EXCEL STUDY BOOKS - are they good? (1 Viewer)

alphophil

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I recently got a Dymocks book voucher for Christmas and was thinking about buying the Excel Study Guides for the HSC with the voucher. Has anyone who has done the HSC used these to help them study? Are they worthwhile or a waste of time and money?

Also are these guides pretty basic or do they thoroughly cover the content? I hoping to get a mark in the 90's, would these books be suitable for me or not?

Thank you for your help :)

Jaymay

HSC
Not really, i didn't use them, nor did mates.

Invest in the success one books, (or other exam books alike) and do as many exams as possible :p

Good luck :)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
What subject? The new version for Chemistry and Biology is actually quite good.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
An absolutely no-go in terms of using them for actual content, but I suppose that its simplistic yet clear format allows students to get a good idea of how to direct and co-ordinate their study of the various subjects during the HSC.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
I actually find them quite helpful! The chemistry one is a real life saver for outcomes which a bit challenging. It also takes you through questions etc. The maths one is horrible though; to me it's a bit too easy and isn't challenging enough. The best thing to do is skim through the excel books for your subjects and see if they're going to be of any use to you.

HSC
Uni Grad
There is a Japanese one and I as skimming through the book and it's pretty good, coming from a Japanese POV with all the practice questions for all sections of the exam & they divided up with the 3 topics in the syllabus. My sister who graduated in 2005 and got the UAI (back then before ATAR) of 96.3 saying it helped her quite a bit through the HSC. It's really based on the person to be fairly honest.

thisiswar

HSC
they're good for science as they have info under each dot point coz some textbooks dont cover specific dot points enough. I wouldnt recommend them for english. You're better off with Top Notes. And like someone said, buy past papers :D

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
They're all written by different people. What sub specifically?

For example the eco one sticks to the syllabus too much and is very brief. However, the phys one has much more detail.

avro

HSC
Despite what others have said, I have the Excel Advanced English book by Lewis and Collins and I find it really helpful. Good summaries, and the belonging section links each text to the concept of belonging really well. Have a look and see if it would benefit you.

alphophil

HSC
N/A
Alright thanks for the replies :)
I do Economics, 4U English, 2U Religion, Legal Studies and Ancient History. Yesterday I bought the Excel book for Romulus, My Father so I suppose I'll check it out thoroughly before deciding to buy anymore.

Kelsey2

HSC
As some one who did their hsc last year and owned all the excel HSC books for my subjects, heres my advice

If you are lost, struggling, dont know much about the subject Get the book, But if you are going ok then DONT buy it as its a waste of $

I would only buy it if you are getting <60% in the subject as they are really simple and not meant for the top students.

erespall

Pirate Lord.. Arrr
HSC
The cambridge Checkpoints one isnt too shabby for eco and legal, i also had em for modern and engrish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)