English Is Hard (1 Viewer)

cyko

HSC
How is everyone doing in english advanced?
i'm finding it difficult.
Seems to me my teachers are either hard markers or i just plain suck ..
the overall year from my school fairvale high
hasn't been doing well in english at all ...
barely ne1 managed to pass and the average for advance is like
umm
32% ... i got 40% w00t passed the average at least .

Use to be quite confident of my skills in english .. but lately its not been going well ..
atm i'm doing transformations and comparing texts 'taming of the shrew' and '10 things i hate about you'

Anybody got suggestsions on how to prepare for english exams that basically involve a whole lot of writing? lol

Usually, when i'm givign english assessments, etc. i do them on my computer .. sitrahgt away, i check, fix, publish and then print. I should get out of this habit and start practicing writing on paper shouldn't i, setting myself a time limit?

How do we all cope with the pressue of an exam .. Everything usually becomes so hectic, like ur in another world where time just flies.

I need to get myself a watch .. lol

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
I also write essays on my comp and you have to remember that you have to cut down the length a lot for a written exam otherwise you just won't finish in time.

astro

HSC
i'm doing taming of the shrew and 10 things i hate about you too....

capsicum

HSC
astro said:
i'm doing taming of the shrew and 10 things i hate about you too....
omigosh! me too! this is for transformations right, astro?

english is just different compared to what it was in junior years. my english is really horrible too, i dont know how to get it back up. i need help with elaborating techniques and stuff... :(

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
english is about having strong arugements to back up with your interpretation/analysis.

Hoplite

HSC
Whoever set the texts for some of these modules really make some dumb decisions.

I mean, 10 things I hate about you, Clueless?

Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel!!

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
@Astro: What school do you go to?

@ Cyko: I'm studying transformations - 'The Taming of the Shrew' and '10 Things I Hate About You' as well. I think you should start writing essays etc. by hand rather than on the computer because you can't bring your computer with you into exams. Just remember RESL when you're writing essays etc.
R aise the point
E xplain the point
S upport the point
L ink the point

Good Luck!

mandy_angel18

HSC
I find English Advanced rather difficult too. Considering last yr i got band 6 in english for the school cert and now i'm getting 50% in my assessments. Mayb ur teachers are harsh markers.I mean in prelim they're marking like the HSC even tho we have another 12 months to go. The highest mark for an english assessments at our skool is 16/20 which is pretty crap if u think about it.Not to mention the teachers are soooo into unseen questions!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
mandy_angel18 said:
I find English Advanced rather difficult too. Considering last yr i got band 6 in english for the school cert and now i'm getting 50% in my assessments. Mayb ur teachers are harsh markers.I mean in prelim they're marking like the HSC even tho we have another 12 months to go. The highest mark for an english assessments at our skool is 16/20 which is pretty crap if u think about it.Not to mention the teachers are soooo into unseen questions!
I am having the same problem and its hard to fix a problem u have neva had before....anyone got advice?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I stumbled out of the blocks for the 1st term (4th term last year) but its going ok now :D

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
mandy_angel18 said:
maybe they're deliberately setting high standards? in one way, it doesn't matter, because as long as EVERYONE finds it hard (and if the top mark is only 16/20 then it seems that this is the case) it won't affect your rankings - you'll all be scaled up. our teachers did the same thing - marking closer to hsc standards than what we were expecting, but i think it was better in the end - that way this year wasn't such a shock for us.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
i find english difficult... and i dont put that much efffort.. i just read some1z notes or the study guide like a few days before trials/exams ...
but my marks seem to be 83-85 on average though which is pretty good

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
i find english pretty interesting... well at least more so that maths.. ALOT more so :D

however.. i find that english is very unpredictable..
my marks so far are..
Creative Writing : 95% (1st) (average: 70%)
Comparative Study: 60% (extremely low) (average: 65%)
Area of Study: 87% (8th) (average: 47%)

just practice writing... find the best method to remember your stuff... read alot of notes and the texts a couple of times... watch the films a few times..
i'm jus hoping there isn't a pattern.. meaning.. next assessment.. the main one.. i will fail..

oh well patterns is associated with maths.. and maths SUX :D

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
eng is hard, just learn some good essays (main points, quotes etc.) that you can manipulate and use in the exam and if you have worked everything will work out fine

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I'm screwing up, too. 60% average. Was coming in the top 10 in year 10 English, now I'm in the top 45. o_O

My language, punctuation, grammar, et cetera are all fine. I'm even very good at analysing and thinking conceptually. But when it comes down to explaining it in an essay, I either do it perfectly, or am so ambiguous they have no clue what I mean. Really hard.

Not to mention my teacher marks like it's an HSC class.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
my class in general is screwing up big-time: our teacher went on hols and when came back couldnt face teaching anymore so retired - so we got a bloody casual who cant write, spell or think for himself. example: watching frontline, the guy just doesnt understand half the time that they're sending current affairs ppl up - we saw brook going 'whats a smart look?' when she had to do it for a pre-record, then we can hear the teacher muttering under his breath 'shes got a point though, ive never been able to get the smart look properly'. he then sees us listening, blushes and walks to other side of the room. had to resist temptation to tell him exactly why hes never been able to get that 'smart look' exactly right...
i just thank god every day that i dont have probs with english. GOD BLESS ENGLISH!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
boasboy said:
i find english pretty interesting...well at least more so than maths
couldnt agree more. too many formulas in maths - and whats with all the stupid approximating stuff for things that u can find directly and exactly? ugh. takes 3 lines to use Newtons methods and 3/4 page to do it by having the interval. damn maths to the seventh circle of hell. i shall get my revenge one day.

Ace-Of-Spades

HSC
Man, eng is the worst, ppl call it interesting i call it a waste of time....srsly, it should be an elective in year 11 and 12.....Srsly, by year 11 and 12:
1. Most ppl know what they wanna be
2. Most ppl know how to write....

I can live without being creative

(After i finnish skool...i wont care, just annoying me now)

Answer: Its hard and boring

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)