Facing unknown competition, tips appreciated! (1 Viewer)

mr_robato

HSC
Hay all.

I have a trial shift at an Indian restaurant near Parramatta [Western Sydney]. I had the interview today and got offered a trial shift sometime after or on Tuesday. It's a waitering position.

The complications:

A second candidate had his trial shift today, hence the competition. I obviously don't know this person, so have no clue as to what I am up against except that I can only do my best.

I got some exposure to customers at my previous job at an Oporto's branch where I had to change the bin and sweep-and-mop the dining room.

Any tips for someone with very limited customer experience? :)

Cheers
:read:

EDIT: just in case your wondering, I'll be on $11 an hour. Question: I'd be expecting some tips right? (the main customer bank would be Indian so I expect meager amount in tips lol)

Last edited:

debts

HSC
N/A
get a friend to come in during their shift and be thoroughly displeased with the competitor's service, making sure that the manager hears all about it

actually several just in case

Kiim2507

HSC
Smile
Be polite and friendly
Ask customers if theres anything you can help them with/Ensure all their needs are met
Try to suggest sell as many drinks as you can (esp alcohol if it's liscenced) (e.g can I get you another drink sir?)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
This is from my own experiences in an Indian restaurant.

Learn where things are: It makes it much easier on yourself if you can quickly navigate your way through the store

Be busy, or at least look busy: Always appear to be doing something constructive.

Take Initiative: If a customer leaves, clean their table, and set up a new one. If things need drying, then do it. Same with folding napkins.

Learn how tables are set: You should be able to just copy the other tables. Make sure you get it right.

Be prompt: If they call for you, go immediately.

Accept constructive criticism, and implement what you're told: You have to do this to survive. You won't last long if you can't do this.

Be careful: Don't spill things. Those hot meals can really hurt if they land on somebody.

Learn food names and appearances quickly: It will help you dramatically, and speed up your servive.

Most will do tips. However, this doesn't mean you'll get them. They may go to the kitchen staff, or straight to the owner. I was working on $10 an hour, with no tips. If you want, try and clear tables with a lot of people all putting in money. There will usually be good tips, which, if no one is watching, you can pocket. However, I wouldn't reccommend this on your first shift. Even after that, it's a bit dodgy.

mr_robato

HSC
get a friend to come in during their shift and be thoroughly displeased with the competitor's service, making sure that the manager hears all about it

actually several just in case

LOL NO.

Smile a bit. :)
Cheers. Smiling is a prerequisite.

Smile
Be polite and friendly
Ask customers if theres anything you can help them with/Ensure all their needs are met
Try to suggest sell as many drinks as you can (esp alcohol if it's liscenced) (e.g can I get you another drink sir?)

Hay Kim!

Been a while.

How are you? and thanks.

This is from my own experiences in an Indian restaurant.

Learn where things are: It makes it much easier on yourself if you can quickly navigate your way through the store

Be busy, or at least look busy: Always appear to be doing something constructive.

Take Initiative: If a customer leaves, clean their table, and set up a new one. If things need drying, then do it. Same with folding napkins.

Learn how tables are set: You should be able to just copy the other tables. Make sure you get it right.

Be prompt: If they call for you, go immediately.

Accept constructive criticism, and implement what you're told: You have to do this to survive. You won't last long if you can't do this.

Be careful: Don't spill things. Those hot meals can really hurt if they land on somebody.

Learn food names and appearances quickly: It will help you dramatically, and speed up your servive.

Most will do tips. However, this doesn't mean you'll get them. They may go to the kitchen staff, or straight to the owner. I was working on $10 an hour, with no tips. If you want, try and clear tables with a lot of people all putting in money. There will usually be good tips, which, if no one is watching, you can pocket. However, I wouldn't reccommend this on your first shift. Even after that, it's a bit dodgy.
Agreed.

Restaurants [whether fast food or gourmet] tend to be big on "keeping busy". Damn my ex-workplace was majorly up the ass about milking us [the employees] for everything we're worth (fair enough I suppose).

Thanks a ton. Are you "desi" [aka curry/Indian/Pak] too? :)

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Do you have any knowledge of Indian foods or spices? This could set you apart if you do. No need to stress out if you don't, but looking up popular terms could help (some people may need help with understanding the menu).

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Learn what Butter Chicken and Rogan Josh look like when served. They come up often.

mr_robato

HSC
Do you have any knowledge of Indian foods or spices? This could set you apart if you do. No need to stress out if you don't, but looking up popular terms could help (some people may need help with understanding the menu).

Hell I am Pakistani [essentially "curry" by ethnicity]!

Yeah, my plan is basically to keep cool, go with the flow, proactively of coarse.

Hey I'm good! Wbu?
Been really busy lately cos I'm going to America on wednesday for a month....so excited but so hectic trying to organise everything

Woaw, exciting.

Well I'm waiting on uni offers [which come out Wednesday evening].

Have fun. Stay safe. It'll be snowing in America :snowman: (depending on where your headed).

Learn what Butter Chicken and Rogan Josh look like when served. They come up often.

Done.

Am expecting a call from him today [Tuesday].

Woo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)