English Study Thread (for HSC 2006) (1 Viewer)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
This is the best place to start the English Study Thread not in any of the hsc forums which are still in the hands of the class of '05 and flooded with syllabus-burning, exam thoughts and hundreds of 'thank god it's over' and 'i failed'.

So which texts are you doing?
Which journey are you doing? Physical, imaginative or inner?

We're here to help each other on that new, blue and cloudy and smooth piece of paper, called the stimulus booklet. (i can imagine myself burning it when HSC exams are over) and other general stuff.

Feel free to post questions and comments.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
still have a yr 11 eng extension assignment to do...

but for advanced we're doing the speeches bs. :rolleyes:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
not sure which concept of journey were doin, but im hopin its "inner". uhmm the texts were studyin are "raw", "the club" and "witness".

Riviet

HSC
N/A
We're doing Huckleberry Finn for physical journeys. I'm having a little trouble finding some related material, anyone got some ideas on what i should use?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
For me:
- Area Of Study Focus is Physical Journeys and we're doing Peter Skrzynecki poems
- Module A: Image - Strictly Ballroom
- Module B: Drama - The Shoe-horn Sonata
- Module C: The Institution and Individual Experience - Raw
I'm actually kind of looking forward to reading 'Raw' because I heard it's a good novel. As for the stimulus booklet, I really wanted to use 'The Road Not Taken' for my essay because it's the easiest in my opinion to write about, but I was disappointed to realise that I can't because I'm already doing poems as prescribed texts....
At this stage, I'm searching for a film to do with Physical Journeys which must have some relation to any of the Skrzynecki poems. Why? Well, for our essay assessment task we MUST DO A FILM!!! damn.....! Anyone know any good films involving Physical Journeys and has some link to emigration or Skrzynecki poems?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Don't go shouting it all over the school but i heard Castaway and Road to Perdition are some good movies that you can probably use, i don't know if they relate to emigration or Skrzynecki poems.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
For me:
- Area Of Study Focus is Physical Journeys and we're doing Peter Skrzynecki poems
- Module A: Image - Strictly Ballroom
- Module B: Drama - The Shoe-horn Sonata
- Module C: The Institution and Individual Experience - Raw
I'm actually kind of looking forward to reading 'Raw' because I heard it's a good novel. As for the stimulus booklet, I really wanted to use 'The Road Not Taken' for my essay because it's the easiest in my opinion to write about, but I was disappointed to realise that I can't because I'm already doing poems as prescribed texts....
At this stage, I'm searching for a film to do with Physical Journeys which must have some relation to any of the Skrzynecki poems. Why? Well, for our essay assessment task we MUST DO A FILM!!! damn.....! Anyone know any good films involving Physical Journeys and has some link to emigration or Skrzynecki poems?

the first module that we are doing is instututions and the individuals experience and havin read raw, i can say that it is quite interesting and that it is really simple and easy to write out, for most of the examples are "in your face".

for physical journies ill say Lord of the rings (maybe a bit long), rabbit proof fence, cast away and prob the wizard of oz, but not sure if it relates ..

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
the English forums are '06's now ;)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Rafy said:
the English forums are '06's now ;)
Hey yeah, you're right, the hsc exams are over for english! Woohoo!! ^_^
P.S This thread should be move straight to the english forums

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
The year 12s still own it. We'll officially own it soon but so far, this thread applies to year 11ers.

P

pLuvia

AoS - Physical Journey
Module A - In the Wild // BR/BNW
Module B - King Lear
Module C - Telling the Truth // Frontline

klaw

HSC
AOS core text: Peter Skrzynecki poems
Module A: BR/BNW
Module B: Speeches
Module C: Antony and Cleo

Starting speeches first

HamuTarou

Ar U TaLkiNG 2 Me?! o.O
HSC
wat? no one's doin imaginative? coleridge?

i am...
AOS: imaginative journey, coleridge and his poems
mod a: hamlet and (......)crantz and guilderstern are dead (i forgot the name)
mod b: wuthering heights
mod c: frontline

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
*gasp*

English "study" thread? But the journey has barely started.

*shows self the door, again*

Last edited:

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
"The door" ...ey?

Since year 11's over, i'd might as well burn the change booklet....

xx__savannah

HSC
Just curious, with the Stimulus Booklets you woulda got, do they say '2004 and 2005' on them,cos it seems like my school got the wrong ones.

We've just started doing Inner Journeys now, using Sally Morgan's 'My Place' as prescribed text. I don't know what we're doing for the modules Transformation and Critical Study. My teacher is in two minds about doing Hamlet/Emma or King Lear/Cloudstreet (I think that's right), so she's deciding after marking this years HSC questions on them.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
i believe that those 2004-2005 stimulus booklets are for us too. We're using the same booklets as the year above used. They haven't printed the new ones for us. The only difference, i heard, is that on the first page it'll have '2005-2006' on it.

Is that the one that the one with ivory trail, wind in the willows and blood on the tracks?

xx__savannah

HSC
yeah, it's exactly the same as the grade above. I must say, it does make finding texts easier =)
What I think is the stupid about the booklets, is apparently you have to talk about the graphics as well. That sounds like a load of bull to me -- they're so random and pixelated it seems irrelivant to the text.

klaw

HSC
just talk about how it relates to the type of journey you're doing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)