• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Euthanasia (1 Viewer)

Should euthanasia be legalised in Australia?

• No it shouldn't

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • Yes it should

Votes: 42 70.0%

• Total voters

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
bigboyjames said:
this shouldn't be an atheist perspective, Abrahamic religions perspective, Hindu perspective...or any religion perspective...... its a fucking common sense perspective, which seems to me you fucking lack.

edit: how can you claim the atheist card and "we only have one life"..... are you now stating that people of other religions actually DO have a second life? its only faith based that people actually believe in heaven. not factual, therefore this argument doesn't stand on 2 legs.
I'm not sure I understand you, at least I'm sure you have misunderstood me. You had implied that religious people would be against it because the bible says no, I said that atheists could also be against it for the above reason.

Has that cleared it up?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
I'd want to know when and why assisted suicide would be considered an option....or would it be possible whenever and whyever a person wanted.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Euthanasia supported by a right to 'free choice' is wrong imho. Autonomy is really a myth, a person is a person through their interpersonal relationships and their history (+genes). This idea that we could set up a framework for euthanasia which would allow autonomous decisions to be made seems especially to be made in error. Choosing between life and death is a hard task, made even harder often by the circumstances someone is in when they need to make such a choice. The setting of most decisions regarding whether to euthanise is not one which would seem ideal for autonomous decision making. Lastly I do believe that often palative care is theoretically available for many 'sufferers' who wish to end their life, however due to lack of funds for their local hospitals or what not they do not have access to such care and instead then are left with few alternatives but euthanasia.

I do believe that people in great pain, who suffer dearly and for whom there is little/no chance of respite nor any possible pallative care do deserve the right to die, this decision should be made ultimately by a medical professional at the bequest of the person whom may desire to die.

jazzbaby

HSC
im for voluntary euthanasia
like the person should be in the right state of mind when they make the decision but if they are just nearing their death or having a shit day and they are like kill meeeee then no.

its a really tough issue though

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Enteebee1 said:
Euthanasia supported by a right to 'free choice' is wrong imho. Autonomy is really a myth, a person is a person through their interpersonal relationships and their history (+genes). This idea that we could set up a framework for euthanasia which would allow autonomous decisions to be made seems especially to be made in error. Choosing between life and death is a hard task, made even harder often by the circumstances someone is in when they need to make such a choice. The setting of most decisions regarding whether to euthanise is not one which would seem ideal for autonomous decision making. Lastly I do believe that often palative care is theoretically available for many 'sufferers' who wish to end their life, however due to lack of funds for their local hospitals or what not they do not have access to such care and instead then are left with few alternatives but euthanasia.

I do believe that people in great pain, who suffer dearly and for whom there is little/no chance of respite nor any possible pallative care do deserve the right to die, this decision should be made ultimately by a medical professional at the bequest of the person whom may desire to die.
The 'myth' of autonomy does society rather well in our capitalist society.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Enteebee said:
The 'myth' of autonomy does society rather well in our capitalist society.
I would apply the same critique to the free market, people get hurt in the free market, people make bad decisions, some people end up worse off than they could have been had the government intervened. People aren't on an equal footing, some people start off poorer than others due to the inheritence of their parents wealth, some people are not born physically equal. Our society is far from capitalistic, we attempt to rectify the problems of the myth of autonomy, the places where it doesn't work because we truly aren't autonomous. In the same way we would need to attempt to rectify the problems a myth of autonomy gives supporters of euthanasia however I cannot see an adequate method to do so given the seriousness of what is at stake.

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
u-borat said:
people should be allowed to make their own decisions as to whether to live or die. imo.
Thats assuming the person is intelligent enough to make their own decision. Its also a problem with democracy btw but its still way better than communism and that other stuff like the fishermans party lol.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
imo i think that it all depends on the situation that the person is in.

I am against giving someone something to kill them to end there pain.
I am for turning off the life support if that is all that is keeping them alive and there is absolutly no chance for recovery if it was to remain on.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I think euthanasia is necessary in some extreme situations. I would prefer dying to living like a zombie in a despicable pain and suffering.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
emytaylor164 said:

I am for turning off the life support if that is all that is keeping them alive and there is absolutly no chance for recovery if it was to remain on.
Ye of liddle faif

hked

HSC
if people want to die, let them, i myself dont want to live when i kno i have cancer eating away my organs

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Enteebee said:
I don't think I should need to justify the importance of living, it is something that I'd say seems innate to human beings. Like I said, death seems to always be an 'evil' though it can occasionally be the lesser of two evils. I mean, why do you think 'free agency' is so sacred?
You are a shithouse nihilist.

Free agency is everything. I'd rather be dead thsn to be deprived of agency.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
emytaylor164 said:

But Em , what if it is agonising , terrible pain?
And life support , ok....well ...Medicine is all that keeps alot of people alive...if they stop taking it is that wrong? When doing so means they will die?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I don't want to draw lines, because moral lines are made to be blurry and crossable.

So I'll say I support euthanasia generally. If you've got a terminal illness and you're ready to die, who am I to say you're not?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Graney said:
You are a shithouse nihilist.

Free agency is everything. I'd rather be dead thsn to be deprived of agency.
How do you get 'deprived of free agency'? How would you define the 'free agent' ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)