English: Standard vs. Advanced (1 Viewer)

What's your view?

• Advanced isn\'t that much harder and it\'s not worth doing standard

Votes: 27 65.9%
  • Standard is a lot easier and it is easier to get a good mark

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • You can\'t get as good a mark in Standard no matter how well you do

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • I have no idea. Seems much of a muchness to me

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
In reference to my post in Sticky: School/Subject, I was curious whether standard english is that much easier than advanced. I did advanced for the HSC and I never really saw the big difference like there is between 2u General and 2u maths...

Can anyone give me some insight???

Cheers.

GJ_JOE

blood brother
my english teacher said that advanced english is much more difficult than 4U maths...i didn't do either subject but about 5 of my friends who did both dropped from adv. eng because they couldn't handle it (but all did well in 4U)

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
well i guess it depends on what your forte is... coz i found advanced english ok (not easy but enjoyable) yet i dropped 2u maths at the end of year 11 coz i couldnt handle it, but killed general. i dont think you can compare english and maths coz it depends what you are good at or enjoy.

foxy

i was made for lovin u...
the board of studies liason officer who came to our school said that no one in Standard English has ever got a Band 6 hsc exam mark .YET!

then she said, if someone in standard english did get a band 6 result they should've been doing advanced english and her whole comment was totally irrelevent in the end, because she was beating around the bush the whole time!!! :mad:

del

HSC
N/A
Ended up doing Advanced for the HSC.... but I did do 1 term of Standard in Year 12.... Was doing Adv in year 11, moved down to Standard for yr 12 then about one and a half modules in, moved back up to Advance following some words of wisdom :D Crazy catching up though.

Even if you don't like English (like me) but think you can handle Advanced do it.... its strange in a way, but the 1 term I had of Standard was actually quite hard, in particular I found doing Strictly Ballroom was alot harder than Frontline for some strange reason.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by GJ_JOE
my english teacher said that advanced english is much more difficult than 4U maths...i didn't do either subject but about 5 of my friends who did both dropped from adv. eng because they couldn't handle it (but all did well in 4U)
I dont think its more difficult than 4U maths - if ur a maths genius, then yeah maybe, but generally, advanced english is pretty easy if u have good essay writing skills, and understand wat u have to write to get maximum marks

tt_j65

HSC
Originally posted by underthesun
I want to f*** myself for not doing advanced. now im stuck in standard. someone enlighten me..
same :mad:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Advanced English was hard? OK... Maybe it was boring, but it wasn't a tough subject...

I was told back in year 10 that nobody taking standard English would get a mark in the Band 6 range as that was reserved for the Advanced students, even though they were both separate subjects.

Last edited:

GJ_JOE

blood brother
I want to f*** myself for not doing advanced. now im stuck in standard. someone enlighten me..
same here, i never knew standard would be so easy...but i still got into uni with the easy route

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I am really glad I did advanced-I don't think it was actually any harder than standard...although maybe a little more work.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
uh,, maybe I'm changing the subject of conversation here, but is it possible to get 99+ UAI if you have english(standard) + chemistry + physics + 4unit maths?

I hate the way my parents are expecting a 99 uai. And I'm now in the position of regretting choosing standard english, as before people were regretting not being accelerated in maths like me..

Juliet

HSC
In year 10 my teacher told me to do Advanced English but i choose to do Standard because I detest English and I also didn't need it. At the end of year 11 I was ranked 4/45. So I guess it was the right decision. I am very glad that I did standard. My friends who do advanced have quite a larger workload than I seem to have. Its not like i learn anything in English anyway...:p

GJ_JOE

blood brother
uh,, maybe I'm changing the subject of conversation here, but is it possible to get 99+ UAI if you have english(standard) + chemistry + physics + 4unit maths?

I hate the way my parents are expecting a 99 uai. And I'm now in the position of regretting choosing standard english, as before people were regretting not being accelerated in maths like me..
does that mean I have to work like hell? :(

hope next year's scaling gets screwed and results in standard getting scaled unreasonably high..
i guy at my school did those subjects and ended up getting 99.2 or 99.3....and his one of those guys does next to no studying and spends most of his time playing video games :( ...(his doing some 12year medicine course at UNSW now)..

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Advanced for me.

Sydney Boys' only offer Advanced.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Frigid
Advanced for me.

Sydney Boys' only offer Advanced.
basically all selective schools only offer Advanced

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MinAi
basically all selective schools only offer Advanced
*shrugs*
Mine didn't ... although we only had a class of around 20 Standard students compared with the 150 Advanced students.

does that mean I have to work like hell? :(

hope next year's scaling gets screwed and results in standard getting scaled unreasonably high..
doubt that would happen- no one is yet to get a band 6 in standard- i would love to see it one day though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)