English/History... or anything else Humanities related (1 Viewer)

omg_a

HSC
I was looking at the courses list for International Relations yesterday and i noticed that a lot of the Arts courses seem to say Semester 1 only or Semester 2 only. Is this the same from year to year? or does it vary? if it varies, when will we find out which courses will be offerred when in 2005?

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Bolkonski said:
like americans trying to sound australian.... shudder..

AWWW STRAAAHHHH LIAAA
it goes a bit further than that....

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
cherryblossom said:
it goes a bit further than that....
Like Chinese trying to sound Australian perhaps? :rolleyes:

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
neo_o said:
Like Chinese trying to sound Australian perhaps? :rolleyes:
lol yes
but it's even worse than that
though, if you put me on the radio you probably couldn't tell

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
cherryblossom said:
lol yes
but it's even worse than that
though, if you put me on the radio you probably couldn't tell
*hugs* don't try and deny it now :)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
neo_o said:
*hugs* don't try and deny it now :)
don't you patronise me now shane
seeing how nice and adorable I am I'll give you a pre asian studies asian studies lesson
repeat after me
wo yao bang cherry xi nei yi :D

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
cherryblossom said:
don't you patronise me now shane
seeing how nice and adorable I am I'll give you a pre asian studies asian studies lesson
repeat after me
wo yao bang cherry xi nei yi :D
I wouldn't mind washing your underwear^^

Last edited:

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
I just have to put in a 'yay' for Foundations of U.S. History - the best first year history course i did. I initally only took it to fill up units but ended up loving it, really well taught, good assesment, reaonable work load. I'd definetly recomend it to anyone, even if (or especially if) you think you disike America/Americans.

Also need to say i HATED Rome: Republic to Empire. I think it was mainly the lecturer, but this class drove me mad. I would back up what has been previously siad though and recomend this course for students who are very interested in historiography - great empasis on source analysis

I also really enjoyed Europe in the Modern Era - huge subject, but really well done, and Chris Forth who does a few of the lectures is fantastic.

I would advise people to stay away from Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome, or at least to not attend the lectures if they do take it - its a very easy course, and some of the readings are really interesting, but its very, very, very vauge and i thought the lecturer was a bit of a nut-job.

And Illuminating the Dark Ages? Just say no kids, just say no. Soooo painful.

As for English, i haven't actually taken any of the first year courses being run this year, but i can say that Libbio Dobrez (Aust Lit) is a very nice guy, very flexable and understanding, a pretty good teacher, though i think he puts forward his personal opinions a little bit too much in lectures. And Ian Wright is pretty cool too, i think My Generation sounds like a fantastic course and i am jealous i can't take it.

To the person who asked if lecturers should be a consideration in chosing courses, i'd say yes and no. I think first year you are meant to experience a lot of different courses and teachers, and use this to make more educated selections in later years when who lecturers in a subject will become more important in the decision making process. So i guess you should probarbly disregard all the stuff in the above paragraph and make up your own minds.

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
Dobrez with personal opinions... what else has studying lit come to? its all just opinions now. or if you want to be... intelligent, they call them 'readings'.

Wright is an awesome teacher I thought. A little sex obsessed however.

Dobrez is a maniac, you can't stop him talking. He is a machine.

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Yoru right about Wright, i don't think i have ever sat through a lecture of his with out hearing him say 'now i don't think its just me and my dirty mind here, when Tolstoy refers to cheese in this passage, he is obviously talking aout sex...' or some similar comment

Just with Dobrez, he tends to present his opinions as fact a bit. I'm not saying that people can't learn from others opinions, particuarly in a disipline that is all abotu interperation, i just found it a kind of annoying habit. He's very cool in tuts, really good one on one

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
Yeah.. ok, I get your point. I guess I only got a whif of the guy in various lectures during first year. Taking one of his courses this year though... or two.. i cant remember.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)