Eugenics/Intellectual Discrimination (1 Viewer)

Intellectual Eugenics?

• Total voters

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
black_kat_meow said:
Ahhh, soz, I thought it said "was A little different".

6 hours of exams have fried my brain...
Bio and Legal i see...
How'd you go?

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
moll. said:
Bio and Legal i see...
How'd you go?
Alright, I guess. I think I got lucky with the questions... Don't know how well I worded my answers though... Ah well, can forget about Legal now, yay!

studentcheese

HSC
Advantages: Produce another Einstein - More discoveries for mankind

Disadvantages: Discriminative to those who are dumb - Society places more emphasis on intelligence (sure, everyone complains about HSC)

lionking1191

HSC
midifile said:
I say give the idiots [guys] vasectomies
several US states did give mentally ill people vasectomies a few decades ago.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
I'm still not sure....

Eugenics and intellectual discrimination sound great in theory, but its just not... right, if thats how one can put it. Sure, it would be great if we could get all the 'dumb' people out of the way, but who are we to decide who is better than the other?

And then we'd need to draw the line between who is 'intelligent' and who isn't. What types of intelligence would we need to look at? What means would we have of measuring them? Would these means be accurate enough?

I wonder if there ever will be a straight answer to any of these questions...

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
squeenie said:
I'm still not sure....

Eugenics and intellectual discrimination sound great in theory, but its just not... right, if thats how one can put it. Sure, it would be great if we could get all the 'dumb' people out of the way, but who are we to decide who is better than the other?

And then we'd need to draw the line between who is 'intelligent' and who isn't. What types of intelligence would we need to look at? What means would we have of measuring them? Would these means be accurate enough?

I wonder if there ever will be a straight answer to any of these questions...
A good place to start would be with the gaols. They're all banned from having kids.

Then to the civil courts. Stupid lawsuit brought against someone for your own stupidity? No kids for you!

Then maybe onwards to Centrelink. Trying to get welfare to feed your drug habit? Bye bye kiddliwinks!

jacobkhoury

HSC
N/A
This was actually my PIP topic. "Should human choice be marginalised if the eventual result is of a disadvantage to society"

lala2

Banned
HSC
If we just removed the baby bonus and the family tax benefit or whatever it is that you get extra money for a third or subsequent child, these would be good deterrents to people having children for the sake of the money, implying a lower income and therefore an according intelligence.

lolokay

HSC
the ethical/moral thing to do would be to take the necessary action to ensure society does not deteriorate, imo
(not making any claims as to what exactly should be done)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
metalheaven said:
Ummm...

I rest my case...
You make a valid point.
But still, you can't plan on random genetic mutations.

lolokay

HSC
imo, don't charge people for having kids.
maybe take away the baby bonus or something, except for people who actually are contributing to society and would need the financial help
policies that reward the good rather than charging the bad are probably more likely to work

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
lolokay said:
imo, don't charge people for having kids.
maybe take away the baby bonus or something, except for people who actually are contributing to society and would need the financial help
policies that reward the good rather than charging the bad are probably more likely to work
Pretty sure our justice system works by charging the bad.

lolokay

HSC
I mean in this situation - like, charging someone for having a baby. probably didn't come out how I meant

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
lolokay said:
I mean in this situation - like, charging someone for having a baby. probably didn't come out how I meant
No.
It didn't.
But i get what you mean.
And i'm an economics student, so i tend to see the whole world in terms of opportunity cost, so by placing a tax on stupid babies it makes them less desirable etc.
It also solves market failure, for not taking into account the social cost of raising a stupid baby.
:D

metalheaven

HSC
moll. said:
You make a valid point.
But still, you can't plan on random genetic mutations.
I don't think it's entirely random. Surely we wouldn't want this man to breed any more:
I bring you exhibit B:

I think these two examples alone are enough to suggest that we shouldn't rely on the assumption that rich people make smarter children.

Last edited:
HSC
moll. said:
No.
It didn't.
But i get what you mean.
And i'm an economics student, so i tend to see the whole world in terms of opportunity cost, so by placing a tax on stupid babies it makes them less desirable etc.
It also solves market failure, for not taking into account the social cost of raising a stupid baby.
:D
Quite a nasty assumption to make that the rich are smarter...did anyone else hear about the Xavier College fiasco? But im at a fairly scummy public school, so I'm biased. Despite the school being scummy, most of the people there are OK. I reckon a better idea would be harsher penalties for violence, assault, rape, pedophilia, etc. Maybe vasectomies to all the rapists.;)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
John President said:
Quite a nasty assumption to make that the rich are smarter...did anyone else hear about the Xavier College fiasco? But im at a fairly scummy public school, so I'm biased. Despite the school being scummy, most of the people there are OK. I reckon a better idea would be harsher penalties for violence, assault, rape, pedophilia, etc. Maybe vasectomies to all the rapists.;)
Yeah, i considered that method too, but such a law would necessitate the use of force, of which i was trying to avoid. Hence the use of economics.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
nikolas said:
You Force people in jail though
Yeah, but that's accepted by society. Forced castration for convicted rapists would be something entirely new, and would then require a turbulent "getting to know you" period. And it's also an absolutist punishment, so it cannot be undone and leaves no room for the off-chance that the accused is innocent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)