English - Use of Texts in Syllabus for Belonging Aspect. (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey, first post on this site so excuse me if this is in the wrong section or my information is a little vague.

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me if it were a bad idea of me to use Mary Shelley's Frankenstein in the belonging module for my essay. I'm aware that Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is a text designated in the Comparative study Module, but I found that using Frankenstein as a text in my belonging essay's fit perfectly. My teacher said that it wasn't specifically not allowed, but that markers may have a subconcious bias whilst marking my essay, as they are not aware that my the advanced English course at my school did not teach Frankenstein at any point.

Has anyone had any experience in using a text that crosses over each module? And if so, can you tell me your teachers recation or advice on this?

My half yearly exam is tomorrow and I plan on using Frankenstein as a text in my essay, but i need to take action to decide whether to use it in my trial and HSC exam.

Thanks.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Hey, first post on this site so excuse me if this is in the wrong section or my information is a little vague.

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me if it were a bad idea of me to use Mary Shelley's Frankenstein in the belonging module for my essay. I'm aware that Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is a text designated in the Comparative study Module, but I found that using Frankenstein as a text in my belonging essay's fit perfectly. My teacher said that it wasn't specifically not allowed, but that markers may have a subconcious bias whilst marking my essay, as they are not aware that my the advanced English course at my school did not teach Frankenstein at any point.

Has anyone had any experience in using a text that crosses over each module? And if so, can you tell me your teachers recation or advice on this?

My half yearly exam is tomorrow and I plan on using Frankenstein as a text in my essay, but i need to take action to decide whether to use it in my trial and HSC exam.

Thanks.
We had the exact same discussion about this in my English class.
My teacher didn't recommend us doing it. She said that the Board of Studies did actually specify something about how you're not supposed to use Module Texts for the Area of Study (but don't quote me on that).

Also, teachers often find this to be a reflection of laziness, so you'll already start off with a bad impression... therefore I wouldn't recommend it.

HSC
We had the exact same discussion about this in my English class.
My teacher didn't recommend us doing it. She said that the Board of Studies did actually specify something about how you're not supposed to use Module Texts for the Area of Study (but don't quote me on that).

Also, teachers often find this to be a reflection of laziness, so you'll already start off with a bad impression... therefore I wouldn't recommend it.
But what annoys me is that Frankenstein fits so perfectly into the Belonging aspect. We havn't done or even spoke about Frankenstein and it was my decison to choose and research and come up with my own aspects of belonging within the text.

I think it's ridiculous whne they say they view it as a reflection of laziness because in a case such as mine the word Frankenstein has not even been mentioned in my class. But due to the fact that the marker doesn't even know what school you come from they could never be sure, but are still in no position to make the assumption. I would like to know whether their is a rule explicitly stating that I can't use it. My teacher is an HSC marker and all he said was that SOME markers may have a subconscious bias... But I don't know...

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
But what annoys me is that Frankenstein fits so perfectly into the Belonging aspect. We havn't done or even spoke about Frankenstein and it was my decison to choose and research and come up with my own aspects of belonging within the text.

I think it's ridiculous whne they say they view it as a reflection of laziness because in a case such as mine the word Frankenstein has not even been mentioned in my class. But due to the fact that the marker doesn't even know what school you come from they could never be sure, but are still in no position to make the assumption. I would like to know whether their is a rule explicitly stating that I can't use it. My teacher is an HSC marker and all he said was that SOME markers may have a subconscious bias... But I don't know...
Yeah, I agree.
I would have liked to use Frankenstein as one of my related texts as well; however I think it's not your text specifically - it's any text on the Prescribed Texts list.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Why use the same text for two different modules?
It just shows lack of research and effort. There are plenty of texts you could use for belonging, it's so broad that you could bs anything into it.
But i don't think there is any rule against using the same text for two different modules.

0hNivlek

HSC
Same teacher told us not to use A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen for belonging since it's used in Module B.

ibrian

HSC
frankenstein in mod a has nothing to do with belonging so using it as a related text does actually show effort + research as you gotta relate it back to a completely diff concept imo. but my teachers always said stay away from using prescribed text as related

HSC
Why use the same text for two different modules?
It just shows lack of research and effort. There are plenty of texts you could use for belonging, it's so broad that you could bs anything into it.
But i don't think there is any rule against using the same text for two different modules.
Sorry, If you had read what I'd written before jumping in you'd note that our Year had not used Frankenstein elsewhere, and all research and idea creation was done by myself, thus showing research and effort.

Read before making a judgement, it helps and you'll stay out of trouble.

Thanks.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Sorry, If you had read what I'd written before jumping in you'd note that our Year had not used Frankenstein elsewhere, and all research and idea creation was done by myself, thus showing research and effort.

Read before making a judgement, it helps and you'll stay out of trouble.

Thanks.
As far as the marker is concerned you could well be using the same text. If you didn't know, the marker is not told what your prescribed text is as you remain anonymous. Go ahead and use it, just letting you know that the marker may take you as someone who has been too lazy to research a new text. :)

HSC
As far as the marker is concerned you could well be using the same text. If you didn't know, the marker is not told what your prescribed text is as you remain anonymous. Go ahead and use it, just letting you know that the marker may take you as someone who has been too lazy to research a new text. :)
And again, you can almost read word for word that i stated these exact facts in my previous posts and said markers should not make assumptions.

Again, i stress, read before passing judgement, you'll stay out of even further trouble.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
And again, you can almost read word for word that i stated these exact facts in my previous posts and said markers should not make assumptions.

Again, i stress, read before passing judgement, you'll stay out of even further trouble.
Well, markers do make assumptions.

So keep stressing.

ANTMfan91

HSC
Our teacher told us not to use any text on the perscribed text as related material, even if its from Standard and you do Advanced, or an ESL text for Extension. I'm pretty sure she said it was a rule of some kind but she stressed the fact that no text that appears on the list should be used as related material

jet

Banned
HSC
Our teacher told us not to use any text on the perscribed text as related material, even if its from Standard and you do Advanced, or an ESL text for Extension. I'm pretty sure she said it was a rule of some kind but she stressed the fact that no text that appears on the list should be used as related material
Lol I wouldn't be using an ESL text for Extension anyway.

But our teacher said that there is absolutely no rule about using the same text between courses, for example, using an english extension text in advanced, which is what i did. Our teacher also said that the only hazy area is inter-module texts. The markers have no way of knowing whether you have done it or not.
The point to consider though, is that markers have to assume that you have done it in the other module, because otherwise, what happens to those people who do use a text from another module because they were lazy, and could not be bothered. Would you risk giving those people marks for that text when you don't know that fact?

bored of sc

HSC
frankenstein in mod a has nothing to do with belonging
The monster does not belong to the rest of society as it/he is the only one of his kind. Frankenstein does not belong as he is abandoning the moral coding of the Romantic Era in relation to science and technology (creating a human organism); as a result, he becomes deserted from his family/relatives/friends and is riddled with loneliness and despondency.

True. Shelley's Frankenstein has nothing to do with belonging. But the syllabus say 'not belonging' should be drawn upon too.

ibrian

HSC
The monster does not belong to the rest of society as it/he is the only one of his kind. Frankenstein does not belong as he is abandoning the moral coding of the Romantic Era in relation to science and technology (creating a human organism); as a result, he becomes deserted from his family/relatives/friends and is riddled with loneliness and despondency.

True. Shelley's Frankenstein has nothing to do with belonging. But the syllabus say 'not belonging' should be drawn upon too.
lol sorry u're using it out of context of what i was trying to say. i meant that when we study frankenstain in mod a, we dont touch on the aspect of belonging within that module, but does have belonging issues like you said.

HSC
i dont necessarily think it'd go down well with the markers if you use a prescribed text.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)