English Listening Task (1 Viewer)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I am not expert in this field, however, our teacher told us to NOT answer the questions on the first go, write down some main ideas. On your second time, write down some quotes.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
If you get to listen to it twice, try to pay really close attention the first time and listen to the whole thing, and if you're good at multitasking, then you could jot really fast notes down of something you think is important.

If there is no second listening where you can make longer notes, then I would advise concentrating on ideas explored, characterisation, what techniques are used in the text (if the task is focussed on this). Just try to absorb as much as you can, and maybe you will be told what to listen for - vaguely.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Firstly, do the best you can to remain focused during the task. If it's possible read the questions prior to the commencement of the listening component. (I know with my school, we get a couple minutes to read the questions before they play recording). Jot down any key ideas you can point out during the listening task, keeping the questions in mind. If you get a second time to listen to the recording, then focus on writing down relevant ideas, quotes and concepts that relate to your question.

The idea is absorb as much information as you can in the two listenings (generally, it's two). The way this is approached will differ depending on what sort of learner you are; if you are one who remembers by writing then write as many notes as you can during the second listening, however if you learn by hearing; then focus more so on listening to the information and techniques presented in the recording.

Good Luck. n_n I am glad that I have completed my last Listening Task for English already.

HyperComplexxx

ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
HSC
thanks for replies
Guess i gotta try write down a crap loads of notes while listening cause i gotta write an essay on it and my prescribed T.T

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Just remember your school mates are most likely experiencing the same thing as you so don't get too worried by it.

Deathless

HSC
If you get to listen to it twice, try to pay really close attention the first time and listen to the whole thing, and if you're good at multitasking, then you could jot really fast notes down of something you think is important.

If there is no second listening where you can make longer notes, then I would advise concentrating on ideas explored, characterisation, what techniques are used in the text (if the task is focussed on this). Just try to absorb as much as you can, and maybe you will be told what to listen for - vaguely.
This. Except try to take notes at the same time. Take general notes the first listening and go more specific the second - building on the general notes with specific notes that you think are fitting to the question given.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I remember we weren't allowed to take notes for the first listening when I did it.

angelarr

HSC
We had a listening task last term and we were allowed to listen to it twice. We were only allowed to take notes on the 2nd hearing.
So, for the first hearing, don't try to identify all the techniques you can: "oh that's a simile" because then you'll miss out on other points. On the first hearing, just listen to the whole recording, and try to really understand what it's saying.
If you've got a pretty good idea on what the recording is about, then taking notes will be a lot easier in the 2nd hearing.
During the 2nd hearing, pay attention to the background sounds: because it's a listening task, there's bound to be some audio/oral techniques which will be effective - don't just take note of the literary ones.

And definitely plan your response if it's an extended one! Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)