they won't 'officially' state it, the marks are distributed accordingly in a way that they resemble one. Your marks may be 1-2 points away from the cut off, but that could be anywhere from 10-15 marks in reality, and as such could worsen rather than get better. It doesn't mean you'll have to repeat, if you are quite adamant that you are in the right, there are avenues to pursue these,

Re-read my post.

ok so if u did a subject get told theres a dozen 50 page articles ur expected to learn and be able to debate them. then in the exam they say ok so wat did john smith say about this critiqually analyse his comments...and john smith wasnt one of them. u can do it???
If it was in fact no mentioned anywhere and you were unable to access this, then yes it would be unfair. But is everyone complaining? Or was it in another section which you didn't read or were pointed to read from? Theres a marked difference between deception and misconception. If it was in fact not stated to be in the exam, surely EVERYONE in the subject would be complaining, right?

and wen did i say give out passes to everyone. i said i didnt like the sng system. the purpose of a university degree is to signal to potential employers of ur ability. hence a raw mark of some kind is sufficent imho. the sng makes people repeat subjects that they otherwise would not have to with no added benefit for a potential employer (like its already been discussed several times potential employers dont realli care wat u came and wat u got mostly they onli need to know you can do the stuff). i'm not a supporter of too many people are passing lets fail more or too few people passing fail more. if sng was actually done on a critieria basis i wouldnt have a problem unfortunately too often its not (if u go read the VCs blog on this one of the academics makes a statement on this as well) sng marks are allocated in advance really it'll just be fitting some preconcieved bell cure.
Marks are not allocated in advance, I think you really don't understand it too well. You are marked based on your performance against everyone else, against previous years, against the perceived 'difficulty' depending on other aspects. Its not something people threw together at a whim, its a highly complicated procedure and one which I don't claim to fully understand.

http://www.ling.mq.edu.au/support/process_grade.htm

Have a good read.

dracover

HSC
from the way i understand it unsw tells u wat ur raw actual mark is. its their other grading systems that gets scaled. if i require 65 for the external exemption then doesnt matter if unsw gives u a pass instead of a cr ur getting that exemption.

yes it is true that u may be 10-15 marks off so that means u shouldnt get the exemption anyway. who's to know. my quirk with the sng system is that u dont know i'd rather just know my actualy mark. the sng system in its design effectively make people repeat regardless of their actual knowledge.

extract from ur link:

"Your own assessment of your performance in the exam is not always the most objective or accurate. Markers have been selected as experts in their subject areas who can objectively assess your performance relative to that of your peers and against stated criteria. The pressure of the exam environment can sometimes mean that students don't always recall when they didn't fully answer all parts of the paper to the best of their ability. "

so they measure against other people and previous yrs. y do u need to do that? becuase someone can do 1+1 faster then me or a bit better then me does that mean i dont know how to do 1+1.

another extract

"Grading standards protect the value of your degree. Institutions which readily alter grades can develop a reputation for low standards. Consider what your lecturers have told you about the standards they are expecting. It is not generally helpful to compare your Macquarie University grades with grades received at another institution ? it is the Macquarie standards that now apply. Only academic considerations are taken into account when assigning grades; no other factors play a part unless special consideration has been granted. "

so effectively their saying they try to lower ur marks, force a certain % to fail to make the uni look good.

as far as mark allocation whilst exact numbers are not pre determined lecturers have a general guide as to how many they can have in each range based on previous yrs. i know people who work in the admin and they say sng spread for a particular course rarely ever change across yrs. the onli time they change is if the lecturer in charge changes (even then theres pressure to keep it the same) or the course fundamentals are changed.

yes it is true that sng may push people up which again is stupid y should u pass if u couldnt answer any questions fail the whole lot of them.

as far as my test is concerned we got a list about 100 papers 20 were compulsory 80 were extra readings. the examined question was not any of those 100 questions. and yes people are complaining. how often do u get 20 posts after a final exam. i mean for a subject with like around 150-200 students some who probably neva even read anything so wouldnt know. some who cant be bothered and some who may have taken it directly to the lecturer instead of webct, 10% of students within a few hrs of the test finising is a high no. i say.

generally i must say i think our disagreement is moreso with wat the university is there to do rather then any sort of marking system. thats a debate for another day i can see where ur coming from i just dont think a university is ther to do that (different basis of arguement so to speak).

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
dracover said:
from the way i understand it unsw tells u wat ur raw actual mark is. its their other grading systems that gets scaled. if i require 65 for the external exemption then doesnt matter if unsw gives u a pass instead of a cr ur getting that exemption.
How can they give you a mark of 65, and not give you a credit? From what I've found from my friends that go there, its exactly the same system as ours, you have bands, your marks given are scaled and you CANNOT be given a 65 and only a pass.

https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/assessment/GuideToUNSWGrades.html

As far as I can ascertain, the majority of people pass, and it progressively gets smaller as you get higher grades. So while they don't strictly apply the bell curve, it still follows a reduction in the higher fields, based on the selectivity of the tutors/conveners (a more personal if not subjective method).

Additionally, not everyone takes a 100 mark exam, in a perfect world everyone would and then we'd all be happy, but because they don't thats where scaling and the bell curve comes in. How do you adjudge people who got 50/100 versus someone who got 26/50? Its a way of putting everyone on a 'level' footing, and has more to do with keeping things clean and uncluttered rather than trying to do the shifty on kids.

the sng system in its design effectively make people repeat regardless of their actual knowledge.
No? Wtf. You're drawing conclusion C from A and skipping B :|

so they measure against other people and previous yrs. y do u need to do that? becuase someone can do 1+1 faster then me or a bit better then me does that mean i dont know how to do 1+1.
Because obviously in the real world, we're not judged against standards, or other people. No really? :|

so effectively their saying they try to lower ur marks, force a certain % to fail to make the uni look good.
They're saying that you can't and shouldn't compare your results to other institutions because they can have anywhere from different content, different teaching styles, a different focus, different methodology, and a range of other things. They're saying that they're trying to maintain a higher quality for our degrees, and by placing strict controls on who and who cannot pass based on a set criteria, they will fail people.

I read nowhere about forcing people to fail, or whatever.

as far as mark allocation whilst exact numbers are not pre determined lecturers have a general guide as to how many they can have in each range based on previous yrs. i know people who work in the admin and they say sng spread for a particular course rarely ever change across yrs. the onli time they change is if the lecturer in charge changes (even then theres pressure to keep it the same) or the course fundamentals are changed.
What does that have to do with your performance? Blaming others for not making a certain mark? Again I state, that if YOU believe that you have fulfilled the requirements for a higher mark, there are avenues to pursue which can and sometimes do lead to their changing. BUT blaming some sort of conspiracy with such a skewed perception of how things work isn't helping anyone. If you know how many people are going to be allocated certain marks, then make sure you tick all the boxes, if you were really that concerned about your marks, you'd have done more about it (with regards to challening them for it).

yes it is true that sng may push people up which again is stupid y should u pass if u couldnt answer any questions fail the whole lot of them.
Because of the perceived difficulty. Do you really think that HSC kids get 100 in all their subjects when they receive a 100 UAI? No, the process of scaling does NOTHING to change marks, but puts you in relation to the rest of your cohort. I think this is the biggest thing you have to get, scaling/bell curves are a way of DISTRIBUTION not a means by changing/altering marks or results. You are given a grade BASED on your position according to everyone else, and of the other factors relating to it.

What would getting a mark of 50 mean? Its meaningless if not put into perspective/context, and thats why they invented this system, to see how you compare not only with the people around you, but also with previous people. Welcome to the real world.

as far as my test is concerned we got a list about 100 papers 20 were compulsory 80 were extra readings. the examined question was not any of those 100 questions. and yes people are complaining. how often do u get 20 posts after a final exam. i mean for a subject with like around 150-200 students some who probably neva even read anything so wouldnt know. some who cant be bothered and some who may have taken it directly to the lecturer instead of webct, 10% of students within a few hrs of the test finising is a high no. i say.
10% of students? Thats not high, if it was so markedly shifty, it'd be in the 60%+. The point is its not, which tends to suggest it was there, but you may have misread/misinterpreted something or missed it completely. I'm playing with numbers, if something so glaringly dubious as that happened, surely there'd be a bigger uproar?

generally i must say i think our disagreement is moreso with wat the university is there to do rather then any sort of marking system. thats a debate for another day i can see where ur coming from i just dont think a university is ther to do that (different basis of arguement so to speak).
I disagree, we never mentioned what a university was meant to do, and I still haven't, there seems to be a misunderstanding as to what/how the system works.

Again I'll repeat, the bell curve system is a method of distribution, not of raw marking, you aren't allocated your marks using the bell curve, but markers will mark you, then look over the majority/distribution of the marks, and allocate people the SNGs based upon their position/raw marks in relation to everyone else.

dracover

HSC
as far as my exam was concerned i simply hope its neva happened 2 u and it neva will. ur theory is like saying theres 10k people marchin against global warming obviously that means about 20k -30k actually care about it hm... u dont have to believe me.

regarding the unsw thing i may be wrong confused with another uni or something but i'm aware a close friend who scored 86 but was awarded a distinction not just one guy either again could be another uni i'll check lata need to study.

i dont get wat u mean by comparing scores out of 50 and out of 100 if ur in the same course ur total will be the same regardless u might want to explain wat u mean more.

the last part of the discussion i say we have different views on wat the uni is for. i know u didnt specifically say wat u thought but it can be infered. i cant be bothered quoting but u say that in the real world we are compared against eachother and so at uni we should do that also. that is true. however my view of university is that and more. like highschool education its a way of learning and signaling to the next stage that u are able to handle it (e.g. to an employer ye sure tell them ur not as good as the next person doesnt mean u cant do it). u make the example of the hsc. yes ur uai is scaled but do u have to repeat a subject because someone did betta then u? does someone being betta then u mean u cant do it? does it mean u need to repeat it???? i'm not against ranking students but ranking students shouldnt involved in essence making them repeat subjects cause someone else could do it betta. wen u sit the hsc ur uai says ur not as good as this other guy but it doesnt say ur shit do it again.

working off the top of my heard i rem i needed stat 171 a cr as a pre requ for some other course dont rem wat. under sng by the scaled system ur effectively saying a certain % of students will have to repeat. i mean y accept students into ur course if ur gonna make them repeat in the first yr. i think society is betta off with those bottom few percentile students doing something else then wasting 1/2 a yr (maybe more cause theres more then one of these courses) doing something that they'll certainly repeat fail waste time howeva u like to put it.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
dracover said:
as far as my exam was concerned i simply hope its neva happened 2 u and it neva will. ur theory is like saying theres 10k people marchin against global warming obviously that means about 20k -30k actually care about it hm... u dont have to believe me.
It has happened to me before I've told you, and while it was unpleasant, I had a look over my notes and it was clear it was mentioned (if briefly and not flagged as the others were).

And no your analogy isn't right at all :| Like I said, if it was a significant screw-up on the lecturer's part, surely more people would be complaining? I can understand 20 people in say my classes since there are only 15 of us, but 20 people in a subject which I assume is in the 1000's seems quite small for a sample size. Thats what I'm trying to say.

regarding the unsw thing i may be wrong confused with another uni or something but i'm aware a close friend who scored 86 but was awarded a distinction not just one guy either again could be another uni i'll check lata need to study.
That is very weird if it did happen.

i dont get wat u mean by comparing scores out of 50 and out of 100 if ur in the same course ur total will be the same regardless u might want to explain wat u mean more.
Think back to the HSC with UAIs and whatnot. If I were to do Extension 2 Maths (4u) and score 40/50 and rank number 1/100, I would be getting 100 for my scaled results.

If I were to do Visual Arts and score 78/100 but rank 50th out of 100 I would most likely be getting a mark of 50.

Thats how scaling works, it doesn't give you extra marks per se, it just matches you so the distribution goes from the minimum to the maximum (0-100 for arguments sake).

If a range of scores for the top 10 for the 4u maths were to be 40, 39, 37, 35, 33, 32, 31, 30, 29, 22.

Then for arguments sake there were 100 people there, so the 40 would be scaled to 100, 39, to 99, 37 to 98....22 to 90, etc etc.

the last part of the discussion i say we have different views on wat the uni is for. i know u didnt specifically say wat u thought but it can be infered. i cant be bothered quoting but u say that in the real world we are compared against eachother and so at uni we should do that also. that is true. however my view of university is that and more. like highschool education its a way of learning and signaling to the next stage that u are able to handle it (e.g. to an employer ye sure tell them ur not as good as the next person doesnt mean u cant do it). u make the example of the hsc. yes ur uai is scaled but do u have to repeat a subject because someone did betta then u? does someone being betta then u mean u cant do it? does it mean u need to repeat it???? i'm not against ranking students but ranking students shouldnt involved in essence making them repeat subjects cause someone else could do it betta. wen u sit the hsc ur uai says ur not as good as this other guy but it doesnt say ur shit do it again.

working off the top of my heard i rem i needed stat 171 a cr as a pre requ for some other course dont rem wat. under sng by the scaled system ur effectively saying a certain % of students will have to repeat. i mean y accept students into ur course if ur gonna make them repeat in the first yr. i think society is betta off with those bottom few percentile students doing something else then wasting 1/2 a yr (maybe more cause theres more then one of these courses) doing something that they'll certainly repeat fail waste time howeva u like to put it.
Your example with the HSC is flawed. Lets take someone who gets 55 UAI compared to someone who gets 99 UAI, both want to do Law. The person with 55 UAI is obviously not eligible, but that person has the option of a) repeating and trying for a higher UAI b) quitting c) finding alternative routes. I think those are the exact same choices you have as a Uni student with a GPA requirement you have to fill. In both cases you know prior to the exam what you're aiming for, in both cases you have choices as to what you can do afterwards.

You can't let everyone pass, it'll devalue your degree and quality of your education, if you have strict controls on who passes and who fails, then you help protect against this, its just the way it is. Can you imagine how many International reta...err students you'd have on your hands who had no grasp of english, no communication skills, no idea, but because they passed a subject were now able to do harder units? Imagine being grouped with them for a semester and then realising they had no effing idea. (Ideally this situation wouldn't happen and usually it doesnt if such tough restrictions are set into place. And yes the cynic may say, the Uni just wants more money, but if the Uni were to pass the said students, they'd be blamed for being too lenient, so they can't win).

http://www.mq.edu.au/senate/rules/detailedguidelines.doc
http://www.mq.edu.au/senate/rules/Guidelines2003.doc

Two links for detailed explanations.

FIN310 Unit Outline said:
9. University Policy on Grading
The Academic Senate has a set of guidelines on the distribution of grades across a range from
fail to high distinction. Your final result will include one of these grades plus a standardized
numerical grade (SNG).
On occasion your raw mark for a unit (i.e., the total of your marks for each assessment item)
may not be the same as the SNG which you receive. Under the Senate guidelines, results may
be scaled to ensure that there is a degree of comparability across the university, and so that
students with similar performances compared with past students should achieve similar
results.
It is important that you realize that the policy does not require that a minimum number of
students be failed in any unit. In fact, it does something like the opposite, requiring examiners
to explain their actions if more than 20% of the students fail a unit.
The process of scaling does not change the order of marks among students. A student who
receives a higher raw mark than another student will also receive a higher final scaled mark.
Again, as much as it looks like it, I'm not trying to have a go at you mate, I'm going through the same things waiting for my GPA to go past 3.0 so I can do honours, yes I have been in exams where the tutor has missed telling us information which could've helped, and no I haven't had huge exams at the end. So please don't think its an attack on you, I think its invaluable for people to realise that the system is there for a reason and it isn't just to 'screw' people over.

Last edited:

dracover

HSC
i agree as far as u saying hsc u have a choice. i'm merely saying at maq u dont have a choice once ur in u get stuck. whilst the hsc u can go and do it again or select a course u are eligible in by effectivly not meeting pre requisits that subject u did was useless like in my example of stat171. sure u can transfer often that involves doing other subs u havent done and therefore increasing uni time.

i'm not saying u should not fail people i'm saying whether u fail or not should be dependent on ur ability not others ability. if the whole class cant do the subject then fail them all but under sng some will pass just because the class is stupid. if the whole class can do it then all should be passed (so if someone cant read a paper and write enlgish fail them).

my original understanding of wat sng was meant to achieve was to mark students based on a standard. i'm realli supportive of this approach it means that abilities are standardied across years students etc. howeva wats happening is that these standards are being determined by the students of that class. an intellegent bunch of students mean standards will get pushed up and vise versa. its just not working.

i still fail to c how ur analogy of 50 marks and 100 marks have to do with uni since everything is out of 100 its just maybe wat makes up that proportion is different. i'm pretty sure they scale ur final /100 mark and not each assessment individually.

for my test 20/150 ~ 200 students not 1000. i rem mentioning that at the start. actually its up to 30 now so its more like 20% and who knows will climb some more. and yes i checked all the notes and stuff it wasnt there. well i fink we can lay that one to rest not that it realli matters with sng and stuff everyone would have been disadvantaged and scaled according i suppose this is the onli plus side i c with sng.

and just finally i know ur not having a go at me. and i dont think the sng system is to screw people ova. i think it has a good basis but has changed in a way that merely is done for easier administration. if u score poorly in something they can just say oh its sng u cant look at raws (and since u dont know wat others score how do u know their wrong). much like i think y its difficult to access ur paper cause it just causes huge administrative issues. i mean it doesnt actually standardise marks across unis or yrs. if the top few % of students get a hd under sng wen u see a hd on their transcript it merely means u came in top % at that uni doesnt allow any sort of comparison across uni or years one uni could just have brighter kids. this is the same kinda problem with high schoolers and the states. y they one a standardised system cause a uai of 90 does not actually mean ur just as good as wateva the equivalent is in another state it just means u came in that same percentile for the individual states. one state could just be betta overall an 80 might be as good as a 90 in another state whose to know.

Last edited:

Tabris

HSC
abit off topic, but are u talking about the 311 exam? The Ghosh paper wasnt in the unit or any lectures buts it was hidden on e reserve, its a small 2-3 page article

MC was relatively easy but I had nfi how Allsop and Vines relates to the NRH and i coudlnt remember all the sacrifice ratios

Luckily Kuttner' and Debelle was ok...

back on topic

Although lots of students complain that standards are too high and failure rate are also too high, dont forget how bad it could have been when Peter Abelson complained that standards in Economics were too low and some academics were pressured to pass. Well, he left.....

Imagine if he had his way?

I was lucky he didnt take econ210, i would not have passed had he convened it.

Last edited:

dracover

HSC
lol i had him in his final yr lol i got a D and was like wtf how did i pull that off haha. the pain of that subject is like 0.o i rem him saying his course has like close to 60% fail rate but then again i dont realli think the test was that hard. its an example of how u realli should just fail more people if that was necessary too, anyways thats in the past.

and ye 311. its on e reserve is it? oh well cause i read a lot of the unmarked papers as well and i'm pretty sure it wasnt even an unmarked essay either way shit happens.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Just with the whole if you were on the pass line and then you were scaled to a fail just because everyone else happened to be better than you...I dunno about Macq but here at Sydney (well, at least in pharmacy for us), they say they cannot fail you if you have achieved the passing standard. So if you achieve the passing standard you are guaranteed minimum 50, and depending on your luck if there are not as many smart people above you you'll get more than 50 and if not you'll get 50 but you will not get 49. Every other person doing better than the pass line is then subjected to scaling and the bell curve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)