equal first? (1 Viewer)

mkristie

HSC
hey guys, I was just wondering how they calculate your external mark if you're equal first place with another student? Because from what I've read, first rank automatically receives the highest external mark (I think?), so do both first ranks get the same mark or does their individual performance in the exam determine who gets the highest mark? I'm a little confused, any explanation would be appreciated :confused:

Flop21

HSC
You get your own exam mark, that's it.

Internal mark is the one that is a bit different.

D94

HSC
N/A
hey guys, I was just wondering how they calculate your external mark if you're equal first place with another student? Because from what I've read, first rank automatically receives the highest external mark (I think?), so do both first ranks get the same mark or does their individual performance in the exam determine who gets the highest mark? I'm a little confused, any explanation would be appreciated :confused:
That's for the the assessment mark, as in, the assessment mark of rank 1 will be adjusted so that it is equal to the highest exam mark out of any student in the cohort.

mkristie

HSC
That's for the the assessment mark, as in, the assessment mark of rank 1 will be adjusted so that it is equal to the highest exam mark out of any student in the cohort.
ohh okay, thank you for clearing that up! so basically what happens is: internal assessment mark of first rank gets adjusted so that it is equal to the highest exam mark in the cohort, and then we get our own individual HSC exam mark, and the two are averaged out to give us our overall mark? So although both equal first places get the same internal mark, they might end up getting different overall marks because of their external exam mark?

D94

HSC
N/A
ohh okay, thank you for clearing that up! so basically what happens is: internal assessment mark of first rank gets adjusted so that it is equal to the highest exam mark in the cohort, and then we get our own individual HSC exam mark, and the two are averaged out to give us our overall mark? So although both equal first places get the same internal mark, they might end up getting different overall marks because of their external exam mark?
When there are equal firsts, the assessment mark will be the average of the x highest exam marks (out of anyone) where x is the number of students ranked 1.

Students will keep their exam mark in any case.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If two equal firsts (or equal lasts) they average the top marks e.g. two students equal first and the top two marks on the exam are 98 and 90 they will both get 94 for their assessment mark and then keep their own exam mark of course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)