english paper 1 (1 Viewer)

sappho22

HSC
bro i wasn't planning on studying much after paper 1 (except quote memorisation for p2 and modern) but i feel a bit guilt tripped by everyone else seeming to be working

tgone

HSC
fr modern is doomed i'm in denial until after paper 2

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
How did you do for it? Probably one of the most generic questions I've seen for the text lmao
Tbh the vagueness of the question lowkey caught me off guard, like im more used to doing those double barrelled questions (e.g Analyse how Orwell represents the individual and collective) and the extract so I spent like a good 10 mins just thinking it through.

I just talked about a set of emotions e.g anger, hope, grief, lust, fear, paranoia........ and so on which I could BS from the quotes I knew. I then tried to link it back to the prose feature techniques, I avoided talking about form even though it would've been so good since I was worried that ppl who talk about form weren't answering the question part of "prose fiction features" so I just stook to stuff like metaphors, imagery, symbolism, motifs and stream of conscious feature etc. .

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Me starting to study for paper 2 now 💀. But luckily, its just revision and remembering stuff today for me. Hows everyone else going on?
Nothing much u can do now bro ig, im just making sure my memorised shit is memorised, revise the quotes for Mod A and pray to god/s for Mod C because fuck that module

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
bro i wasn't planning on studying much after paper 1 (except quote memorisation for p2 and modern) but i feel a bit guilt tripped by everyone else seeming to be working
PAPER 1 HAS NOT FORSAKEN ME, I HOPE PAPER 2 WILL REMAIN CLEAR AND BRIGHT, DO NOT LET IT BE MY DOWNFALL!!
dont feel bad, I like many others think I did rlly good for the exam considering it was pre generic but we could've done better somewhere whether it be Section 1 or 2, anyways we got P2 next so we can make up there

whatdoiputhere

HSC
Tbh the vagueness of the question lowkey caught me off guard, like im more used to doing those double barrelled questions (e.g Analyse how Orwell represents the individual and collective) and the extract so I spent like a good 10 mins just thinking it through.

I just talked about a set of emotions e.g anger, hope, grief, lust, fear, paranoia........ and so on which I could BS from the quotes I knew. I then tried to link it back to the prose feature techniques, I avoided talking about form even though it would've been so good since I was worried that ppl who talk about form weren't answering the question part of "prose fiction features" so I just stook to stuff like metaphors, imagery, symbolism, motifs and stream of conscious feature etc. .
I had a similar problem as you, usually I have an essay prepped for individual and shared human experience, but I themed my essay around how Orwell emphasises that emotion, "sympathy, love, curiosity" were essential to a meaningful human experience, and his satirical mockery of Oceania as a place devoid of it was a juxtaposition that highlighted its importance.

Stuff like power of memory and language I moulded to be effectively Orwell's representation of the Party's curtailing of 'emotional' resistance, "Thoughtcrime would be impossible...because it would become literally impossible to express it", also good to put in Syme's quote, "orthodoxy is unconsciousness". Basically switch around Orwell's statement against totalitarianism to that + the need for emotions and other aspects of the human condition/experience for a meaningful life

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I had a similar problem as you, usually I have an essay prepped for individual and shared human experience, but I themed my essay around how Orwell emphasises that emotion, "sympathy, love, curiosity" were essential to a meaningful human experience, and his satirical mockery of Oceania as a place devoid of it was a juxtaposition that highlighted its importance.

Stuff like power of memory and language I moulded to be effectively Orwell's representation of the Party's curtailing of 'emotional' resistance, "Thoughtcrime would be impossible...because it would become literally impossible to express it", also good to put in Syme's quote, "orthodoxy is unconsciousness". Basically switch around Orwell's statement against totalitarianism to that + the need for emotions and other aspects of the human condition/experience for a meaningful life

Yea i did something similar to just that, I just changed my focus of my quotes to how it represents emotion and how orwell uses a certain feature in prose to do that

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
not me realising the question was about form (prose features for 1984) AFTER THE GODDAM EXAM. welp it is time to change my uac preferences fellas :')
I mean we have paper 2 which could save your speculation of misunderstanding the question. Even then, you should be fine if you mentioned the explicit features on top of form (i.e. the purpose of the genre) had you included them in your analysis. If you described aspects of characterisation (i.e. Winston's changing character, the setting.... etc) then thas also considered prose "features"

d1zzyohs

HSC
yeah, for everyone worrying so much about 'form'; your analysis most likely covers that anyways. the question was very, very broad, and paper 1 is quite forgiving.
I honestly think paper 2 won't be too bad, and were all panicing too much. Let's all just wait till tomorrow! NESA let us off the hook for this one!

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
yeah, for everyone worrying so much about 'form'; your analysis most likely covers that anyways. the question was very, very broad, and paper 1 is quite forgiving.
I honestly think paper 2 won't be too bad, and were all panicing too much. Let's all just wait till tomorrow! NESA let us off the hook for this one!
Yeah I included some form features to tie it in but I'm pretty sure as long as you refer to a diverse range of features which represent emotion or watever ur supposed to talk abt, it should be fine since its not specific on stylistic elements or structure. As you say no point in panicking, I'm sure everyone did copious amounts of analysis and they engaged a question to an extent it is just as good.

Lets make sure we spend more time on they key terms tomorrow as a silver lining

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)