Ex-Marine kills thugs! =D (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
No. Terrorists are only those who use "terror" as a weapon to achieve a political/ideological goal.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
How did a topic about an ex-marine pwning thugs turn into another bullshit 'speeding' topic? Still don't think 'speeding' should be on a cop's priority list. Speeding increases the chances of increasing the harm done in a crash but I maintain that if a crash is going to happen, it's going to happen regardless what speed they are travelling. In fact I'm going to stand by the idea that a sudden burst of speed, a twist of the steering wheel has a likely chance of SAVING someone's life, if they reacted properly to the situation. The longer the period to stay in a potentially life threatening situation the more likely you are to get killed. Dodge, evade and continue driving as if nothing happened. Don't make something out of nothing.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Comrade nathan said:
So Osama and petty theives are in the same class of crime?
They are both willing to take lives of innocent people for monetary gain/self satisfaction.

So, Yes.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
@dhj

They're using 'terror' to achieve monetary goals. Whassurpointtt?

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
what971 said:
@dhj

This is not really worth arguing about, just a definition. I think if you look "terrorist" up in the dictionary, you'll find that one of the proviso is that the objective needs to be political/ideological or similar.

I think Comrade_Nathan is making the point that the "terrorist" label in this context is simply used to sensationalise the crime.

Last edited:

Comrade nathan

HSC
what971 said:
@dhj

The theif isn't using terror. S/He may produce terror, but the aim is to steal not scare the person into submission.

Jiga

Safe speeding? That is absolutely absurd. Although noone may be in sight on the road, the unpredictability of other variables increases the risk; variables that you have absolutely no control over. It's not always vehicular control that is the concern, but rather the ability to react to changes in road conditions..
The 40km/h school zones are the perfect example of uncontrollable, condition variables, and the huge ramifications that slightly higher speeds can have upon reaction times, stopping distances and the like..
Its not absurd at all. Eg I speed often on one stretch of road in particular that I am very familiar with, its a 3 lane road with a set speed limit of 70km/h, I usually go around 85km/h.... and so does everyone else. Its not a residential area so the chances of someone being hit is very minimal. And in relation to an incident with another car, well its not only about stopping distance but how you react, if you over-correct at any speed you are going to lose control etc... speed does play a role but at the end of the day its a minor one in comparison to your driving skill which is far more important.

Cars do not kill if people drive safely, which includes driving the legal limit. There are speed limits for a reason. Some dude didn't just wake up one day and decide to put a whole bunch of signs in the ground to tell people how fast they can drive just for shits.
You have never sped in your life or ever thought that a roads limit was to low? I know I have on many occasions.

This has been a contentious comparison... The main difference lies with the level of testing and the quality of driving between Europe and in comparison to both the USA and Australia. For instance, the German written tests are an immense test of needed knowledge, tests are taken on city roads, country roads, autobahns and at night before qualification.
I fail to see how theory and other little tests is going to help when you have an incident at high speeds. Its about HOW you react, which unless their program incorporates something like defensive driving etc i doubt they would be taught. The real reason why they have less is because their roads are of a better quality and are designed to take higher speeds (Wider lanes, slighter bends, smoother roads etc)

the chances of increasing the harm done in a crash but I maintain that if a crash is going to happen, it's going to happen regardless what speed they are travelling. In fact I'm going to stand by the idea that a sudden burst of speed, a twist of the steering wheel has a likely chance of SAVING someone's life, if they reacted properly to the situation
EXACTLY!! In minor incidents like hitting someone up the arse it doent help as stopping distance is increased... but in the sought of crashes that result in fatalities, its often not due to speed, but due to the driver failing to react properly in an emergency situation..... over-correcting, swerving onto the wrong side of the road etc.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
EXACTLY!! In minor incidents like hitting someone up the arse it doent help as stopping distance is increased... but in the sought of crashes that result in fatalities, its often not due to speed, but due to the driver failing to react properly in an emergency situation..... over-correcting, swerving onto the wrong side of the road etc.
And speeding greatly reduces your reaction time, whilst at the same time increasing the forces of impact...over-corecting, swerving and the like are all exacerbated when a person is travelling at higher speeds..

Jiga

And speeding greatly reduces your reaction time, whilst at the same time increasing the forces of impact...over-corecting, swerving and the like are all exacerbated when a person is travelling at higher speeds..
Yes true but in alot of cases.... people over-correct to an extent that the extra 10km/h over the limit doest matter because even at the limit they would lose control and swerving onto the wrong side of the road isnt affected at all... its just like a reflex action where people pull to the right instead of the left (which your meant to)

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
Yes true but in alot of cases.... people over-correct to an extent that the extra 10km/h over the limit doest matter because even at the limit they would lose control and swerving onto the wrong side of the road isnt affected at all... its just like a reflex action where people pull to the right instead of the left (which your meant to)
This is but one of several gross over generalisations you have used to support a very weak argument:
1) I assume you have some form of solid data to support the claim that in most cases people over correct to an extent that the fact they are speeding is irrelevant.

2) I assume you also have similar data to support your claim that in most fatal crashes the fault lies not in speeding but in a failure to react 'correctly'.

3) Again, i assume you also have reasonable evidence to support your claim that non-residential roads somehow decrease the risk of accidents occurring.

However, if you don't (which i assume is highly likely) you'll forgive me if i don't find your argument valid in any way.
If you have FACTS to put forward then i would be quite happy to discuss them but until such time dont expect me to take your arguments for 'safe speeding' very seriously...

Jiga

This is but one of several gross over generalisations you have used to support a very weak argument:
1) I assume you have some form of solid data to support the claim that in most cases people over correct to an extent that the fact they are speeding is irrelevant.

2) I assume you also have similar data to support your claim that in most fatal crashes the fault lies not in speeding but in a failure to react 'correctly'.

3) Again, i assume you also have reasonable evidence to support your claim that non-residential roads somehow decrease the risk of accidents occurring.

However, if you don't (which i assume is highly likely) you'll forgive me if i don't find your argument valid in any way.
If you have FACTS to put forward then i would be quite happy to discuss them but until such time dont expect me to take your arguments for 'safe speeding' very seriously...
Fuck its a bored of studies forum... not a court or whateva. You dont have to believe what I say, but if you have any idea about this issue you would realise that what Im saying is for the most part quite correct.

I will show one thing though, took me about 10seconds to google it up, I couldnt be bothered finding more stats but Im quite sure I could find alot more evidence proving my point.

Take it or leave it.

ice_wind

HSC
why doenst anyone write about the war in Congo and Somalia? they're by far worse than marines in iraq...i mean it's when government soldiers actually go around raping and torturing their own people...

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Honda Accords are FWD? or RWD? I can't picture that event happening unless it was raining or snowing. The conditions in Denver, Colorado would suggest snow or melted snow. How the hell did he swerve like that? Maybe he had horrible tires or something cause that's just crazy.

EDIT: It said November so it should in high probability be snowy or similar conditions. See how speed is only 9 out of 24 crashes? Not TOO significant.

Jiga

I think they are FWD... its still possible to swerve like that though, he would have been travelling at high speeds cos its a highway I think and its a case of over-correcting which is possible in any conditions with FWD or RWD... although yeah snow would make it alot worse. Dunno why the person tried to make the exist though after passing it at high speed.... just crazy, seems like he has no idea how his car controls because their is no way you would pull off that turn.

pottsy44

HSC
transcendent said:
Honda Accords are FWD? or RWD? I can't picture that event happening unless it was raining or snowing. The conditions in Denver, Colorado would suggest snow or melted snow. How the hell did he swerve like that? Maybe he had horrible tires or something cause that's just crazy.

EDIT: It said November so it should in high probability be snowy or similar conditions. See how speed is only 9 out of 24 crashes? Not TOO significant.
The level of grip of a bitum surface to a concrete surface are extremely different a bitum surface has a higher level of grip to that of concrete and the concrete surface was also dirty, hence meaning any sudden turns can result in over correcting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)