facebook and study, what do you think??? (1 Viewer)

annarh-saur

HSC
Uni Grad
+1, I don't use Facebook that much so it doesn't really bother me. But I MUST come on BOS everyday or otherwise I'll felt really weird. LOL. :spzz:
SAME! :) but however, i don't have fb, and most likely, never will. :p

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
There was actually a study done in Melbourne about office workers who used social networking sites throughout the day.
It turns out that the workers who used sites like facebook and youtube to wind down every so often (so like one video, or a quick look at FB) were 11% more efficient throughout the rest of their day. I saw it on news.com.au I'm pretty sure :S

i.e. Use it sparingly :p

mioumiou

HSC
There was actually a study done in Melbourne about office workers who used social networking sites throughout the day.
It turns out that the workers who used sites like facebook and youtube to wind down every so often (so like one video, or a quick look at FB) were 11% more efficient throughout the rest of their day. I saw it on news.com.au I'm pretty sure :S

i.e. Use it sparingly :p
Thanks for the advice, cuz I've found that the internet is very distracting. The computer is just in FRONT of me, and I've tried to reduced the amount of time that I've spend on the internet, but it's really hard. Not much improvement. I've tried to move to other tables and studies, but I got used to just sit in front of the computer. How can I change this bad habit? :uhoh:

kounato

HSC
Thanks for the advice, cuz I've found that the internet is very distracting. The computer is just in FRONT of me, and I've tried to reduced the amount of time that I've spend on the internet, but it's really hard. Not much improvement. I've tried to move to other tables and studies, but I got used to just sit in front of the computer. How can I change this bad habit? :uhoh:
I presume your computer is in your room so don't turn in on when you are doing homework. This may sound simple but it will really help, unless of course you need the internet for homework :rolleyes:
But yeah, try to only turn it on when you finished ALL homework for the day and for study notes, try to hand write them so you don't use the computer :)

The most procrastinating on the internet normally happens when your meant to be doing assessments :haha:

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
Maybe try disconnecting the modem until you're finished with everything?

mioumiou

HSC
I presume your computer is in your room so don't turn in on when you are doing homework. This may sound simple but it will really help, unless of course you need the internet for homework :rolleyes:
But yeah, try to only turn it on when you finished ALL homework for the day and for study notes, try to hand write them so you don't use the computer :)

The most procrastinating on the internet normally happens when your meant to be doing assessments :haha:
Maybe try disconnecting the modem until you're finished with everything?
Thanks a lot guys, btw, i always hand write my own work, simply because my eyes can get really sore if I kept starring at the screen. :cry:

I'm trying very hard not to turn it on sometimes, I just MOVE to another spot when I think i don't really need to use the computer at all on that day. But still.... I'm trying very hard there. :p

Anyway, once again, thanks for all of your advice!!

K

Kozak92

You're in prelim. Do as much procastination as you want right now cause no matter how high your marks are, it all gets reset in year 12.

You'd be surprised to see how many people you thought were stupid bludgers in year 11 are top notch students in year 12.

I deactivated my facebook for year 12 only cause I couldn't control my habits. It was the only way :)

mioumiou

HSC
You're in prelim. Do as much procastination as you want right now cause no matter how high your marks are, it all gets reset in year 12.

You'd be surprised to see how many people you thought were stupid bludgers in year 11 are top notch students in year 12.

I deactivated my facebook for year 12 only cause I couldn't control my habits. It was the only way :)
But at least you have to build SOME good habits in case you're addicted to stuff like Facebook, trust me, it's really hard to maintain them. :rolleyes:

ilikebeeef

HSC
But at least you have to build SOME good habits in case you're addicted to stuff like Facebook, trust me, it's really hard to maintain them. :rolleyes:
+1. Students should minimise trauma in Year 12. So if you're planning to go through any major study habit changes, you might as well do it in Year 11.

Raihana92

HSC
When i was on facebook start of year 12-all my marks dropped massively and i couldnt understand why-i thought i was sitting in the study room for so long missing out on all events how can i still be going bad? untill i deactivated facebook i found i had MUCH MORE time for work-i could concentrate better my marks skyrocketed-all my ranks went up to the top 10 in the school (our school had 300 year 12 kids) and i had more time to have dinner and sit with family. if you ask me it saved my Atar-i had no facebook from june to november-best decision of my life.
dont try to deny it like i did-Facebook will have a BAD impact upon ur Atar-espectially during formal time when all pictures go up

sydchick

HSC
N/A
Minimal number of times = 0.
You seem to have the idea in your head where the HSC is the most important things in our lives right now. Like, we come home and just study or do homework.

But having a social life is equally important as getting an good education and it is very easy to do both.

Most high school kids love Facebook and probably aren't willing to change their habits due to increased workload. We work around it. It is do-able.

And besides, it is year eleven. You can bludge. Just hand in assessments and you'll be fine. Don't stress over the little things.

ilikebeeef

HSC
You seem to have the idea in your head where the HSC is the most important things in our lives right now. Like, we come home and just study or do homework.
FYI, I don't study/do homework 24/7. I'm just saying that it's better to quit Facebook rather than to prolong the Facebooking into Year 12, where you may have to take the HSC a bit more seriously AND have to suffer the trauma of quitting at the same time. A bit like quitting cigarettes cold turkey means that you'll be healthier sooner. I am merely a former Facebook addict addressing some of the things I learnt during Year 11 to Year 11 Facebook addicts.

But having a social life is equally important as getting an good education and it is very easy to do both.
Define "getting a good education". There is such a thing as having a social life without Facebook. Think of the old times when there was no Facebook.

Most high school kids love Facebook and probably aren't willing to change their habits due to increased workload. We work around it. It is do-able.
1. High school kids who take the HSC seriously enough do.
2. Not everyone finds it doable especially if they are addicted to Facebook.

And besides, it is year eleven. You can bludge. Just hand in assessments and you'll be fine. Don't stress over the little things.
When your marks are going down due to too much time spent on Facebook, it's not a small issue anymore.

Last edited:

sydchick

HSC
N/A
Firstly, your posts seem directed at 11ers, handing down information about the oh-so-scary HSC and the focus towards it. Sure, be focused. But have BALANCE. You are only sixteen/seventeen once. No one is going to have a good life if they lack social skills.

Getting a good education - I don't mean attending James Ruse and studying five hours a day. I mean paying attention in class and doing assessments, asking questions and not being a complete and utter dickhead.

1. High school kids shouldn't be taking anything too seriously. And if they are, going on Facebook may be a GOOD thing for them. Relief from stress and such.

2. Facebook addicts need to get off the internet and get a life.

When your marks are going down due to Facebook then of course it isn't a small issue.

I'm just saying: you need balance. Facebook is a form of that balance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)