Expectations? (1 Viewer)

chantellet

HSC
My parents don't conciously put pressure on me but they've always just expected me to do well and try hard because my older brother dropped out of school. So yeah there is kinda that expectation for me to do well, but more than anyone else I put the pressure on myself because I know what I'm capable of. I don't think I could stand it if my parents were full on pressuring me to study all the time, yr 12 is stressful enough as it is - so my sympathy goes out to those under extreme pressure to do well and I hope you achieve what YOU want to achieve as well as what your parents want :) Good luck

Skeeta

HSC
ive always been "up there" at school. although theres always been at least one better.
my parents are supportive of me and they will be proud just for me finishing school.
this is gonna sound sily but deep down i know that they are actually expecting me to get somewhere between 85-100. they dont say it and they think im "the smartest girl in the world"

god parents can be dellusional

they watch the news and know how hard it is to be doing the hsc but when you are "daddy's little princess" you can do anything right?? pffft
its not pressure that they are putting on me directly but i know in the past i have always exceeded their expectations and im sure they expect me to do it again

argggh

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Skillo said:
Yeah, Em did the VCE. But still, if I try and tell her that the HSC is harder than the VCE she goes nuts. Bloody older sisters... :)

One day, when I am working on some crappy current affairs show... well, like A Current Affair... I will do an in depth study to prove that the HSC is harder than the VCE!!!! Just you wait and see!!!!! It needs to be scientifically proven, for the sake of us from the border!!

lol and no, I am not bitter about Vic friends getting similar UAI without as much work or suffering.......

kelboo

HSC
DaRanjed said:
I'm my own worst enemy. I'm trying to do my best to show myself what I can do.

Me too, although to my dad it is the end of the world if "I don't get into Uni" but I don't know what course or what institution he means so MEH !!

I just think if I don't get over 90 I will be bitterly disappointed in myself as a person, because I know that mark is achievable for me. I believe I deserve at least that, so if I don't make it there, I'll probs be very angry for a while.

Hmmmmm is all I can say. I don't want to have any expectations as they are always more than what you get, but I can't make myself believe I'm gonna get a raw mark of 49. *sigh*

kelboo

HSC
nessie_lee said:
Yeh i just want a uai to comfotably get into uni..... or even scrap into uni!... My mum doesn't have any expectations, she doesn't even know what a UAI is... let alone cares what i get!. I have pretty big expectations on myself, but i'm not going to set myself up for disappointment.. I'll be happy with about 83-85

that is both very sweet and down-to-earth... I wish I was more like u hun!!!

Groagy

HSC
I think there's a kind of unspoken pressure in my family. My parent's never overtly say anything tp put pressure on me but I've always done well and my sister got a UAI in the high 90s so I think the same is expected of me. At school I usually get compared to her as well.

Amongst my aunts, uncles and grandparents it's much worse. We had a family get-together during the holidays and every single one of them said pretty much the same thing: "You'll be alright, you'll breeze through them". It got to the point where I felt like kneecapping the next person to say it.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i kinda have these unspoken expectations.

but they arent from parents, it's from all my otha friends. every1 @ my school expects me 2 get ova 90 because i was dux and stuff.....i dunno if i will.

so. yeah, gonna be really embarassed if i dont

crazy_old_jwg

HSC
yeah, at my school we keep getting told that we'll "all get over 90" which is not cool - pressure there doesnt help. My parents do the "we dont care what you get coz we know u work hard" which is bull and i know they'll be disappionted is i get below 80 coz my sis got 81 point something and they think im smarter than her. in reality tho, i just put heaps of pressure on myself.

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
eeep, damn i feel sorry for u guys :p although, maybeh if there was pressure on me i wudda done alot better! my mum thinks i have 'potential' but im too lazy, lol she sed shes not gunna let what happened to me happen to my sister .... haha ill be looking forward to seeing what happens there, cus so far she seems exactly like i was (caring more about the sky and stuff then school :))

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Paroissien said:
I put more pressure on myself, and anything else around me does.
And these is just something about a 9 as the first number that far exceeds all others, except a 1 of course.
I totally understand the 9 thing. People tell me that hey, getting high 80s won't really be that different...but I'm obsessing over the nine!!! Hhehehehehehehe.

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
Skillo said:
Yeah, Em did the VCE. But still, if I try and tell her that the HSC is harder than the VCE she goes nuts. Bloody older sisters... :)

I hope I get what I want. But yeah, its a bit of a poo having pressure ain't it ppls... :)
How would you figure the HSC is harder than the VCE? Theres a reason that our ENTER is equivalent to your UAI.

hsc_dysentery

HSC
well, for me,, i think i'm pressuring myself...
i actually dont know what kinda marks u have to get to achieve what kinda uai...
i really worked hard this year and i feel like i probably go and kill myself if i dont get over 90s..
i try to lower my expectation but i just cant let go of this uni course i want to do so bad.
i'm just going crazy arrrhhh~!
what should i do? what should i do?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
for me i am the only person putting pressure on myself (well its the only pressure i pay attention to or react to). my grandparents really want me to do weel and unknowingly expect and pressure me to get 98+ (which is my personal goal anyway). i was never one to take pressure from othe people. if i was offered money or told i would have money taken off my pocket money if i dont clean my room it would never make mo do it. if i wanted to do something i would. its both a good and bad quality i have but i am less that way now though

alien

HSC
my brother got below 50 for his uai last year. so my parents would basically cheer no matter what i get. my dad's really slack though, i got 81% for my 2 unit maths trial and he told me off for missing out on 19%! and he got 251 for his hsc! out of 500!

alien

HSC
lukebennett said:
for me i am the only person putting pressure on myself (well its the only pressure i pay attention to or react to). my grandparents really want me to do weel and unknowingly expect and pressure me to get 98+ (which is my personal goal anyway). i was never one to take pressure from othe people. if i was offered money or told i would have money taken off my pocket money if i dont clean my room it would never make mo do it. if i wanted to do something i would. its both a good and bad quality i have but i am less that way now though
you're putting 98 as your goal? that's huge! where did you go? good luck!

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
Im looking for an 88 but I really doubt Ill get it. My 8th..and last preference only requires a 70 but I sorta dont wanna get that because that means that Ill have to move and I dont really want to unless I have to... hence the last preference. Id be happy with an 81.05 to get my 2nd prefrence or an 86.05 for my 3rd. But I guess as long as I get one of my prefrences Im happy. Sigh...88.. so unreachable.

MasterP

Come to Daddy
HSC
I'm the classic underachiever. Everyone since day one thought I was bright, but lacked the incentive to reach my potential. Over time I think everyone got used to it, and the funny thing is, my parents don't think I'll get above 90. My Father especially keeps preparing me for getting below 85 or even 80.

I'm putting pressure on myself to get above 90, just to show everyone how wrong they are. The only problem is, I kinda screwed myself with my HSC choices, and this is going to make it harder.

But I'll do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)