English School Certificate in 17hours and 20 mins... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
Hey, I have crammed like History and Science And maths, but not much English.

Anybody have an notes I could use??

Please, it would be really helpful if you did.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Hey, I have crammed like History and Science And maths, but not much English.

Anybody have an notes I could use??

Please, it would be really helpful if you did.
Just study up on techniques and think of short story ideas.

The_Sights

HSC
I just downloaded some notes from here.I can email them to you if youd like? or just search for them,I havent read them yet though so they may not be that crash hot:idea:

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
u dont need notes for english.

just practice from past papers

Tofuu

HSC
for english just study for techniques, for the story well, i didn't study for that, i made stuff up on the spot

got band 5

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
If the extended response is a creative piece, then I'm going to be very happy. I always get really high marks for creative writing :)

alex_barca

HSC
Important Techniques you should know:

Alliteration- The repeating of the same consonant sound (Example: Marilyn Monroe, notice the two M's)

Onomatopoeia- Using words which represent the sound of something (Example: Clang, Woof, Buzz, Meow)

Cliche- A phrase which is overused.

Assonance-
The repeated use of a vowel sound.

Simile- A comparison between two things using 'like' or 'as'.

Metaphor- a figure of speech in which one thing is referred to as another; for example, “my love is a fragile flower”.

Personification- Giving an object or non-living thing a human-like feature. 'The tree was sad'' Trees dont have feelings so its personification.

xSkyla

HSC
Don't worry about english too much. =] Most of the stuff is just logical, and just use process of elimination.

I've read somewhere that a good tip (for multiple choice) is to read the first paragraph of an article, skim read the body, and read all of the last paragraph. Then go do the questions. This way you have an idea of where each answer might be in the text. Reading the whole thing just wastes precious time.

Planning is essential for extended response (as the teachers always say) I use my reading time to go think of an idea so when i get up to it i can jump straight into it.

I didn't study for the trials and i almost got band 6. The other subjects are more important to study for since they have so much content x.x

oh, and read a bit on different techniques. From what i've seen on past papers they always ask a question on whether something is a homophone, metaphor, jargon etc.

Last edited:

leungz

HSC
English School Cert is easy peasy, remember all techiques from literary to visual to sound and you will be fine

Also learn the conventions of all the genres in English like how to structure narratives, short stories, speeches, feature articles, editorials

:p and sleep, and eat before exam, and read texts carefully when answering the question

Tonight you should get past papers and practice them =]

Good Luck !!!!

HSC 2010: Extension 1 English, General Mathematics, Ancient History, Modern History, Economics, Business Studies, Extension History

HSC
sc doesnt matter unles ure a bogan who wants to drop out and smoke/drink/bash for a living

joeljuice

HSC
don't panic :)
the school certificate has been made to give everyone in new south wales a fair go.
it needs to cater for the lower and higher standard schools.
for example, a school like bankstown high or jannali high school in the sutherland shire have low standards so the exam caters for the people with lower intelligence whilst catering for the intelligent people from schools like kirrawee high school and smiths hill high school etc will have a much better chance because the tests standards are so much lower than their schools standard.

no offence to the bankstown and jannali high school people :)

good luck with the exams people :)

Deathless

HSC
Lol relax. I got like band 6 in school cert and I was ranked like 100th + in my school (below average) so yeah just relax.The only hard thing is civics. I basically was coming first in my school in both geo and hist but all I got in the end was band 5 - maybe i stuffed up in the exam cus I was a bit tired that day for the hist one...

blackratpoo

HSC
Lol relax. I got like band 6 in school cert and I was ranked like 100th + in my school (below average) so yeah just relax.The only hard thing is civics. I basically was coming first in my school in both geo and hist but all I got in the end was band 5 - maybe i stuffed up in the exam cus I was a bit tired that day for the hist one...
really? i was the other way round. geo and his got high B6's and eng low B5 but im dead shit at geo.

good luck 2011'. i remember last year when people told me the SC was useless i got really frustrated coz its the biggest set of exams they have ever done in their lives. so try your best coz it is practically a mini-hsc. the marks will fly in if you master the art of bullshitting.

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
Review literary technqiues and how to write different textual forms. Have a vague idea for a creative writing and remember for essay style questions, ANSWER THE QUESTION. Whilst this may sound stupid, many people fail to do this. At the end of each of you paragraphs after arguing your point relate it back to how it answers the question.

Have your pens ready. Sleep early. Have a healthy breakfast. Time yourself well. Concentrate and give it your best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)